Masterpiece Mystery - Sherlock Holmes

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

boblipton

Re: Masterpiece Mystery - Sherlock Holmes

PostMon Jan 06, 2014 3:11 pm

Sunday January 12, 2014, WNET in New York is broadcasting Unlocking Sherlock at 10 PM. Season three should begin the following Sunday.

Bob
His plagiarism was limited only by his faulty technique.

-- Peter Schickele

boblipton

PostThu Jan 09, 2014 7:56 pm

A fourth season of Sherlock is in the works.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/s ... n-4-669607

Bob

-- Peter Schickele

bigshot

PostThu Jan 09, 2014 11:21 pm

I just got the blu ray of Jeremy Brett's Sherlock Holmes in the mail from Amazon.es. Super cheap and great! It's region A and B too, so it plays in US players.

fwtep

PostFri Jan 10, 2014 12:21 am

Nice, the Bretts are fantastic too!

fwtep

PostMon Jan 13, 2014 9:38 am

A little earlier in this thread there was some talk about CGI and I said there's a lot more in today's films and TV shows than you'd think. Here's a pretty nice little video with samples of CG work on a few shows, some of which you wouldn't expect to have any at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ICg-1YOH2Y

Like I said, if you don't want to see any CG at all then you pretty much can't watch anything made in the last 15 years or so. (Which I DO understand is not very hard for the people here. :-) )

barry byrne

PostMon Jan 13, 2014 11:54 am

BBC 4 ran a programme in the Timeshift series last night called "How to be Sherlock Holmes - the many faces of a Master Detective" which covered the actors who shaped the image back to Wm Gillette.

With brief excerpts from some silents as well as more recent film and TV, it is worth keeping a look out for the witty comments by Christopher Lee (who played Mycroft) alone.

missdupont

PostMon Jan 13, 2014 8:02 pm

The British premiere of the "Sherlock Holmes" series set holiday viewing records, beating "EastEnders," "Dr. Who," and "Downton Abbey."
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/s ... ver-668188

CliffClaven

PostMon Jan 13, 2014 9:23 pm

barry byrne wrote:BBC 4 ran a programme in the Timeshift series last night called "How to be Sherlock Holmes - the many faces of a Master Detective" which covered the actors who shaped the image back to Wm Gillette.

With brief excerpts from some silents as well as more recent film and TV, it is worth keeping a look out for the witty comments by Christopher Lee (who played Mycroft) alone.

Lee also played Sherlock, albeit in less than optimal circumstances: First in a German feature where he was dubbed with another voice (for the English version!); then in a pair of ambitious but silly TV miniseries events. And he was Sir Harry Baskerville in the Hammer version of the hound. Still hoping somebody gives him a shot at Moriarty.

Dee Deforest

PostTue Jan 28, 2014 12:32 pm

I put off watching the new Sherlock thinking it would only make me miss the originals..mainly Basil Rathbone and Jeremy Brett..Well boy was I wrong! It's a wonderful take on Holmes..I thoroughly enjoyed every minute! Absolutely loved the quick dialogue and felt that the actors really stepped up to the plate and made the characters their own. I liked Jonny Lee Miller so much in Frankensten and Transpotting that I gave that one a try first and didn't even make it to the first commercial break, so I didn't hold out much hope...now I'm on a search so I can go back and watch all of them..and as a added bonus Amanda Abbington is in it she is a wonderful actress who I always enjoy..

Dee Deforest

CliffClaven

PostTue Jan 28, 2014 7:41 pm

Dee Deforest wrote:I put off watching the new Sherlock thinking it would only make me miss the originals..mainly Basil Rathbone and Jeremy Brett..Well boy was I wrong! It's a wonderful take on Holmes..I thoroughly enjoyed every minute! Absolutely loved the quick dialogue and felt that the actors really stepped up to the plate and made the characters their own. I liked Jonny Lee Miller so much in Frankensten and Transpotting that I gave that one a try first and didn't even make it to the first commercial break, so I didn't hold out much hope...now I'm on a search so I can go back and watch all of them..and as a added bonus Amanda Abbington is in it she is a wonderful actress who I always enjoy..

Dee Deforest

By all means, watch the first six (two seasons of three episodes each) before continuing with season 3. Some episodes are definitely better than others, but you get the development of Sherlock and John's relationship and some inspired riffing on the original Doyle stories. Ms. Abbington doesn't turn up until season 3, but there are many other consolations en route.

