The restored version of King of jazz

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

FilmBuff8

The restored version of King of jazz

PostFri Aug 19, 2016 1:23 am

Bad news Universal is not going to release the restored version of king of jazz on Blu- ray or DVD.Some time back I sent a inquire about the restored version and when it was going to be released on Blu ray or DVD.They're response was dental! they claimed that it wasn't a universal picture ,in spite of the fact that they had released it on VHS back in the eighties.If they don't want to released it .They need to license it to another video distributor ,but, they were denying that it was ever on universal home video.They are selfish and dishonest against film consumers. :|

vitaphone

Re: The restored version of King of jazz

PostFri Aug 19, 2016 5:55 am

This is 100% untrue and unfortunately repeats some misinformation out there. This same board 3 years ago had posts from people categorically stating they were "in the know" or had "inside information"and that there were no efforts to restore KING OF JAZZ and any future efforts were dead. I knew work had already begun.

It is true that there are some issues being worked thru on a KOJ DVD/Blu-Ray and with countless screenings around the world I would not expect any announcement until towards the middle of next year.

But please, let's avoid the negatives and initiating outrage when none should exist. It will happen, just not on some folks expedited timeline. Sit tight.

bigshot

PostFri Aug 19, 2016 11:16 am

I'm sure they spent a lot of money on the restoration, and they know the second they release a blu-ray, theatrical bookings will dry up. I would expect them to milk every penny from one market before moving on to the next.

Frederica

PostFri Aug 19, 2016 12:47 pm

I saw this at the Academy earlier in the week; it's fabulously bonkers and a bagful of fun. I haven't seen that many boneless dancers since my last visit to Cirque du Soleil. I also need to know what drug the production designer was on.

While waiting in the inevitable ladies room line after the show, one woman asked me what the difference between two-strip Technicolor and regular Technicolor was. I mumbled a bit, then said "there are people in the lobby who can explain that to you in lengthy, eye-glazing detail." And there were. You know who you are.
Fred
"Screw the men. I've got the horse."
Helen B. (Penny) Chenery
http://www.nitanaldi.com"
http://www.facebook.com/NitaNaldiSilentVamp"

Rob

PostFri Aug 19, 2016 5:10 pm

Frederica wrote:You know who you are.

Yes.

Richard P. May

PostSat Aug 20, 2016 9:10 am

I was also at the screening last Wednesday, and was very pleased with the quality of the 2-color Technicolor restoration.
The dancing in the picture was way above a lot of the musicals of the early sound era. The ensembles actually stayed together in their footwork.
Universal didn't have many major stars, so I guess they couldn't put together a film such as MGM's "Hollywood Revue", or similar efforts at Paramount and Fox, but this one was more entertaining than most of those concentrating on "personalities" of the actors.
Congratulations to all at Universal and the various technical partners who finally got this piece of history put back together.
Dick May

johnnycinema

PostMon Sep 12, 2016 6:10 pm

Don't be discouraged, FilmBuff8; I contacted Universal about the Marx Brothers on blu-ray about 6 months ago when I heard some of the films were getting a restoration. They flat out told me they had no plans whatever to release them on home media; but lo and behold a few weeks ago- a restored, blu-ray box set is being released in October (HOORAY!).

So anything is possible. :D

BixB

PostTue Sep 13, 2016 8:50 am

It's amazing how many businesses that have multiple departments suffer from the left hand not knowing what the right is doing syndrome. The company I work for often operates in that sphere. I've had three such encounters just with KING OF JAZZ alone. Back in the 80's I contacted the AFI to see if they had any information on the films status. There response was "King Of Jazz is available from Universal 16." OK. So I contact U16 and their response was that Universal no longer had the rights to it. Fast forward to 2016. A local non profit here in Cincinnati wants to screen the newly restored KOJ. They contact Universal about booking the film. The caller is told they have no such film. Turned out they were talking to the wrong person. With generous help from James Layton, they finally connected with right person and all was well. Studios have always been very tight lipped about home video releases and don't like to be pestered by consumers about upcoming releases. Back in the 90's Universal was preparing a laserdisc boxed set of Maria Montez films. Unfortunately a trade journal prematurely announced the set and Universal pulled the plug and alas no Montez set ever materialized. Patience is key here. As was mentioned before, the studio spent an enormous amount of money and time to bring KOJ back to life. As long as theatrical screenings are in demand it will certainly delay the home video release. I hope too, during that time that Universal will take advantage of the delay and use it to gather up a bounty of extras, documentaries and audio commentaries to make the eventual home video release something really special. The film deserves nothing less.
Joe Busam

