The Front Page (1931) from Kino in August

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

Harold Aherne

The Front Page (1931) from Kino in August

PostFri Apr 03, 2015 9:44 pm

Good news from Kino: a release on DVD and Blu-Ray (as noted on their Facebook page) of a title I had almost given up on in re: a high-quality edition.
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Front-Page-Blu-ray/128724/

-HA

Rollo Treadway

Re: The Front Page (1931) from Kino in August

PostFri Apr 03, 2015 10:17 pm

That's excellent news. I had feared that this one would remain forever consigned to "Public Domain Hell."

R Michael Pyle

PostSat Apr 04, 2015 5:55 am

Fabulous news!! The public domain versions that have been out for decades have been simply deplorable for one of the best films of the early 30's! I've been hoping for this for at least 30 years!

Michael O'Regan

PostSat Apr 04, 2015 12:40 pm

Nice one.

Christopher Jacobs

PostSat Apr 04, 2015 2:27 pm

Many years ago I saw a beautiful 16mm collector print of THE FRONT PAGE that was either an original or a very good reduction from 35mm, drastically better than any of the numerous 16mm dupes floating around. I've wondered ever since whey every single video version has been so awful-looking. It will be wonderful to see this again looking the way it should! Now if only Sony will release or license their pristine 35mm material of HIS GIRL FRIDAY to play with it as a double-feature!

Marr&Colton

PostSun Apr 05, 2015 6:06 am

It would be a great idea for both films restored in one release.

HIS GIRL FRIDAY has been pulled from most reliable Public Domain lists due to story--literary rights recently acquired
making the movie derivative and thus no longer PD.

I'm wondering if this also affects THE FRONT PAGE.....

syd

PostSun Apr 05, 2015 7:29 am

In every print I have viewed of The Front Page, Adolph Menjou's Walter Burns'
last line ("that SOB stole my watch" no acronym in the movie) is edited
out or bleeped out. I hope the print Kino used keeps it intact.

CoffeeDan

PostMon Apr 06, 2015 6:32 am

ALL RIGHT! FINALLY! The movie that inspired me to become a reporter is coming to Blu-ray! This just might break down the last of my resistance to getting a Blu-ray player! HUZZAH!

And, incidentally --

syd wrote:In every print I have viewed of The Front Page, Adolph Menjou's Walter Burns'
last line ("that SOB stole my watch" no acronym in the movie) is edited
out or bleeped out. I hope the print Kino used keeps it intact.

No, it isn't really. It's just a clever bit of self-censorship.

Producer Howard Hughes and director Lewis Milestone wanted to keep the line in the picture, but they also knew it would give the censors fits. So they attempted to have their cake and eat it, too. Pat O'Brien said in an article in Classic Images years ago that they rigged a wire to the tab release of the typewriter next to Adolphe Menjou in the shot. When he said the objectionable word, they would pull the wire, releasing the carriage and ringing the bell on the typewriter, neatly obscuring the obscenity. It proved to work better in theory than in practice -- O'Brien said they did something like 80 takes before they got the timing right!

Daveismyhero

PostMon Apr 06, 2015 8:44 am

I've had this movie on my DVR for a year or two. I wonder if I should just bite the bullet and grab the preorder when it becomes available? Decisions, decisions.
I am not a purist, I am a funist!

earlytalkiebuffRob

PostMon Apr 06, 2015 4:21 pm

Very good to know this is coming out. I saw THE FRONT PAGE (1931) back in the 1980s at London's NFT in a decent copy as I recall. I have simply not bothered to download the PD copies or play the one a pal ran off for me as they look so bloody awful. I did spot a better one on YT (which I was unable to download), but it either had foreign subtitles or those for the hard of hearing, but at least looked in nice order otherwise. Ridiculous that such an important movie should only circulate in rubbishy copies for so long, though admittedly it was very hard to see in any condition for a long time.

