The Front Page (1931) from Kino in August

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

Rick Lanham

Re: The Front Page (1931) from Kino in August

PostFri Jan 06, 2017 9:10 am

Here's a review on DVDtalk of Criterion's release:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/71680/hi ... ollection/

Randy Miller III
"Criterion's thoughtful and well-rounded Blu-ray edition ends up being a double feature, sharing the spotlight with Lewis Milestone's The Front Page (1931); both are based on the same 1928 Broadway play by Ben Hecht and Charles MacArthur. Each film features a top-tier A/V presentations and a handful of entertaining, informative supplements... and at just $10 more than Criterion's usual price point? Highly Recommended, obviously."

Rick
“The past is never dead. It's not even past” - Faulkner.

Changsham

PostWed Jan 18, 2017 5:54 pm

Bought Criterion's HIS GIRL FRIDAY Bluray from Amazon UK for £14.99 although I see it is now selling for £17.99. Much better deal than Amazon.com where it is $49.95.

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostWed Jan 18, 2017 6:00 pm

I got it for $34.99. It'll be $25 if you're patient for a Barnes & Noble sale.
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

dede

PostWed Jan 18, 2017 7:30 pm

I'm in Australia so I usually wait for the B&N 50% sale and get them shipped to my nephew in Dallas, then I pick them up when I visit. I love my Criterion discs.

Paul Penna

PostWed Jan 18, 2017 10:28 pm

My Criterion His Girl Friday was from an Amazon Marketplace seller, $28.94 including shipping.

Scoundrel

PostThu Jan 19, 2017 4:59 am

" My Criterion His Girl Friday was from an Amazon Marketplace seller, $28.94 including shipping..."

That is what I paid as well.
Beats waiting for Barnes and Noble.
" You can't take life too seriously...you'll never get out of it alive."

Blackhawk Films customer

Rick Lanham

PostThu Jan 19, 2017 5:03 pm

Last year's Criterion Sale (direct from them, I mean) was about February 23rd.
So if they have a sale, it's only about a month away!

Rick
“The past is never dead. It's not even past” - Faulkner.

dede

PostThu Jan 19, 2017 5:13 pm

I bought from that sale last year too. I'd rather buy from Criterion direct so will wait and see.

Changsham

PostThu Jan 19, 2017 6:26 pm

dede wrote:I bought from that sale last year too. I'd rather buy from Criterion direct so will wait and see.

Amazon UK is always good value because they deduct VAT with cheap and usually fast international shipping to Australia. For this order I bought one box set, HGF Bluray and one preorder with shipping for all coming out to only £6.74.

dede

PostThu Jan 19, 2017 7:55 pm

Just received an email from Amazon UK. For toady only (January 20th) enter the code BIGTHANKS at checkout to receive £10 off any qualifying order of £50 or more

moviepas

PostFri Jan 20, 2017 3:01 am

Amazon UK is always good value because they deduct VAT with cheap and usually fast international shipping to Australia. For this order I bought one box set, HGF Bluray and one preorder with shipping for all coming out to only £6.74.

On wonder what will happen if the import sales tax starts in Australia from $1 up from July 1 including on all shipping costs with Amazon forced to add this tax on order and forward to Australian Tax Office. Still talk of a fee at the Post Office as well for handling but I hope not or any of it.

With the current drop in the UK currency value due to Brexit, it can be cheaper to get Arrow UK/US dual releases from UK.

I took advantage of the 10 pounds offer tonight for an order. Helped because there was a Marketplace title in the order and these have no tax deducted and double postage on the title even when the order is Fulfilled from Amazon's own warehouse. Not so for Fulfilled by Amazon Marketplace from USA, normal Amazon unit postage applies and not US$15 if sent direct from the seller. Some sellers have told me that they make their items Domestic Only because they say they don't get enough return for their goods from Amazon. Some I have contacted and I have paid an extra direct PayPal fee to them to ship to me and I have then had to immediately place the order thru Amazon after they altered the listing to International Shipping. Everybody is happy then. Recently, though, I was going this route and wrote to a store in Altrincham/Cheshire asking if they would make a deal when, blow me down, this title appeared in a pop-up ad from a New Zealand firm Fishpond offering a much cheaper price and no tax or freight costs from UK. I went there for the title.

Some might remember when Amazon UK had a deal a few years ago where they offered free shipping including service fee to Australia and some other Commonwealth countries and extended it a few times before they stopped it. You had to spend 25 pounds or more to get the deal. When they stopped it they did not announce it and I got a refund on an order's post as a result. I have seen Amazon give free delivery from US to Singapore. Wished they would do that again. Having said that today's costs and speed are a lot better by far since it all started about 2000 when there was a US opening fee of US$19 and a unit cost I can't remember now. Like Banks it does pay to stick to Amazon most times due to their record keeping and readiness to correct damaged or lost items for International.

s.w.a.c.

PostTue Jan 31, 2017 4:44 pm

Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!
Previous

Return to Talkie News