mwalls

PostTue Sep 13, 2016 9:52 am

Interesting note about the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing. There also seems to be some degree of secrecy, and to some extent I don't understand why. A great deal of what I do on a daily basis is to negotiate contracts, and most often I don't want any part of the negotiation becoming public for competition reasons. But, take for example of the recent thread about Paramount licensing several silent titles to Kino. The person reporting it here gave some details of some guessing games that were played with some cryptic responses as to which films were licensed. Given the limited market I would have thought that any opportunity for free advertisement would have been welcome. Is it because the releases may not be for some time in the future? Or something has to be cleared with the marketing department? I am just curious if anyone has thoughts on the shroud of secrecy.

Matthew

Donald Binks

PostTue Sep 13, 2016 4:46 pm

I have contacted Universal plus a few likely "places" here in Oz to see whether we can get a screening. I have not had the courtesy of a reply from anybody.

I think it is a sign of the times. Manners have just gone out the window. If something is of no interest to the person in receipt, then he or she won't bother to get off their bundoon and respond. "King of Jazz" seems a title only known to a handful of people!

I can only wait until such time as the film eventually turns up on DVD.
Regards from
Donald Binks

"So, she said: "Elly, it's no use letting Lou have the sherry glasses..."She won't appreciate them,
she won't polish them..."You know what she's like." So I said:..."

vitaphone

PostTue Sep 13, 2016 5:48 pm

Since Universal continues to extensively book this film all over the world, it is clear they are serious about doing so. If you were not contacting them as an actual theatre ready to do the necessary booking and contract (and instead just as an interested third party) that likely would explain a non-response.

Again, the committed venue is the one who needs to contact the appropriate Universal booking office in Hollywood. That's what has been done successfully many times already in recent months.

The theatre, not a private person, should contact [email protected] once ready to make a firm business commitment.

Donald Binks

PostTue Sep 13, 2016 7:05 pm

vitaphone wrote:Since Universal continues to extensively book this film all over the world, it is clear they are serious about doing so. If you were not contacting them as an actual theatre ready to do the necessary booking and contract (and instead just as an interested third party) that likely would explain a non-response.

Again, the committed venue is the one who needs to contact the appropriate Universal booking office in Hollywood. That's what has been done successfully many times already in recent months.

The theatre, not a private person, should contact [email protected]" target="_blank once ready to make a firm business commitment.

I realise that and that is why I have contacted art houses and specialty houses that cater for retrospective cinema. No one is apparently interested and my dealings previously with the latter only lends me to the idea they are run by 12 year olds.
Regards from
Donald Binks

"So, she said: "Elly, it's no use letting Lou have the sherry glasses..."She won't appreciate them,

vitaphone

PostTue Sep 13, 2016 8:49 pm

At least you are making a diligent effort. Was worth the try!

Donald Binks

PostTue Sep 13, 2016 9:25 pm

vitaphone wrote:At least you are making a diligent effort. Was worth the try!

I will keep trying. If one could only deal with someone of one's own age group instead of someone just out of doing a course of "movie-making" at University and thinking they know everything - when they are the same ones who project Academy ratio in widescreen and think silent pictures were played in total silence. One has to retain, I suppose, a sense of humour whilst rolling one's eyes skywards and throwing up both arms in horror. :D
Regards from
Donald Binks

BixB

PostWed Sep 14, 2016 7:12 am

Donald Binks wrote:
vitaphone wrote:At least you are making a diligent effort. Was worth the try!

