Masterpiece Mystery - Sherlock Holmes

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

missdupont

Masterpiece Mystery - Sherlock Holmes

PostSun May 06, 2012 6:04 pm

The second season of Sherlock Holmes starring Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman starts tonight on PBS.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/she ... ason2.html

entredeuxguerres

Re: Masterpiece Mystery - Sherlock Holmes

PostSun May 06, 2012 10:12 pm

Give me a re-run of Jeremy Brett's Holmes.

boblipton

PostMon May 07, 2012 3:29 am

Thanks! I've been looking under "Mystery". Now I have to phone about ten people.....

Bob
His plagiarism was limited only by his faulty technique.

-- Peter Schickele

Marr&Colton

PostMon May 07, 2012 5:29 am

Having been involved with a local Sherlock Holmes Society on and off over the years, I've always been puzzled why so many people get excited over SO many new and old photoplay versions of Arthur Conan Doyle's stories.

Having read all of the short stories and novels in this series, it's amazing how often the mark is missed--(as in the Robert Downey films and others) All the British television versions have their strong points, but I've always been drawn to the NOIR atmosphere of the Basil Rathbone films and his uncanny similarity to Doyle's description of Holmes, the sometimes bumbling Watson not withstanding.

The fact that this entire series of Fox/Universal pictures is now on Blu-Ray is of much more significance to me, in my opinion.

When I read the Holmes stories, the drabness of smoky, Victorian London registers in my mind as black & white--not HD color.

milefilms

PostMon May 07, 2012 6:01 am

Taken as new re-workings of old friends, I really like the new Holmes and Watson. It's better than most TV shows out there and it's far better than the new movies. There's a real thought process and style behind the new show.
Dennis Doros
Milestone F&V

rudyfan

PostMon May 07, 2012 7:23 am

Absolutely fabulous episode last night. Just great writing and acting

entredeuxguerres

PostMon May 07, 2012 7:57 am

Marr&Colton wrote:Having read all of the short stories and novels in this series, it's amazing how often the mark is missed--(as in the Robert Downey films and others) All the British television versions have their strong points, but I've always been drawn to the NOIR atmosphere of the Basil Rathbone films and his uncanny similarity to Doyle's description of Holmes, the sometimes bumbling Watson not withstanding.

Comparing Rathbone's impersonation to Brett's...that's a hard call; I'd prefer to evade the question by calling it a dead heat. But as for Watson, always a critical element in the stories, there's simply no contest: adorable as Basil's big bumbler may be, he's almost the antithesis to Doyle's sharp, clever, energetic character, perfectly portrayed by that red-headed chap (?) in Brett's first couple of seasons.

Frederica

PostMon May 07, 2012 9:02 am

rudyfan wrote:Absolutely fabulous episode last night. Just great writing and acting

Must wait until it's available for streaming (bites nails).
Fred
"Every revelation you make is an illusion; so far, no one has succeeded in knowing you. Your white pumps literally go with any outfit."
Kim Kierkegaardashian
http://www.nitanaldi.com"
http://www.facebook.com/NitaNaldiSilentVamp"

Brooksie

PostMon May 07, 2012 9:05 am

The second series has already aired in Australia, and if you loved the first, you'll love this one (particularly the last episode - no spoilers!). Lovely to see such well-made television.

rudyfan

PostMon May 07, 2012 3:56 pm

Brooksie wrote:The second series has already aired in Australia, and if you loved the first, you'll love this one (particularly the last episode - no spoilers!). Lovely to see such well-made television.

Brooksie, I agree. This is television at it's finest. Well written, well acted, intelligent and hilarious. I was so enthralled with the first episode, half way through I clicked amazon to see if the DVD was available and pre-ordered it. I'm enjoying it more than Season 1.

missdupont

PostWed May 09, 2012 10:38 am

Here's the LA Times Review which notes the ironic touches and humor, as well as the humanistic touches to the characters.
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/ne ... 8136.story

Kelly

PostWed May 09, 2012 3:44 pm

OHHH I saw that last Sunday BTW I hear the dude that played Sherlock Holmes going in new Star Trek sequel in 2013 he going play mysterious villian

Don't tell me A Romulan or Klington :twisted:

boblipton

PostWed May 09, 2012 4:22 pm

The admiration is warranted, judging from the first season and A Scandal in Belgravia. However, calling Cumberbatch the most beautiful man to play the role.... well, Rathbone was a looker and so was Gillette.

Bob

-- Peter Schickele

Frederica

PostWed May 09, 2012 5:06 pm

Kelly wrote:OHHH I saw that last Sunday BTW I hear the dude that played Sherlock Holmes going in new Star Trek sequel in 2013 he going play mysterious villian

And Martin Freeman plays Bilbo Baggins in The Hobbit, so both Freeman and Cumberbatch now have well-established geek street cred. If they can cast Christopher Lee in an upcoming Holmes episode, nirvana will be reached.
Fred
"Every revelation you make is an illusion; so far, no one has succeeded in knowing you. Your white pumps literally go with any outfit."
Kim Kierkegaardashian

greta de groat

PostWed May 09, 2012 6:24 pm

boblipton wrote:The admiration is warranted, judging from the first season and A Scandal in Belgravia. However, calling Cumberbatch the most beautiful man to play the role.... well, Rathbone was a looker and so was Gillette.