MattBarry

PostFri Jul 17, 2015 1:01 pm

Matt Barry from Kino Lorber here...Thanks everyone for your interest in our upcoming Blu-ray and DVD release of THE FRONT PAGE. I wanted to share the details of this release here, which will be available on August 11th. This edition is mastered in HD from 35mm elements preserved by the Library of Congress. Bonus features include a short documentary on the preservation efforts of the Library of Congress, an audio commentary with film historian Bret Wood, the 1937 radio adaptation starring Walter Winchell and presented by Cecil B. DeMille (60 min.), and the 1946 radio adaptation starring Adolphe Menjou and Pat O'Brien (30 min.)

Below is our press release with full details:

NEW YORK, NY - JULY 16, 2015 - Kino Lorber proudly announces the Blu-ray and DVD release of THE FRONT PAGE, Ben Hecht and Charles MacArthur's hardboiled satire of the newspaper world about an ace reporter who wants to quit the business to settle down and marry his girlfriend, and his opportunistic editor who will go to any lengths to get him to stay. Based on the hit 1928 Broadway play, and twice remade (by Howard Hawks in 1940 as His Girl Friday, and by Billy Wilder in 1974), this fast-paced farce was the prototype for the classic screwball comedies to follow. Directed by Academy Award-winning filmmaker Lewis Milestone (All Quiet on the Western Front) and produced by Howard Hughes (Hell's Angels, Scarface), THE FRONT PAGE is also a landmark early sound film and a classic of the Pre-Code era, packed with risqué humor and dialogue.

Long available only in poor-quality, public domain copies, this new edition from Kino Classics is newly mastered in HD from 35mm elements preserved by the Library of Congress. Set to street on August 11th with a SRP of $29.95 for the Blu-ray and $19.95 for the DVD, THE FRONT PAGE comes packed with bonus features, including a short documentary on the film preservation efforts of the Library of Congress, audio commentary by film historian Bret Wood, the 1937 radio adaptation starring Walter Winchell and presented by Cecil B. DeMille (60 min.), and the 1946 radio adaptation starring Adolphe Menjou and Pat O'Brien (30 min.)

Based on the wildly successful (and controversial) play by Ben Hecht and Charles MacArthur, THE FRONT PAGE follows hard-boiled crime reporter Hildy Johnson (Pat O'Brien) who has vowed to quit the business and marry his new sweetheart (Mary Brian). But when a political radical (George E. Stone) escapes from custody on the eve of his hanging, the reporter's room is plunged into comedic chaos, and Hildy's brash editor (Menjou) sees it as an opportunity to manipulate the reporter into staying.

Raucous, irreverent, and remarkably funny, THE FRONT PAGE is a landmark in cinema history - a brilliantly orchestrated, high-speed satire that set the standard for the countless screwball comedies that followed in its wake. But few films can match the risqué flavor and the relentless pace of the masterpiece that spawned an entire genre, earning Academy Award nominations for Best Picture, Best Actor (Adolphe Menjou), and Best Director (Lewis Milestone), as well as a spot on the esteemed National Film Registry.

THE FRONT PAGE
Director: Lewis Milestone
Starring Adolphe Menjou, Pat O'Brien, Mary Brian, Edward Everett Horton, Mae Clarke,
Walter L. Catlett, Slim Summerville, Matt Moore, Frank McHugh
Genre: Comedy
Blu-ray and DVD Street Date: August 11, 2015
Blu-ray SRP: $29.95
DVD SRP: $19.95

U.S. | 1931 | 100 min. | B&W | 1920x1080p (1.33:1) | Mono

Special Features:
Short documentary on the film preservation efforts of the Library of Congress
Audio commentary by film historian Bret Wood
1937 Radio adaptation starring Walter Winchell, presented by Cecil B. DeMille (60 min.)
1946 Radio adaptation starring Adolphe Menjou and Pat O'Brien (30 min.)
__
Matt Barry
Kino Lorber, Inc.

Michael O'Regan

PostFri Jul 17, 2015 1:08 pm

Sweet.
:)

busby1959

PostFri Jul 17, 2015 7:23 pm

This is really fantastic news! Ever since I played Hildy Johnson a million years ago I've been wanting to see a really good print of this....hallelujah. One of the best ensemble casts of all time - and any movie with both Mae Clark and Mary Brian is well worth waiting for.

entredeuxguerres

PostSat Jul 18, 2015 6:12 am

busby1959 wrote:...any movie with both Mae Clark and Mary Brian is well worth waiting for.

