Betty Boop on Blu

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

bigshot

Betty Boop on Blu

PostTue Aug 20, 2013 8:10 pm

The new bluray of Betty Boop cartoons finally presents these great films well. 4k scans of original camera negatives. Super sharp. No digital restoration at all. The only problem is that the 1931-32 films which were shot in 1927 sound aperture have been stretched to Academy. Not a problem on most shots, but noticeable on closeups. That only affects a handful of cartoons though.

The bluray is a MILLION times better than the old laserdisc set.

s.w.a.c.

Re: Betty Boop on Blu

PostWed Aug 21, 2013 11:55 am

Or it will be when they collect all the individual volumes into a single box set. I'd love to own these, but instead of rushing to get them individually like I did with the Keatons, I'm going to wait and see if they do an all-in-one release down the road. I've read there'll be 48 licensed and restored shorts spread over 4 discs, and considering how quickly vol. 2 was announced, it shouldn't be long before the whole series is completed and collected.

But it'll be tough to resist, going by the screencaps on DVD Beaver.
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

bigshot

PostWed Aug 21, 2013 7:04 pm

$15 at importcds.com

Battra92

PostThu Aug 22, 2013 5:49 am

I'm a little disappointed Snow White, Old Man of the Mountain, Minnie the Moocher etc. aren't on there but I second the desire for a good boxset. I'll definitely buy them, regardless. I just don't have the cash to buy them right now.

s.w.a.c.

PostThu Aug 22, 2013 6:06 am

bigshot wrote:$15 at importcds.com

Is that for the blu or the DVD? I've bought from them before, via Amazon.ca Marketplace, with great results (and no duty charges), but they haven't listed it there yet. I imagine it'll be a couple of bucks more when they do, but at the moment it's $27 CDN, so $17 would still be a bargain.

As for Vol. 2, here's what's on it: DIZZY DISHES (1930), BIMBO'S INITIATION (1931), BOO-OOP-A-DOOP (1932), BETTY BOOP LIMITED (1932), BETTY BOOP'S BIZZY BEE (1932), BETTY BOOP'S UPS AND DOWNS (1932), BETTY BOOP'S MUSEUM (1932), BETTY BOOP'S BIG BOSS (1933), MORNING, NOON AND NIGHT (1933), BETTY BOOP'S LITTLE PAL (1934), BETTY BOOP'S PRIZE SHOW (1934) and KEEP IN STYLE (1934).

Still no Snow White or Minnie the Moocher, they're obviously saving some of the big guns for later volumes, which is smart marketing I suppose, but annoying for those who want to see the best-known titles. Bimbo's Initiation is probably the best-known of this bunch, plus the first cartoon to feature her (Dizzy Dishes) but at least the focus here is primarily on the pre-code Bettys. I'm hoping her Cinecolor short Poor Cinderella (where we discover that Betty is a redhead) shows up though, that'd be a treat in HD.

Salty Dog

PostThu Aug 22, 2013 8:18 am

Not sure Minnie the Moocher or Snow White will be in this set. They have already said
the public domain ones will not be issued by them and I think those 2 movies are in that
category; I've definitely seen them out on DVD already.
Bill Coleman

s.w.a.c.

PostThu Aug 22, 2013 10:57 am

Salty Dog wrote:Not sure Minnie the Moocher or Snow White will be in this set. They have already said
the public domain ones will not be issued by them and I think those 2 movies are in that

That would be a big oversight on their part, especially seeing as they're labeling these discs "The Essential Collection". But I see that some of the titles on Vol. 1, incl. Chess Nuts and Betty Boop's Bamboo Isle, have appeared on some PD DVD releases, as have Vol. 2's Betty Boop's Prize Show and Betty Boop's Big Boss, so there's still hope that key jazz-age BB cartoons like Snow White, Minnie the Moocher, I'll Be Glad When You're Dead You Rascal You and The Old Man of the Mountain will show up on later volumes.

s.w.a.c.

PostThu Aug 22, 2013 11:28 am

Good review of Betty Boop "The Essential Collection" Vol. 1 over at DVD Savant. He also mentions the fact that public domain titles may not be included on future volumes, but the list of which titles are PD and which ones aren't seems a bit on the arbitrary side, and a few titles from Vols. 1 & 2 have appeared on PD collections (there are dozens of them out there). On the other hand, maybe the fly-by-night companies that issued those collections didn't bother to do their homework and figure out which were genuinely PD and a few snuck on under the radar. Does someone at Viacom regularly go digging through the bargain bins at Wal-Mart to find out?

