Dietrich-Von Sternberg in Hollywood Boxed Set Coming

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

buskeat

Dietrich-Von Sternberg in Hollywood Boxed Set Coming

PostMon Apr 16, 2018 3:32 pm

Criterion Collection just announced this staggeringly amazing boxed set on DVD and Blu-Ray coming in July.

https://www.criterion.com/boxsets/1329-dietrich-von-sternberg-in-hollywood

Tasked by studio executives with finding the next great screen siren, visionary Hollywood director Josef von Sternberg joined forces with rising German actor Marlene Dietrich, kicking off what would become one of the most legendary partnerships in cinema history. Over the course of six films produced by Paramount in the 1930s, the pair refined their shared fantasy of pleasure, beauty, and excess. Dietrich’s coolly transgressive mystique was a perfect match for the provocative roles von Sternberg cast her in—including a sultry chanteuse, a cunning spy, and the hedonistic Catherine the Great—and the filmmaker captured her allure with chiaroscuro lighting and opulent design, conjuring fever-dream visions of exotic settings from Morocco to Shanghai. Suffused with frank sexuality and worldly irony, these deliriously entertaining masterpieces are landmarks of cinematic artifice.

Featuring Morocco, Dishonored, Shanghai Express, Blonde Venus, The Scarlet Empress and The Devil is a Woman.

New 2K or 4K digital restorations of all six films, with uncompressed monaural soundtracks on the Blu-rays
New interviews with film scholars Janet Bergstrom and Homay King; director Josef von Sternberg’s son, Nicholas; Deutsche Kinemathek curator Silke Ronneburg; and costume designer and historian Deborah Nadoolman Landis
New documentary about actor Marlene Dietrich’s German origins, featuring film scholars Gerd Gemünden and Noah Isenberg
New documentary on Dietrich’s status as a feminist icon, featuring film scholars Mary Desjardins, Amy Lawrence, and Patricia White
The Legionnaire and the Lady, a 1936 Lux Radio Theatre adaptation of Morocco, featuring Dietrich and actor Clark Gable
New video essay by critics Adrian Martin and Cristina Álvarez López
The Fashion Side of Hollywood, a 1935 publicity short featuring Dietrich and costume designer Travis Banton
Television interview with Dietrich from 1971
PLUS: A book featuring essays by critics Imogen Sara Smith, Gary Giddins, and Farran Smith Nehme

Danny Burk

Re: Dietrich-Von Sternberg in Hollywood Boxed Set Coming

PostMon Apr 16, 2018 3:37 pm

A lifetime dream! This is exactly the set I've called my #1 want for years. This makes my day...week...year!

Dean Thompson

PostMon Apr 16, 2018 5:55 pm

Oh. My. Gosh. How lucky are we? And all those extras sound wonderful, especially the book of essays.

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostMon Apr 16, 2018 7:07 pm

Also long-awaited: A Matter of Life and Death. So I guess Roger Livesey will make the masthead yet, even if we're still waiting on I Know Where I'm Going.
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

Changsham

PostTue Apr 17, 2018 4:51 am

Cool, this is great news. Have a few of these but all worth the upgrade.

Jim Roots

PostTue Apr 17, 2018 6:03 am

Mike Gebert wrote:Also long-awaited: A Matter of Life and Death. So I guess Roger Livesey will make the masthead yet, even if we're still waiting on I Know Where I'm Going.

Huh? They've already done I Know Where I'm Going.
https://www.criterion.com/films/633-i-k ... tocomplete

Jim

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostTue Apr 17, 2018 7:26 am

Old transfer, no blu-ray. It could use a freshening up.
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

s.w.a.c.

PostTue Apr 17, 2018 8:56 am

Great news, I'll be curious to see how they spiff up The Scarlet Empress. From what I've seen, the old Criterion DVD was a little too dark, while a UK or European DVD may have had better source material to work with, but transferred it a shade too light.
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

Javier

PostTue Apr 17, 2018 5:06 pm

s.w.a.c. wrote:Great news, I'll be curious to see how they spiff up The Scarlet Empress. From what I've seen, the old Criterion DVD was a little too dark, while a UK or European DVD may have had better source material to work with, but transferred it a shade too light.

That's the first thing I thought about. The Universal region 2 DVD seems a better transfer than the Criterion one.
Let's hope Criterion did an upgrade on this one. I am sure most of the Nitrateville members have all or most of them, but I will upgrade to Blu-ray. It would be nice if the same is done to the Von Sternberg Silents, I would certainly buy the box set again.
"it's a Kafka high, you feel like a bug"

Dean Thompson

PostTue Apr 17, 2018 6:21 pm

Javier wrote:
s.w.a.c. wrote:It would be nice if the same is done to the Von Sternberg Silents, I would certainly buy the box set again.

Same here. The Von Sternberg silents collection was about as beautiful and satisfying a box set as I've ever purchased.

brendangcarroll

PostWed Apr 18, 2018 3:04 pm

Yes, a welcome release. However as some here have commented already, I just hope that a proper restoration of The Scarlet Empress has finally been done.

Criterion's last DVD edition in 2001, which stated : "Luminous new digital transfer with restored image and sound" was absolutely dire.

The Universal Region 2 used a fine nitrate print held in the National Film Archive in London and it was FAR superior, though the image was cropped and the sound was often indestinct.

Of all von Sternberg's films, SCARLET EMPRESS is the one title that deserves the finest possible visual representation and restoration in order that we can all appreciate and enjoy the extraordinary visuals, lighting and photography.

I, for one, will not invest in this pricey set until I read the reviews and see some image comparisons at DVD Beaver

If anyone has seen an advance copy, please post a review! Thanks!
"Korngold has so much talent he could give half away and still have enough left for himself..." Giacomo Puccini (1921)

Return to Talkie News