Both I adore, and only their combined loveliness could suppress my extreme dislike of loudmouth O'Brien, always asking for the fist sandwich he unfortunately never receives.

busby1959

PostSat Jul 18, 2015 8:42 am

entredeuxguerres wrote:
busby1959 wrote:...any movie with both Mae Clark and Mary Brian is well worth waiting for.

Both I adore, and only their combined loveliness could suppress my extreme dislike of loudmouth O'Brien, always asking for the fist sandwich he unfortunately never receives.

I, too, have never been an admirer of O'Brian for reasons unnecessary to list here. But to bask in the beauty and talent of the charming Misses Brian and Clark I'll gladly put up with him. That, and the presence of such first rate character men like Edward Everett Horton, Walter Catlett, Frank McHugh and George E. Stone help to make the overbearing O'Brian a tad more tolerable....just a tad, mind you.

Christopher Jacobs

PostSat Aug 01, 2015 12:01 pm

The Blu-ray of THE FRONT PAGE (1931) is done and ready-to-watch! My impressions are in the "Old Movies in HD" thread of the "Talking About Talkies" forum at viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3022&p=155546#p155546

Here are a few more observations not in the review, following up on a few comments above...

THE FRONT PAGE is not and was never intended as a star vehicle for either Mary Brian or Mae Clarke, who are merely peripheral characters serving as foils for the newspaper reporters, and in the case of Clarke also providing a major dramatic plot point. Mae Clarke is especially effective in her big scene. Mary Brian does little more than stand around pouting and looking put-upon, as her character is attempting to adjust to becoming the wife of a man who will always prefer the thrills of investigative reporting to any personal human relationship. Pat O'Brien virtually carries the film while doing a terrific variation on Lee Tracy, who is often far more abrasive in his very-similar fast-talking reporter characters. It is the reporters as a group who are the focus of the story, more than individual personalities (with Hildy and Burns getting a bit more development but still being just specific examples of the overall profession they are practicing). The great ensemble cast under Lewis Milestone's assured directing is what makes this a first-rate movie adaptation of the brilliant Ben Hecht-Charles MacArthur stage play.

aldiboronti

PostWed Aug 05, 2015 2:49 pm

This is great news but every time I watch the film I find myself imagining how much greater a movie it could have been if Lee Tracy had played Hildy Johnson, the role he originated on Broadway. I guess O'Brien had the better agent or studio politics played a part. I know this often happened - Edward G Robinson losing out to Louis Wolheim in The Racket (although I admit Wolheim played the part brilliantly), Barbara Stanwyck being passed over for Nancy Carroll when Burlesque was filmed as The Dance of Life, and much later Julie Andrews elbowed aside by Audrey Hepburn in My Fair Lady. From Broadway to Hollywood can be a bumpy ride!

JLNeibaur

PostTue Aug 11, 2015 8:08 am

Here is my review of the blu ray / DVD release:

http://www.examiner.com/review/dvd-revi ... -page-1931

Ray Faiola

PostTue Aug 11, 2015 4:53 pm

Nice print but I'd like to hear the original variable denstity soundtrack without the NR that was applied. Quite a bit of vocal sillabance was sacrificed when they removed original inherent track noise.
Classic Film Scores on CD
http://www.chelsearialtostudios.com

Scoundrel

PostSun Aug 21, 2016 12:38 pm

Is this the same print as released by KINO on Blu ray or is it a more recent trip to the well ...?

http://leonardmaltin.com/academy-restor ... -rarities/
" You can't take life too seriously...you'll never get out of it alive."