ClayKing

PostThu Aug 22, 2013 8:08 pm

bigshot wrote:The only problem is that the 1931-32 films which were shot in 1927 sound aperture have been stretched to Academy. Not a problem on most shots, but noticeable on closeups. That only affects a handful of cartoons though.

Do you mean that the top and bottom of the picture were cut off slightly so there would be no black bars on sides, or do you mean that the picture was stretched horizontally to fill the frame?
-Rich

bigshot

PostSat Aug 24, 2013 4:13 pm

Stretched horizontally. In all of the previous DVD releases, the top or bottom was cropped off.

It's a small amount... probably about 5% of the frame. It's only noticeable in closeups.

ClayKing

PostSat Aug 24, 2013 8:35 pm

5% is enough to dissuade me from buying it. Who masters this stuff, anyway? Why would they do something like that for a release that probably appeals largely to film buffs?
-Rich

Jack Theakston

PostSun Aug 25, 2013 11:16 pm

I don't understand what happened in the workflow to cause this, but the post-'29 shorts should have been 1.33-1 anyway.
J. Theakston
"You get more out of life when you go out to a movie!"

s.w.a.c.

PostMon Aug 26, 2013 7:49 am

This bit of info doesn't show up in any of the reviews I've read of the set, although over on DVD Beaver, one of their screencaps (a closeup of Bimbo leering at a lady's legs) seems to exhibit the stretch. With Betty it's kind of hard to tell since her head seems to change shape slightly over the course of the early films.

You wonder why they wouldn't just "pillarbox" those particular shorts, with slim black bars on the sides (as opposed to the "letterbox" style of presenting widescreen films on square or rectangular screens).

azjazzman

PostMon Aug 26, 2013 10:05 am

s.w.a.c. wrote:This bit of info doesn't show up in any of the reviews I've read of the set, although over on DVD Beaver, one of their screencaps (a closeup of Bimbo leering at a lady's legs) seems to exhibit the stretch. With Betty it's kind of hard to tell since her head seems to change shape slightly over the course of the early films.

You wonder why they wouldn't just "pillarbox" those particular shorts, with slim black bars on the sides (as opposed to the "letterbox" style of presenting widescreen films on square or rectangular screens).

Jerry Beck weighs in on the new Olive Films Betty Boop disc http://cartoonresearch.com/index.php/dv ... -volume-1/

s.w.a.c.

PostMon Aug 26, 2013 2:24 pm

azjazzman wrote:
s.w.a.c. wrote:This bit of info doesn't show up in any of the reviews I've read of the set, although over on DVD Beaver, one of their screencaps (a closeup of Bimbo leering at a lady's legs) seems to exhibit the stretch. With Betty it's kind of hard to tell since her head seems to change shape slightly over the course of the early films.

Jerry Beck weighs in on the new Olive Films Betty Boop disc http://cartoonresearch.com/index.php/dv ... -volume-1/" target="_blank

Thanks for that, that's exactly the opinion I was looking for, but noticed it wasn't posted anywhere over at Jerry's Cartoon Brew blog. (Oops, seems Jerry hasn't been associated with Cartoon Brew since February. Looks like I haven't been keeping pace with one of my favourite places to waste time.)

I see from the screencap comparison with the old laserdisc set, the new transfers are a lot more generous with frame space, slicing a sliver off the top in that one example, but showing more on the right side of the frame and the bottom. With a Fleischer film, where anything can come to life at any time, every bit of the image counts.

Marr&Colton

PostTue Aug 27, 2013 5:03 am

I've noticed whenever a new digital restoration of older films is released, the same high quality transfer is released in both standard DVD and Blu-Ray. Obviously the Blu-Ray will display in HD, but the standard DVD usually looks VERY good compared to other standard DVD releases.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

BenModel

PostTue Aug 27, 2013 8:51 am

I have a feeling this may have something to do with the transfer itself. I know I've had some of my "accidentally preserved" comedy shorts transferred via both SD equipment and HD equipment. Even though these are sharp old 16mm's the amount of detail, grey-scale and resolution that turns up in the HD transfers has surprised me in some cases.