The first episode, "A Study in Pink", is possibly the best of the lot. The updating of "A Study in Scarlet" is at once inspired and, like Sherlock's deductions, seemingly obvious. There's still a war in Afghanistan for Watson to come home from, and modern forensic science and technology doesn't replace Sherlock but gives him unexpected new resources.

FrankFay

PostTue Jan 28, 2014 8:11 pm

CliffClaven wrote:
The first episode, "A Study in Pink", is possibly the best of the lot. The updating of "A Study in Scarlet" is at once inspired and, like Sherlock's deductions, seemingly obvious. There's still a war in Afghanistan for Watson to come home from, and modern forensic science and technology doesn't replace Sherlock but gives him unexpected new resources.

I also loved the direct reversal of the clue's meaning- Not "Rache" but Rachel this time.
Eric Stott

fwtep

PostTue Jan 28, 2014 9:55 pm

Actually, regarding "Rache," in the original novel (SPOILER BELOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

doesn't it turn out to be a false lead planted by the culprit to throw them off the trail? I'm pretty sure it does, but it's been a while since I've read it.

FrankFay

PostWed Jan 29, 2014 10:13 am

fwtep wrote:Actually, regarding "Rache," in the original novel (SPOILER BELOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

doesn't it turn out to be a false lead planted by the culprit to throw them off the trail? I'm pretty sure it does, but it's been a while since I've read it.

Yes, but the false clue furnishes clues in itself.
Eric Stott

Frederica

PostWed Jul 02, 2014 8:58 am

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/sher ... ee-3799440" target="_blank

Sherlock fans have finally been rewarded for their patience awaiting epic news about the show. BBC One last night teased on Twitter the arrival of news, accompanied by a picture of Moriarty. And at 2.21pm today - again on Twitter - it was announced that there will indeed be a 'Special' to come.

Hurrah.

Co-creator, exec producer and writer Mark Gatiss confirms: “Series Four! At last ! It's always special to return to Sherlock but this time it's even more special as we're doing... a Special!

Not only THAT, we'll then be shooting three more episodes which will take Sherlock and John Watson into deeper and darker water than ever before. The whole Sherlock team are terrifically excited to return for four new adventures. The Game is on - again!
Fred
"Every revelation you make is an illusion; so far, no one has succeeded in knowing you. Your white pumps literally go with any outfit."
Kim Kierkegaardashian
http://www.nitanaldi.com"
http://www.facebook.com/NitaNaldiSilentVamp"

fwtep

PostWed Jul 02, 2014 10:44 pm

I hope it's good. I was somewhat let down by series 3. I think they're making it far too big. I'd like to see them take a bunch of small but intriguing cases like the original Doyle stories usually did.

boblipton

PostTue Aug 26, 2014 1:18 pm

Sherlock has done very well in the Emmies, with wins for Cumberbatch and Moffat, as well as a win for Martin Freeman in another show.

http://www.goldderby.com/news/7137/emmy ... story.html

Bob

-- Peter Schickele

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostThu Jul 09, 2015 6:52 pm

If they use this to get out of explaining the terrible twist at the end of last season, it's okay by me! A preview of the Victorian-set Christmas special for the BBC Sherlock series, a fun sendup of its own origins:

“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

wich2

PostFri Jul 10, 2015 7:35 pm

... and a real Valentine to the Brett series!

entredeuxguerres

PostSat Jul 11, 2015 4:04 am

wich2 wrote:... and a real Valentine to the Brett series!

Rather than any mere "Valentine," I'd much prefer the res verum: a rerun of that entire, unsurpassed, series.

Spiny Norman

PostSat Jul 11, 2015 4:36 am

Mike Gebert wrote:If they use this to get out of explaining the terrible twist at the end of last season, it's okay by me! A preview of the Victorian-set Christmas special for the BBC Sherlock series, a fun sendup of its own origins:
Isn't there an old theory that dr. Watson, as the writer of the stories, invented the persona of Holmes to draw attention away from himself? This preview might be playing with that idea. OK, it's only 90 seconds, but in the last 60 of those, the emphasis seemed to shift to Freeman instead of Cumberbatch. I wouldn't mind that at all, might be more interesting than them doing the same tricks but 120 years earlier. (Besides, I for one get tired of Watson always being the butt monkey.)
This is nøt å signåture.™