Blackhawk Films customer

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostSun Aug 21, 2016 1:50 pm

It does sound like a new version.
“One of the wonders of the internet is that it's a totally open forum. The world's greatest expert—or greatest idiot—is free to post.” —David Shepard, quoted by Richard Bann

David Alp

PostSun Aug 21, 2016 8:34 pm

Yes this is extraordinary. They have actually found a totally new version of "The Front Page" with totally different lines and dialogue that was scripted specifically for the US domestic market. In all of the versions for decades and decades that have been availabe on public domain VHS/DVD, YouTube, and then later - the recent BluRay restoration - they used the foreign market release version without realizing that the Library of Congress version (being held in its vaults since the early 70's) was different. They did not realize the two versions were different until restoration began on the UNLV [College of Fine Arts Department of Film] print from Howard Hughes' own collection. The "Hughes 35mm Print" was made in 1970 by CFI Labs who unfortunately did not keep the original nitrate negative after the print had been made. There was a scene in the UNLV print that was badly damaged at the end of reel four, and so they needed to borrow the LOC print to replace this section - but something strange happened! The two versions were clearly VERY different. Different staging, different lines, different dialogue, but the actors and sets were obviously all the same. Then it was discovered (via Lewis Milestone's original 1931 inter-office-memo's which he donated to the Margaret Herrick Library in 1979) that there were actually three different versions! (So three different negatives). The US domestic version [LOC], the UK Version, and the General Foreign Version [UNLV]. They began to notice also that the "newly discovered" US Domestic Version (from the LOC) had specific cultural references to 1931 American contemporary humour that would not really have been understood or appreciated by the British and European audiences -- all of the jokes and banter were changed for the British/European versions to make the film relevent to wherever it was being show. The best takes were obviously inserted into the US domestic version, and the second best takes were put into the UK version, and the third best takes were put into the General Foreign version. So all of these years we have only been seeing the THIRD BEST takes, because ALL of the VHS/DVD's and YouTube copies were taken from the General Foreign Version.

All of this raises a question in my mind... If the Library of Congress had the US Domestic Version all this time, (since the early 70's), so 45 years -- why was it not discovered earlier that it was VERY different to the "General Foreign Version", that had been floating around on TV, VHS, DVD, YouTube and BluRay?

Another question; how come last years KINO blu-ray of "The Front Page" has "Library Of Congress" emblazened along the top of the Blu-ray cover artwork? If it truly was from the LOC - then surely we would have had this new "US" version last year? (I still have not bought the blu-ray so cannot personally compare it to the clips below).

Oddly enough the US Domestic Version (from the LOC -- i.e. the "newly discovered" best version) was received from the East German Film Archive via a trade in the early 1970's.

See the Video below for examples and a FULL account on the new version.

Last edited by silentfilm on Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Embedded Vimeo link

Booze Movies

PostMon Aug 22, 2016 9:46 pm

David Alp wrote:All of this raises a question in my mind... If the Library of Congress had the US Domestic Version all this time, (since the early 70's), so 45 years -- why was it not discovered earlier that it was VERY different to the "General Foreign Version", that had been floating around on TV, VHS, DVD, YouTube and BluRay?

Another question; how come last years KINO blu-ray of "The Front Page" has "Library Of Congress" emblazened along the top of the Blu-ray cover artwork? If it truly was from the LOC - then surely we would have had this new "US" version last year? (I still have not bought the blu-ray so cannot personally compare it to the clips below).

Oddly enough the US Domestic Version (from the LOC -- i.e. the "newly discovered" best version) was received from the East German Film Archive via a trade in the early 1970's

Your questions are answered in the video you posted. It appears you are mixing up the two versions of the film.

The LOC never had the US Domestic version. The LOC received their print from a German Archive. This version, which KINO used for their blu-ray, was the European version (a.k.a., the 3rd best version).

The US Domestic version was held by the UNLV from the Howard Hughes collection, which was just recently discovered to be different from the print held by the LOC.