Bob

John Barrymore!
Greta de Groat
Unsung Divas of the Silent Screen
http://www.stanford.edu/~gdegroat

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostWed May 09, 2012 7:30 pm

Eille Norwood is HAWT
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

fwtep

PostThu May 10, 2012 3:44 pm

Frederica wrote:
Kelly wrote:OHHH I saw that last Sunday BTW I hear the dude that played Sherlock Holmes going in new Star Trek sequel in 2013 he going play mysterious villian

And Martin Freeman plays Bilbo Baggins in The Hobbit, so both Freeman and Cumberbatch now have well-established geek street cred. If they can cast Christopher Lee in an upcoming Holmes episode, nirvana will be reached.

Cumberbatch is in The Hobbit too, as the voice of Smaug.

Frederica

PostThu May 10, 2012 4:33 pm

fwtep wrote:
Frederica wrote:And Martin Freeman plays Bilbo Baggins in The Hobbit, so both Freeman and Cumberbatch now have well-established geek street cred. If they can cast Christopher Lee in an upcoming Holmes episode, nirvana will be reached.

Cumberbatch is in The Hobbit too, as the voice of Smaug.

Geekapalooza!
Fred
Kim Kierkegaardashian

Scoundrel

PostThu May 10, 2012 7:25 pm

" Must wait until it's available for streaming (bites nails)."

http://watchseries.eu/serie/sherlock" target="_blank
" You can't take life too seriously...you'll never get out of it alive."

Blackhawk Films customer

Gregbert

PostSun May 13, 2012 7:09 pm

If anyone is interested, I wrote a very spoilerific article on the final episode of Series 2 The Reichenbach Fall. I know the final episode hasn't aired on PBS yet so those folks may want to stay away at the moment (or read at their own risk) but for those who have seen it, check it out:

http://from-the-archive.blogspot.com/
Check out my British television blog: From The Archive http://www.from-the-archive.co.uk/ for a look at the randomly selected program I am watching that week.

FrankFay

PostSun May 13, 2012 7:56 pm

I'm going to be picky- IMHO Cumberbatch does not mime the violin playing very well.
Eric Stott

mndean

PostSun May 13, 2012 8:33 pm

FrankFay wrote:I'm going to be picky- IMHO Cumberbatch does not mime the violin playing very well.

Isn't it awful when you're a musician and can easily spot bad miming? Violin is one of the harder ones to get right at that. When I saw Betty Compson in Street Girl, I sat up as I immediately saw she could play that accursed instrument.

FrankFay

PostSun May 13, 2012 8:57 pm

When I saw Ernest Torrence at the keyboard in DESERT NIGHTS it was obvious he was actually playing.
Eric Stott

Salty Dog

PostMon May 14, 2012 9:53 am

A particularly bad example of an actor miming a musical instrument is Andy Griffith in A Face in the Crowd. He doesn't seem to even know how to hold a guitar, let alone play it. It's too bad, it detracts from what is otherwise a marvelous performance.
Bill Coleman

rollot24

PostMon May 14, 2012 10:24 am

After last night's Hounds of Baskerville, as clever as the adaptation was, I must admit that I have never seen a screen adaptation of that story that doesn't put me to sleep. I'm talking, Rathbone, Lee, Brett...whoever. For me, the story just doesn't work as an adaptation.

gjohnson

PostMon May 14, 2012 10:47 am

Someone needs to explain to me how this BBC series is any different from the campy, much maligned feature film series with Downey Jr? I see the same byplay between Downey and Law recreated for this TV series. And Guy Ritchie's directorial touches of quick cuts to show Holmes mind at work is also borrowed here.

I am not a Holmes purist. I get bored with those who believe that nothing can be re-adapted into any other form -- so long as the creator is being honest about their intentions and doesn't try to pass it off as the real thing. And I should add that I am entertained by both of these feature film and TV series, which is the main point, isn't it?

boblipton

PostMon May 14, 2012 11:13 am

I enjoy both series.

Bob

-- Peter Schickele

Penfold

PostMon May 14, 2012 12:37 pm

gjohnson wrote:Someone needs to explain to me how this BBC series is any different from the campy, much maligned feature film series with Downey Jr? I see the same byplay between Downey and Law recreated for this TV series. And Guy Ritchie's directorial touches of quick cuts to show Holmes mind at work is also borrowed here.

I am not a Holmes purist. I get bored with those who believe that nothing can be re-adapted into any other form -- so long as the creator is being honest about their intentions and doesn't try to pass it off as the real thing. And I should add that I am entertained by both of these feature film and TV series, which is the main point, isn't it?

Absolutely that's the point......however, the main differences are; the BBC take is more of a cerebral thriller style, while the films are more Action thrillers; and the care with which the TV writers have updated not just the character to the present day, but many elements from the original Doyle stories too.....and lastly, however outlandish it gets, I can believe in the TV characters, but not the films'..... despite being a huge Robert Downey fan. Indeed, I believe his Tony Stark more than I believe his Holmes.....
I could use some digital restoration myself...

FrankFay

PostMon May 14, 2012 1:21 pm

The Downey films are pure fantasy- to the Holmesian community they are "Non Cannonical". Mostly the films exist to contain set pieces like thrill sequences, chases and explosions.

The Cumberbatch series is logical- the characters are consistently written and the plots make sense. They are meant to be taken seriously. I'm not a big fan of them but I think they are well done.

BTW- I loved the Brett series, but it did take some serious liberties with the stories- in particular from 1991 onwards. (In fairness some of the later Holmes stories are very weak)
Eric Stott

s.w.a.c.

PostMon May 14, 2012 2:47 pm

Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!
Next

Return to Talkie News