I will keep trying. If one could only deal with someone of one's own age group instead of someone just out of doing a course of "movie-making" at University and thinking they know everything - when they are the same ones who project Academy ratio in widescreen and think silent pictures were played in total silence. One has to retain, I suppose, a sense of humour whilst rolling one's eyes skywards and throwing up both arms in horror. :D

I feel your pain, Donald. Believe me. The so called art cinemas here in Cincinnati would be ignoring my pleas as well. If it weren't for a local non profit organization who sponsored the film as a fund raiser, it wouldn't have played here. Keep plugging away. Hopefully, you'll crack their resistance.
Joe Busam

Donald Binks

PostFri Sep 16, 2016 2:25 am

Ron and BixB

I have been in Melbourne this week house-sitting for my brother. Today I went downtown and to the Australian Centre for the Performing Image - the main venue for retrospective cinema etc., It is Government sponsored so has plenty of moulah. :D I asked to see a curator, but they were out at a long lunch discussing whether to show Gyorski Zypjstov' of Turziklestan's 1967 epic "The Lost Goat", after which they had a plasticine play session scheduled. I was though able to fill out a feedback form with my details. Let's hope these forms don;t end up as lavatory paper.

Keep tuned - will "King of Jazz" see a screening in Oz?
Regards from
Donald Binks

BixB

PostFri Sep 16, 2016 6:44 am

Donald Binks wrote:Ron and BixB

I have been in Melbourne this week house-sitting for my brother. Today I went downtown and to the Australian Centre for the Performing Image - the main venue for retrospective cinema etc., It is Government sponsored so has plenty of moulah. :D I asked to see a curator, but they were out at a long lunch discussing whether to show Gyorski Zypjstov' of Turziklestan's 1967 epic "The Lost Goat", after which they had a plasticine play session scheduled. I was though able to fill out a feedback form with my details. Let's hope these forms don;t end up as lavatory paper.

Keep tuned - will "King of Jazz" see a screening in Oz?

Fingers crossed.
Joe Busam

dede

PostSat Sep 17, 2016 6:04 am

King of Jazz will be screening for 1 week at ACMI in Melbourne in December.

Keep an eye out on their website for the exact dates.

Donald Binks

PostSat Sep 17, 2016 6:49 am

dede wrote:King of Jazz will be screening for 1 week at ACMI in Melbourne in December.

Thanks very much! Problem solved! You obviously have found an open channel of communication!
Regards from
Donald Binks

Allon

PostSat Sep 17, 2016 10:06 am

vitaphone wrote:Since Universal continues to extensively book this film all over the world, it is clear they are serious about doing so. If you were not contacting them as an actual theatre ready to do the necessary booking and contract (and instead just as an interested third party) that likely would explain a non-response.

The theatre, not a private person, should contact [email protected]" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank once ready to make a firm business commitment.

That's [email protected]
Says Steven spellburg

Allon

dede

PostSat Sep 17, 2016 7:56 pm

Allon wrote:

The theatre, not a private person, should contact [email protected]" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank once ready to make a firm business commitment.

That's [email protected]" target="_blank
Says Steven spellburg

I understand that's what happened at ACMI in Melbourne, they approached Universal (in Australia) to make the booking. I don't think there's been any interest in screening it in Sydney.
Allon

countryslicker

PostSun Sep 18, 2016 12:38 am

dede wrote:King of Jazz will be screening for 1 week at ACMI in Melbourne in December.

Great news...much appeciate this info :D Will keep an eye out for any screening dates and if no scheduling probs occur for me down the track I'll definitely attend a screening (I live just a few hours away by train).

precode

PostSun Sep 18, 2016 4:18 pm

After 27 years of working at major studios, I can confirm that it's often the case that the left hand doesn't even know what the left hand is doing. And sadly, many of their employees are startlingly lazy who just find it easier to say "no" to everything rather than do anything that remotely resembles actual work. (Whatever reputation I have comes from not saying "no" unless there was a good reason for doing so.) They literally do not understand that they are in the retail business, and if they don't move the product, no money comes in. And if no money comes in, why should the company continue to pay them a salary and benefits? But still they don't care--all they know is it's too much "work." It's why I finally threw up my hands and got the hell outta there.