You may want to hold off purchasing the current KINO blu-ray, as I imagine that they will release a new package with both versions (if at all possible).
Read reviews, news, and features from the world of soused cinema at "Booze Movies: The 100 Proof Film Guide." http://www.boozemovies.com/

Ray Faiola

PostTue Aug 23, 2016 5:11 am

I don't know about that. For years the LOC has had a stunning print of THE OLD DARK HOUSE available for screenings but Kino has never upgraded their video release. And that's a licensed release, not public domain.
Classic Film Scores on CD
http://www.chelsearialtostudios.com

Richard Warner

PostTue Aug 23, 2016 11:50 pm

Well, let's hope the "new" Front Page does get an eventual Blu Ray release. Isn't the problem with The Old Dark House to do with rights? I thought that Cohen (ex Rohauer) owned the movie, but Universal owned the stunning print held at the LOC.

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostWed Aug 24, 2016 7:49 am

That's what I recall from the screening at Cinesation some years ago.
“One of the wonders of the internet is that it's a totally open forum. The world's greatest expert—or greatest idiot—is free to post.” —David Shepard, quoted by Richard Bann

Scoundrel

PostThu Aug 25, 2016 8:33 am

More information on the recent discovery of the original version:

" Recently a print of The Front Page from the Howard Hughes estate was studied and, since it was in pretty good shape, was going to be used as the basis for a new restoration. One shot was problematic, so they borrowed the Library of Congress print -- the source of all those Public Domain versions over the decades -- thinking they could use it to fix the one bad shot. Upon closer examination, though, it was discovered that the two prints were totally different. Research revealed that three negatives had been prepared for the film: A U.S. version (which used the best takes and was generally more polished), an English version (now lost) and a General European version assembled from other takes and sometimes eliminating American references in the dialogue. The General European version also has a couple things that could not get by the U.S. censors, like a character giving someone the finger. The Library of Congress print was the European version, having originally been obtained from Europe. The Hughes print was the long-lost American version, unseen for decades. To restore the audio they used original metal stampers that were used to generate sound discs for theaters showing it in the sound-on-disc format. They discovered alternate stampers for Pennsylvania and Ohio, with alterations to comply with local censorship codes.

The Hughes collection has also yielded rare prints of some Lewis Milestone silent films; these are currently being restored. "

http://www.dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/index.html#foot%208
" You can't take life too seriously...you'll never get out of it alive."

Blackhawk Films customer

Harlett O'Dowd

PostThu Aug 25, 2016 8:40 am

Scoundrel wrote:More information on the recent discovery of the original version:

(Snippage)

Does anyone know if the unexpurgated version of THE ROAD BACK was also a recent discovery in the LOC vaults?

If so, what can be done do get a thorough inventory of LOC holdings? There may be other alternate versions sitting on shelves awaiting discovery.

Paul Penna

PostThu Aug 25, 2016 9:51 am

Harlett O'Dowd wrote:
Scoundrel wrote:More information on the recent discovery of the original version:

(Snippage)

Does anyone know if the unexpurgated version of THE ROAD BACK was also a recent discovery in the LOC vaults?

If so, what can be done do get a thorough inventory of LOC holdings? There may be other alternate versions sitting on shelves awaiting discovery.

The newly-discovered version didn't come from the LOC, but the UNLV Hughes collection. The LOC print is of the same version that's been circulating on "public domain" releases for years.

dede

PostFri Oct 14, 2016 7:43 pm

Good news from The Criterion Collection with their upcoming release of His Girl Friday. I'm assuming this 1931 version of The Front Page is the one that was recently found and not the one Kino recently released?

https://www.criterion.com/films/27903-his-girl-friday" target="_blank

New high-definition digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
New 2K restoration of Lewis Milestone’s The Front Page (1931), made from a recently discovered print of the director’s preferred version
New interview with film scholar David Bordwell about His Girl Friday
Archival interviews with director Howard Hawks
Featurettes from 1999 about Hawks, actor Rosalind Russell, and the making of His Girl Friday
Radio adaptation of His Girl Friday from 1940
New piece about the restoration of The Front Page
New piece about playwright and screenwriter Ben Hecht
Radio adaptations of the play The Front Page from 1937 and 1946
His Girl Friday trailers
PLUS: A booklet featuring essays on His Girl Friday and The Front Page by film critics Farran Smith Nehme and Michael Sragow
Next

Return to Talkie News