COHEN MEDIA GROUP TO RESTORE "THE OLD DARK HOUSE"

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

Scoundrel

COHEN MEDIA GROUP TO RESTORE "THE OLD DARK HOUSE"

PostThu Oct 13, 2016 3:09 pm

http://variety.com/2016/film/global/cohen-media-group-jacques-rivette-movies-north-america-1201887790/

" ... the Cohen Media Group V.P. archivist Tim Lanza revealed at Lyon’s Lumière Festival that the Cohen Film Collection is working with Universal on the restoration of James Whale’s 1932 “The Old Dark House.” Written by J.B. Priestley, the comedy/gothic horror film stars Boris Karloff, in his first credited role, given his name was left off of “Frankenstein,” Charles Laughton, Gloria Stewart, 63 years before she starred in “Titanic,” and Raymond Massey.

“The Old Dark House” was considered lost until director Curtis Harrington discovered material in the late 60s.
CFC will be using material stored in the Library of Congress, said Lanza. It plans a 4K restoration "

" Cohen Film Collection plans include restorations of further Douglas Fairbanks, Paul Robeson and D.W Griffith,
and titles from Norma, Constance and Natalie Talmadge.
" You can't take life too seriously...you'll never get out of it alive."

Blackhawk Films customer

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

Re: COHEN MEDIA GROUP TO RESTORE "THE OLD DARK HOUSE"

PostThu Oct 13, 2016 3:15 pm

Cinesation showed LOC's print and it was absolutely perfect and pristine. This is exciting news.
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

Ray Faiola

PostThu Oct 13, 2016 3:22 pm

And about time! Tim Lanza used to be with Raymond Rohauer, who bought the rights from the Priestly estate. It's terrific that they're finally going ahead with a restoration. I have missed the LOC print every time it has shown here in the east. I hope I can get to see it in exhibition and, eventually, on home video.
Classic Film Scores on CD
http://www.chelsearialtostudios.com

Ludi

PostThu Oct 13, 2016 4:12 pm

Very happy about this.
ernestthesiger.org

mwalls

PostThu Oct 13, 2016 4:36 pm

Great news. I have actually never seen the film. I will now wait for the release of this version and buy it.

Matthew

Danny Burk

PostThu Oct 13, 2016 4:42 pm

Great news! Every time I've seen the old DVD, I've just thought to myself how much better it could be.

Donald Binks

PostThu Oct 13, 2016 7:24 pm

I have both versions of the film - the original and the '60's re-make. I like 'em both. Great news the old one is to be further enhanced.
Regards from
Donald Binks

"I tawt I taw a Pooty Tat. I did! I did taw a Pooty Tat!

drednm

PostThu Oct 13, 2016 8:38 pm

Fine..... Then they can get started on the Norma and Constance Talmadge silents they hold.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
http://www.amazon.com/Edward-Lorusso/e/ ... 203&sr=8-1

Mister Renfield

PostThu Oct 13, 2016 11:29 pm

Terrific news!

BixB

PostFri Oct 14, 2016 12:14 pm

This is truly fantastic news especially after some "insider" told me several months ago that it would NEVER happen.
Joe Busam

Michael O'Regan

PostSun Oct 16, 2016 12:27 pm

Excellent news, indeedy.

s.w.a.c.

PostTue Oct 18, 2016 8:15 am

Just for clarification, is the copy that's available now (or was available previously) from Kino, from an Eastman House source? Not sure if it was sourced from 35mm or 16mm, but I recall reading over the years that there was a superior copy out there (presumably the LoC's) that had yet to make it to video and/or broadcast.
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

BixB

PostTue Oct 18, 2016 8:24 am

s.w.a.c. wrote:Just for clarification, is the copy that's available now (or was available previously) from Kino, from an Eastman House source? Not sure if it was sourced from 35mm or 16mm, but I recall reading over the years that there was a superior copy out there (presumably the LoC's) that had yet to make it to video and/or broadcast.

The print used for the Kino release was sourced from a 16mm print. Originally Kino had planned to use the Rouhauer print but when they saw how ghastly it looked they were ready to pull the plug on the project. It wasn't until a private collector came along with a superior copy that they moved ahead with the release.

The print housed at the Eastman House is a new 35mm print sourced from the original nitrate negative which I believe is also housed there. It's these materials that Cohen will be using for it's restoration.
Joe Busam

Ray Faiola

PostTue Oct 18, 2016 11:34 am

I own the 16mm print that Kino used. The strange thing about it is that, when the reduction negative was made, they reversed the "legend" and the main titles on the picture portion only. So on the actual 16mm print the Logo is silent and the title music continues through the legend (which should precede the logo). Really weird. Of course, Kino fixed this on their video master.

