Atlas Obscura: Dorothy Arzner, Hidden Star Marker of Hollywo

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

silentfilm

Atlas Obscura: Dorothy Arzner, Hidden Star Marker of Hollywo

entredeuxguerres

Re: Atlas Obscura: Dorothy Arzner, Hidden Star Marker of Hol

PostFri Jul 10, 2015 9:30 am

Now I know where Blanche Friderici found the inspiration for her marvelous lesbo character in Office Wife.

Daniel Eagan

PostFri Jul 10, 2015 11:49 am

Pretty bland cut-and-paste job with no new info but some irresponsible rumors. Was there any Hollywood celebrity who didn't have sex with Joan Crawford?

The thing about Arzner is that her movies aren't very good, including Dance Girl Dance, which was resurrected from obscurity in the 1970s by "progressive" cinema studies scholars. Some made high claims for Arzner's feminist perspective, but honestly, movies like Bachelor Mother and even Swing Time were more perceptive about sexual politics and the choices women faced at the time. And of course a lot more fun to watch.

entredeuxguerres

PostFri Jul 10, 2015 7:17 pm

Daniel Eagan wrote:Pretty bland cut-and-paste job with no new info but some irresponsible rumors. Was there any Hollywood celebrity who didn't have sex with Joan Crawford?...

Can't believe the day ever dawned when Joan was that hard-up.

But more absurd was the reference to Clara Bow's Brooklyn accent.

Fashions for Women I'd dearly love to see, not only because Esther Ralston is always a wow, but because I love fashions for women; '20 & '30s, that is.

busby1959

PostMon Jul 13, 2015 12:54 pm

entredeuxguerres wrote:
Daniel Eagan wrote:Pretty bland cut-and-paste job with no new info but some irresponsible rumors. Was there any Hollywood celebrity who didn't have sex with Joan Crawford?...

Can't believe the day ever dawned when Joan was that hard-up.

But more absurd was the reference to Clara Bow's Brooklyn accent.

Fashions for Women I'd dearly love to see, not only because Esther Ralston is always a wow, but because I love fashions for women; '20 & '30s, that is.

Sadly, Ms. Crawford has become the "go to girl" for latter day hack writers who choose to exploit wanton sexual behavior in Golden Age Hollywood - probably the same hypocritical lot who heartily endorse every conceivable deviation in today's world. Doubtless we're aware of other actresses who've had more pricks than a pin cushion but they don't seem to attract the attention Joan does - nor have their careers been as unfairly besmirched. Something else we can thank the repulsive Christina for.

maliejandra

PostWed Jul 15, 2015 10:46 am

Daniel Eagan wrote:The thing about Arzner is that her movies aren't very good, including Dance Girl Dance

What? I beg to differ. Arzner's movies have a fun quality that makes them very easy to swallow. The films may not be all that important but that doesn't mean they aren't any good.

George O'Brien

PostWed Jul 15, 2015 8:47 pm

What a silly headline, "Hidden Star Maker".

Clara Bow had been a star for years when she was directed by Arzner, and Crawford had been for twice as long by the time Arzner put her through her paces in "The Bride Wore Red"(1937). Hepburn had been made a star by "A Bill of Divorcement"(1932) directed by Cukor. "Christopher Strong" was a flop - even Hepburn is quoted in the article itself as saying "It was not really a successful picture." It actually harmed her stardom.

Dorothy Arzner, whatever one thinks of her as a director, never made anyone a star.
"This bar of likker is now a bar of justice!"

earlytalkiebuffRob

PostTue Jun 20, 2017 2:47 pm

maliejandra wrote:
Daniel Eagan wrote:The thing about Arzner is that her movies aren't very good, including Dance Girl Dance

What? I beg to differ. Arzner's movies have a fun quality that makes them very easy to swallow. The films may not be all that important but that doesn't mean they aren't any good.

One problem is their availability / or in good copies. What about CRAIG'S WIFE (1936), which lingers strongly in the memory after more than twenty years?

maliejandra

PostWed Jun 21, 2017 6:51 am

There was a Dorothy Arzner spotlight at the Wexner Center back in 2003 or 2004 and I got to see a double feature: The Wild Party and Honor Among Lovers. They were all newly restored prints from UCLA (I believe) and they were gorgeous. I was surprised that soon afterward there was no DVD release. These films exist. Why not put them out there?

earlytalkiebuffRob

PostSun Jun 25, 2017 3:42 am

maliejandra wrote:There was a Dorothy Arzner spotlight at the Wexner Center back in 2003 or 2004 and I got to see a double feature: The Wild Party and Honor Among Lovers. They were all newly restored prints from UCLA (I believe) and they were gorgeous. I was surprised that soon afterward there was no DVD release. These films exist. Why not put them out there?

The films ARE available online or to download, but often in copies which range between poor to just about watchable. One is grateful for these, but it is frustrating when one is told that there are decent copies around as not all of us can afford (or spare the time) to travel to see movies, particularly if it involves crossing the Big Pond... Luckily there are a lot of other films out there to keep us busy until these become more accessible...

Rick Lanham

PostMon Jul 03, 2017 1:44 pm

Craig's Wife, mentioned above, is currently scheduled to be shown
on TCM (US), August 17th (Rosalind Russell movies):

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/monthly.htm ... 2017-08-01" target="_blank

Rick
“The past is never dead. It's not even past” - Faulkner.

Return to Talkie News