The restored version of King of jazz

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

BixB

Re: The restored version of King of jazz

PostTue Mar 21, 2017 8:29 am

maliejandra wrote:I had the chance to see this in Cincinnati (for $25 a ticket!) or in Columbus for $8. However, they booked it at Christmastime! Who has time to do anything except Christmas related activities in December? Certainly not me. I want to see it but I missed my chance so I hope it eventually comes to blu-ray.

Sorry the ticket prices were so high in Cincinnati but it was a fund raiser and the only viable way we could get it to play here without going into debt. Even at that, we just barely broke even. For the price of the ticket you also got a mini concert prior to the film with NY vocalist Barbara Rosene. It was a great night of entertainment.
Joe Busam

David Alp

PostTue Mar 21, 2017 2:37 pm

siriami wrote:Great news for Scottish KOJ lovers - it's getting one showing during the Glasgow Film Festival (Thursday 16th February at 3.15pm)! Booking opens on Monday - I will be there!

How did it go Siriami on the 16th February? What was the attendance like?

And did you enjoy the film?

I wonder if its showing anywhere else in the UK at present? if so, I'd definitely go and see it again.

Harlett O'Dowd

PostWed Mar 22, 2017 12:03 pm

any other future screenings?

siriami

PostThu Mar 23, 2017 3:59 am

David Alp wrote:
siriami wrote:Great news for Scottish KOJ lovers - it's getting one showing during the Glasgow Film Festival (Thursday 16th February at 3.15pm)! Booking opens on Monday - I will be there!

How did it go Siriami on the 16th February? What was the attendance like?
And did you enjoy the film?
I wonder if its showing anywhere else in the UK at present? if so, I'd definitely go and see it again.

It was a great afternoon - although the cinema was only about a quarter full, the audience was very appreciative and laughed in the right places. It was so good to see "A Bench in the Park", "Song of the Dawn", "Rhapsody in Blue" and Bing and the Rhythm Boys on the big screen in such a marvellous restoration. Now I can't wait for the Blu-ray! I haven't heard of any future screenings in the UK - but if the chance came up again and it was to be shown in Scotland - I would love to go again! I had already got a copy of the film on DVD, which I copied off UK TV in the 1980's (I think) but it was good to see this restoration in the format it was intended to be seen.
Alistair

Mark Zimmer

PostThu Mar 23, 2017 3:31 pm

All Darc wrote:Digital projection or chemical film projection ?

We are in 21 century and our technology it's still not up to, since optical 35mm color film projection have color saturation limitations, and digital projections have mostly limited dynamics range.

And even today lab work, going rom câmera negative, >> interpostive>>internegative>>print, it's not very good. Interpositives and internegative most times are not well made, not using the best printer system or top best film stocks, and as result a color print 35mm have poor shadows and not great sharpness.

And the digital TVs have faded images or poor shadows and highlights if we increase contrast, and the broadcast TV have lot's of image artefacts. Digital Age...

Mark Zimmer wrote:I'm annoyed that I only found out this was going to be playing at the Wisconsin Film Festival after the tickets were all sold out.

I can't tell for certain. It's playing at the local Sundance Cinema, which has capabilities for both 35mm and digital. It's one of the few venues remaining in town that can do both.

Robert W

PostThu Mar 23, 2017 5:38 pm

I thought this was a natural for this year's TCM Classic Film Festival in April, but the schedule has been released and no such luck. :(

dede

PostThu Mar 23, 2017 5:48 pm

Mark Zimmer wrote:
All Darc wrote:Digital projection or chemical film projection ?

We are in 21 century and our technology it's still not up to, since optical 35mm color film projection have color saturation limitations, and digital projections have mostly limited dynamics range.

And even today lab work, going rom câmera negative, >> interpostive>>internegative>>print, it's not very good. Interpositives and internegative most times are not well made, not using the best printer system or top best film stocks, and as result a color print 35mm have poor shadows and not great sharpness.

And the digital TVs have faded images or poor shadows and highlights if we increase contrast, and the broadcast TV have lot's of image artefacts. Digital Age...

Mark Zimmer wrote:I'm annoyed that I only found out this was going to be playing at the Wisconsin Film Festival after the tickets were all sold out.

I'm pretty sure that no 35mm versions of KOJ were created for this restoration, just DCP.
I can't tell for certain. It's playing at the local Sundance Cinema, which has capabilities for both 35mm and digital. It's one of the few venues remaining in town that can do both.

Robert W

PostThu Mar 23, 2017 8:02 pm

.[/quote][/quote]

I'm pretty sure that no 35mm versions of KOJ were created for this restoration, just DCP.[/quote][/quote]

My understanding is that studios are still creating 35mm negatives of all of their features (even those shot digitally) for archival use, since film still appears to offer the safest and most reliable long-term storage. But of course that doesn't mean there are any actual 35mm prints of a title like this available to book.

vitaphone

PostFri Mar 24, 2017 5:58 am

Robert W - As I indicated about 7 posts ago, no 35mm print for exhibition was made for KOJ, and that is normal procedure now (same with WHY BE GOOD?, SYNTHETIC SIN, etc.) The projection was DCP. A 35mm archival print is indeed created but is not for exhibition.

This is also now true for our Vitaphone shorts restorations as WB does not make or need 35mm exhibition prints. So our Project raises funding for UCLA to make 35mm prints so that the shorts can be seen in theatres.

busby1959

PostThu Apr 13, 2017 2:39 pm

I was of the impression - and I could very well be wrong - that all contributors to the restoration fund for KOJ would receive a copy of the book. Granted, mine was not a huge amount, but I've yet to get a copy. If I have to buy one, I'll gladly do so.

mwalls

PostThu Apr 13, 2017 4:43 pm

vitaphone wrote:Robert W - As I indicated about 7 posts ago, no 35mm print for exhibition was made for KOJ, and that is normal procedure now (same with WHY BE GOOD?, SYNTHETIC SIN, etc.) The projection was DCP. A 35mm archival print is indeed created but is not for exhibition.

This is also now true for our Vitaphone shorts restorations as WB does not make or need 35mm exhibition prints. So our Project raises funding for UCLA to make 35mm prints so that the shorts can be seen in theatres.

Hi Vitaphone, thank you for the information. I am curious as to how much it costs to create a 35mm print. Certainly there are variables, but is there a ballpark? And when it is created, is it split into numerous reels?

vitaphone

PostFri Apr 14, 2017 5:20 am

Mwalls .... It currently costs about $1000 per reel to create a 35mm print. And yes as always it is on individual reels. For our recent 15 Vitaphone shorts restorations, since the studio no longer required 35mm projectable prints nor DCP, our Project got the funding (directly to UCLA) to make 35mm prints so audiences could see them in theatres. DCPs would have cost even more.

bigshot

PostFri Apr 14, 2017 10:32 am

$1000 a reel would be for B&W. King of Jazz is color. That would cost significantly more.

dede

PostFri Apr 14, 2017 6:45 pm

bigshot wrote:$1000 a reel would be for B&W. King of Jazz is color. That would cost significantly more.

Why would color cost more?
Previous

Return to Talkie News