Ben
Sign up for my emails at silentfilmmusic.com and get an exclusive link to watch a rare comedy short
Undercrank Productions - rare silents on DVD/Blu available on Amazon
follow @silentfilmmusic on Twitter and on Instagram
Silent Film Music Podcast available on iTunes

fwtep

PostTue Aug 27, 2013 8:56 am

Yup. It's the transfer quality. Plus more effort needs to be put into image quality when doing an HD release, and the SD version benefits from that as well.

Another reason is that doing the downrez to SD during compression will look slightly better than downrezzing before doing the compression. While I don't know if that's standard operating procedure these days, I've certainly read about it being done with some movies.

s.w.a.c.

PostTue Aug 27, 2013 12:28 pm

Since the last time I checked the comments on the Jerry Beck review, someone has posted a list of the Betty Boop titles slated for the whole series from Olive, and the Calloway and Armstrong shorts are on the list. No sign of a personal fave, Is My Palm Read?, but that title is extremely common in the PD realm, so I can understand why they might omit it (although I've seen edited copies of it, which must have been done after the production code went into effect). The lone colour BB short Poor Cinderella is on the list as well, which is a relief (it's also PD).

This is the list Olive’s press release guy was peddling a few months ago. (* = on Vol. 1, ** = will be on Vol. 2)

**DIZZY DISHES – 1930 (Talkartoon)
**BIMBO’S INITIATION – 1931 (Talkartoon)
**BOOP-OOP-A-DOOP – 1932 (Talkartoon)
MINNIE THE MOOCHER – 1932 (Talkartoon)
*CHESS NUTS – 1932 (Talkartoon)
**BETTY BOOP LIMITED – 1932 (Talkartoon)
STOPPING THE SHOW – 1932
**BETTY BOOP’S BIZZY BEE – 1932
*BETTY BOOP M.D. – 1932
*BETTY BOOP’S BAMBOO ISLE – 1932
**BETTY BOOP’S UPS AND DOWNS – 1932
*BETTY BOOP FOR PRESIDENT – 1932
I’LL BE GLAD WHEN YOU’RE DEAD, YOU RASCAL YOU – 1932
**BETTY BOOP’S MUSEUM – 1932
BETTY BOOP’S PENTHOUSE – 1933
SNOW WHITE – 1933
*BETTY BOOP’S BIRTHDAY PARTY – 1933
*BETTY BOOP’S MAY PARTY – 1933
**BETTY BOOP’S BIG BOSS – 1933
MOTHER GOOSE LAND – 1933
THE OLD MAN OF THE MOUNTAIN – 1933
I HEARD – 1933
**MORNING NOON AND NIGHT – 1933
*BETTY BOOP’S HALLOWEEN PARTY – 1933
PARADE OF THE WOODEN SOLDIERS – 1933
SHE WRONGED HIM RIGHT – 1934
RED HOT MAMA – 1934
HA HA HA – 1934
*BETTY BOOP’S RISE TO FAME – 1934 (PD)
*BETTY BOOP’S TRIAL – 1934
*BETTY BOOP’S LIFE GUARD – 1934
POOR CINDERELLA – 1934 (Color Classic) (PD)
THERE’S SOMETHING ABOUT A SOLDIER – 1934
**BETTY BOOP’S LITTLE PAL – 1934
**BETTY BOOP’S PRIZE SHOW – 1934
**KEEP IN STYLE – 1934
WHEN MY SHIP COMES IN – 1934
STOP THAT NOISE – 1935 (PD)
SERVICE WITH A SMILE – 1937
NEW DEAL SHOW – 1937
*THE FOXY HUNTER – 1937
ZULA HULA – 1937
RIDING THE RAILS – 1938
BE UP TO DATE – 1938
OUT OF THE INKWELL – 1938
SWING SCHOOL – 1938
PUDGY THE WATCHMAN – 1938
PUDGY IN THRILLS AND CHILLS – 1938

bigshot

PostTue Aug 27, 2013 5:32 pm

Fleischer used the early sound aperture into 1933, but it's likely that theaters went ahead and projected them Academy. With a 4k transfer like the ones Olive Films did for this set, an hour in an edit bay would be enough to fix all the transfers. Hopefully they will do that for future volumes in the series.

bigshot

PostTue Aug 27, 2013 5:35 pm

By the way, the bluray is a million times better than the old laserdisc set which had thin sound, cropped image and horrible DVNR eating away at the ink lines.