Mike S.

dede

PostSun Sep 18, 2016 6:01 pm

precode wrote:After 27 years of working at major studios, I can confirm that it's often the case that the left hand doesn't even know what the left hand is doing. And sadly, many of their employees are startlingly lazy who just find it easier to say "no" to everything rather than do anything that remotely resembles actual work. (Whatever reputation I have comes from not saying "no" unless there was a good reason for doing so.) They literally do not understand that they are in the retail business, and if they don't move the product, no money comes in. And if no money comes in, why should the company continue to pay them a salary and benefits? But still they don't care--all they know is it's too much "work." It's why I finally threw up my hands and got the hell outta there.

Mike S.

That's not the issue in this case. The local distributor has been trying to get the film booked but the "usual suspects" don't seem to be interested and there are only so many cinemas in Australia that would run a film like King Of Jazz.

Donald Binks

PostSun Sep 18, 2016 7:53 pm

dede wrote:
That's not the issue in this case. The local distributor has been trying to get the film booked but the "usual suspects" don't seem to be interested and there are only so many cinemas in Australia that would run a film like King Of Jazz.

Would have been the icing on the cake if it could have played the Regent in Melbourne - where it was originally screened; and of course, had the Wurlitzer organ playing beforehand! :D
Regards from
Donald Binks

David Alp

PostTue Sep 20, 2016 11:59 am

Awesome News!!

"KING OF JAZZ" COMES TO THE BFI LONDON ON SATURDAY 8TH OCTOBER AT 3:15PM :D :D :D :D :D

:D :D :D :D :D AT LAST! :D :D :D :D :D :D

There are not many seats left, and only one showing... So get booking NOW!

https://whatson.bfi.org.uk/lff/Online/d ... kingofjazz" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank"

dede

PostMon Nov 14, 2016 5:59 pm

Here's the info for King of Jazz at ACMI in Melbourne.

https://www.acmi.net.au/film/seniors-ci ... g-of-jazz/

King of Jazz
UNCLASSIFIED 15+
26 DEC - 10 JAN

A lavish musical revue produced for the silver screen by Universal in Hollywood’s heyday, this brand new digital restoration restores the film’s Technicolor glory, running time and visual quality in a form that has been unseen since the film’s original release over eight decades ago. One of the most ambitious musicals ever produced in Hollywood, it features a host of Broadway talent and Universal contract players.

TICKETS: SENIORS $8 NON-SENIORS $14 CONCESSION $11 MEMBER $7

Changsham

PostTue Nov 15, 2016 4:17 pm

dede wrote:Here's the info for King of Jazz at ACMI in Melbourne.

https://www.acmi.net.au/film/seniors-ci ... g-of-jazz/" target="_blank

King of Jazz
UNCLASSIFIED 15+
26 DEC - 10 JAN

A lavish musical revue produced for the silver screen by Universal in Hollywood’s heyday, this brand new digital restoration restores the film’s Technicolor glory, running time and visual quality in a form that has been unseen since the film’s original release over eight decades ago. One of the most ambitious musicals ever produced in Hollywood, it features a host of Broadway talent and Universal contract players.

TICKETS: SENIORS $8 NON-SENIORS $14 CONCESSION $11 MEMBER $7

Thanks. Booked my tickets today for the Boxing Day showing.

Donald Binks

PostTue Nov 15, 2016 6:21 pm

Changsham wrote:

I too am in the process of organising my booking for the 1.30pm performance on Boxing Day. Should you run into me, please come up and say hello!
Regards from
Donald Binks

dede

PostTue Nov 15, 2016 6:52 pm

Donald Binks wrote:
Changsham wrote:

I too am in the process of organising my booking for the 1.30pm performance on Boxing Day. Should you run into me, please come up and say hello!

Be prepared to be blown away by how good it looks on the big screen.
Next

Return to Talkie News