boblipton

PostSat Jul 11, 2015 4:46 am

Spiny Norman wrote:
Mike Gebert wrote:If they use this to get out of explaining the terrible twist at the end of last season, it's okay by me! A preview of the Victorian-set Christmas special for the BBC Sherlock series, a fun sendup of its own origins:
Isn't there an old theory that dr. Watson, as the writer of the stories, invented the persona of Holmes to draw attention away from himself? This preview might be playing with that idea. OK, it's only 90 seconds, but in the last 60 of those, the emphasis seemed to shift to Freeman instead of Cumberbatch. I wouldn't mind that at all, might be more interesting than them doing the same tricks but 120 years earlier. (Besides, I for one get tired of Watson always being the butt monkey.)

this was the idea of the 1988 Without a Clue. Watson, Ben Kingsley, is sick of dealing with Michael Caine, the moronic actor he has hired to play Holmes.

Bob
Last edited by boblipton on Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-- Peter Schickele

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostSat Jul 11, 2015 6:33 am

Rather than any mere "Valentine," I'd much prefer the res verum: a rerun of that entire, unsurpassed, series.

I picked the whole series up on DVD for a fairly modest price at one point; it can play forever here at NitrateCroft Hall.

That series actually came from a different producer (Granada Television rather than the BBC) but I did notice and enjoy the nod to that series' customary opening shot, typically a crane shot down from the second story of 221B, showing cabs clop-clopping down the street.
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

Donald Binks

PostSat Jul 11, 2015 3:06 pm

I am currently watching a production from the Beeb entitled "Arthur and George" which has Sir Arthur Conan Doyle himself along with his secretary, solving a mystery. It never ceases to amaze me how many deviations from the original stories surface.
Regards from
Donald Binks

"I was in love with a beautiful blonde one time. She led me to drink. It's the only thing I'm thankful to her for."

Mr.Mycroft

PostMon Jul 13, 2015 2:57 pm

Donald Binks wrote:I am currently watching a production from the Beeb entitled "Arthur and George" which has Sir Arthur Conan Doyle himself along with his secretary, solving a mystery. It never ceases to amaze me how many deviations from the original stories surface.

Actually that's based on a true story, the Edalji case.

There have been other adaptations of the incident, for 'The Edwardians' a BBC mini from 1972 and a German television production from the 60's.

Also there was the fictionalized 'Doyle as sidekick to Dr Joseph Bell' (his teacher and model for Holmes), 'Murder Rooms,' another BBC series made about 15 years ago.

wich2

PostMon Jul 13, 2015 8:30 pm

>Rather than any mere "Valentine," I'd much prefer the res verum: a rerun of that entire, unsurpassed, series.<

That has already happened - I believe more than once. And this sometime Sherlock adapter and portrayer yields to no one in my love for the Granada show, but the current series is wise and sometimes wonderful in its own right.

>I did notice and enjoy the nod to that series' customary opening shot, typically a crane shot down from the second story of 221B, showing cabs clop-clopping down the street.<

As well, the opening music is a definite riff on the Gower themes from the earlier show.

-Craig

entredeuxguerres

PostMon Jul 13, 2015 8:46 pm

wich2 wrote:>Rather than any mere "Valentine," I'd much prefer the res verum: a rerun of that entire, unsurpassed, series.<

That has already happened - I believe more than once...
-Craig

But not in 10 yrs or more, at least through the two PBS affiliates available to me.

boblipton

PostFri Jan 01, 2016 7:26 pm

Should have mentioned this earlier, but at 10PM this evening, WNET in New York is broadcasting the newest episode of Sherlock, with reruns on the 10th and 12th.

I assume it's already run in Britain.

Bob

-- Peter Schickele

missdupont

PostFri Jan 01, 2016 7:41 pm

I believe this show is running day and date in Britain and in the USA. On tonight and repeats January 10.

R Michael Pyle

PostSat Jan 02, 2016 8:27 am

missdupont wrote:I believe this show is running day and date in Britain and in the USA. On tonight and repeats January 10.

It's extremely well done! Clever, witty, intelligent, excellently directed and acted.

Brooksie

PostMon Jan 04, 2016 1:44 am

I saw it at the cinema and thoroughly enjoyed it. Very clever premise, typically good writing, and the cast were obviously having a lot of fun. Wonderful to see such high quality stuff.
PreviousNext

Return to Talkie News