Bob Furmanek

s.w.a.c.

PostWed Aug 28, 2013 12:34 pm

Thanks for that reminder Bob, I meant to look for the update that Jerry promised earlier, but got caught up in other things. Hopefully someone at Olive will at least consider pillarboxing those early shorts on later volumes.

earlytalkie

PostFri Aug 30, 2013 7:26 am

Salty Dog wrote:Not sure Minnie the Moocher or Snow White will be in this set. They have already said

Those are two of my favorites. I don't know why the producers think that people won't buy a superior version of a public-domain DVD. Paramount has released beautiful DVD sets of The Lucy Show and The Beverly Hillbillies (I know, TV shows) which include episodes previously released on PD DVD. Warner Archive released Half-Shot At Sunrise in a print that just blows away the public domain version. And there are many more examples.

Salty Dog

PostFri Aug 30, 2013 7:53 am

earlytalkie wrote:

Those are two of my favorites. I don't know why the producers think that people won't buy a superior version of a public-domain DVD. Paramount has released beautiful DVD sets of The Lucy Show and The Beverly Hillbillies (I know, TV shows) which include episodes previously released on PD DVD. Warner Archive released Half-Shot At Sunrise in a print that just blows away the public domain version. And there are many more examples.

I was incorrect when I stated that. Please see s.w.a.c.'s post of Tuesday, with more accurate information: Snow White and Minnie the Moocher will both be on Volume 2.
Bill Coleman

Thad Komorowski

PostFri Aug 30, 2013 9:05 am

Actually, Vol. 2 contains:

**DIZZY DISHES – 1930 (Talkartoon)
**BIMBO’S INITIATION – 1931 (Talkartoon)
**BOOP-OOP-A-DOOP – 1932 (Talkartoon)
**BETTY BOOP LIMITED – 1932 (Talkartoon)
**BETTY BOOP’S BIZZY BEE – 1932
**BETTY BOOP’S UPS AND DOWNS – 1932
**BETTY BOOP’S MUSEUM – 1932
**BETTY BOOP’S BIG BOSS – 1933
**MORNING NOON AND NIGHT – 1933
**BETTY BOOP’S LITTLE PAL – 1934
**BETTY BOOP’S PRIZE SHOW – 1934
**KEEP IN STYLE – 1934

Salty Dog

PostFri Aug 30, 2013 11:01 am

Sorry, another misreading on my part.
I guess no asterisk means Volume 3
or later?
Bill Coleman

Thad Komorowski

PostFri Aug 30, 2013 11:55 am

Salty Dog wrote:Sorry, another misreading on my part.
I guess no asterisk means Volume 3
or later?

Correct. It's a shame they didn't sublicense a couple of the non-Betty Talkartoons/Screen Songs (never mind more of the ones she was actually in) to shake up the compilations with some variety.

s.w.a.c.

PostFri Aug 30, 2013 1:53 pm

Thad Komorowski wrote:It's a shame they didn't sublicense a couple of the non-Betty Talkartoons/Screen Songs (never mind more of the ones she was actually in) to shake up the compilations with some variety.

I'd love to see a proper job done with the Koko the Clown shorts, so much invention and innovation in those, they're full of surprises, and the Fleischers seem to be trying out new things with each new film. I have an old one-sided laserdisc of Koko shorts, but it only scratches the surface (there's no Koko's Earth Control, for one thing, which is my favourite) and is completely silent with no music track for some reason.

earlytalkie

PostSat Aug 31, 2013 9:59 am

In the '90s there was a terrific documentary on AMC titled, I think, "Images From The Dream Factory: The Amazing Max Fleischer", or something close to that. It was hosted by Leonard Maltin, and featured full-length versions of "Snow White", "Poor Cinderella", and "Koko's Earth Control", (with original soundtrack). Is this where the YouTube video posted above originated? Many other classic Fleischer cartoons were presented as well. If it could be mastered to a decent quality, it would be a wonderful addition to devotee's Fleischer collections.
Next

Return to Talkie News