By the way, I've seen DUPES of my print and boy are they LOUSY!!
Classic Film Scores on CD
http://www.chelsearialtostudios.com

Mark Zimmer

PostWed Oct 19, 2016 10:37 am

Just watched the Kino, and it's striking how much visual artistry Whale brings to this picture. A blu-ray of a good 35mm print would make that even clearer, I expect.

mwalls

PostWed Apr 26, 2017 4:49 pm

I was curious about this as the trail seemed to have gone cold, and I am anxious to see the restored film. I contacted Cohen and asked them the status of the restoration and release. A representative told me that this is being prepared for a fall theatrical release.

Matthew

BixB

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 8:25 am

mwalls wrote:I was curious about this as the trail seemed to have gone cold, and I am anxious to see the restored film. I contacted Cohen and asked them the status of the restoration and release. A representative told me that this is being prepared for a fall theatrical release.

Matthew

Cohen has a good track record about releasing their films on DVD so hopefully a home video release won't take much longer afterwards, unless the co-ownership with Universal causes a snag.
Joe Busam

ColemanShedman

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 9:19 am

Great news. An observation, though. Karloff appeared in numerous films, according to IMDB, between 1919 and October of 1932 (when The Old Dark House was released). Hard to believe he wasn't credited in any of them.

BixB

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 9:48 am

ColemanShedman wrote:Great news. An observation, though. Karloff appeared in numerous films, according to IMDB, between 1919 and October of 1932 (when The Old Dark House was released). Hard to believe he wasn't credited in any of them.

Not exactly true. He got billing an a number of films prior to FRANKENSTEIN including some silents.
Joe Busam

wich2

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 10:28 am

camaro

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 11:47 am

Hopefully this gets a blu ray release. There is still no word on blu ray releases though of the 4k restorations of the General and Steamboat Bill Jr. so Cohen seem really slow to release certain things. If they are working with Universal maybe they could release some of the silent restorations they have done such as The Last Warning. There is still no word on a Universal release of any of their restored silent movies!

BixB

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 12:21 pm

camaro wrote:Hopefully this gets a blu ray release. There is still no word on blu ray releases though of the 4k restorations of the General and Steamboat Bill Jr. so Cohen seem really slow to release certain things. If they are working with Universal maybe they could release some of the silent restorations they have done such as The Last Warning. There is still no word on a Universal release of any of their restored silent movies!

The relationship between Cohen and Universal is a different story. Cohen group owns the rights to the film, inherited from the late Raymond Rohauer but Universal lays claim to the physical property. As such one couldn't move without the other. Somehow they reached an agreement and with assistance from the LoC, all three came together to make the restoration a reality. Considering the other restored silents. That's all in Universal's corner.
Joe Busam

Brooksie

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 2:03 pm

BixB wrote:
ColemanShedman wrote:Great news. An observation, though. Karloff appeared in numerous films, according to IMDB, between 1919 and October of 1932 (when The Old Dark House was released). Hard to believe he wasn't credited in any of them.

Not exactly true. He got billing an a number of films prior to FRANKENSTEIN including some silents.

He plays a fairly major character as early as The Deadlier Sex (1920). I don't remember whether he received an onscreen credit, but he was certainly noted in reviews.

greta de groat

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 3:15 pm

He's got a small but prominent part in Her Honor the Governor (1926) and is billed (at least in the Swedish-intertitled print that LOC has)

greta
Greta de Groat
Unsung Divas of the Silent Screen
http://www.stanford.edu/~gdegroat

sethb

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 5:28 pm

Mike Gebert wrote:Cinesation showed LOC's print and it was absolutely perfect and pristine. This is exciting news.

I have a question about the screening of archival prints. Why would LOC permit its pristine print, which was supposedly struck from the original negative, to be screened, especially if it is going to be subsequently used for a 4K restoration? Why take a chance that the print will be scratched, torn or perhaps even destroyed (if it's a nitrate print) by projecting it? I've seen similar instances where rare or even one-of-a-kind prints are being screened, and have always wondered about this. Or am I misinformed? SETH
"Novelty is always welcome, but talking pictures are just a fad." -- Irving Thalberg
"Who the hell wants to hear actors talk ?" -- Harry Warner

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 6:05 pm

Because they trusted the guys at Cinesation not to do any of that.
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

mwalls

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 6:18 pm

sethb wrote:
Mike Gebert wrote:Cinesation showed LOC's print and it was absolutely perfect and pristine. This is exciting news.

I have a question about the screening of archival prints. Why would LOC permit its pristine print, which was supposedly struck from the original negative, to be screened, especially if it is going to be subsequently used for a 4K restoration? Why take a chance that the print will be scratched, torn or perhaps even destroyed (if it's a nitrate print) by projecting it? I've seen similar instances where rare or even one-of-a-kind prints are being screened, and have always wondered about this. Or am I misinformed? SETH

To Mike's point they trusted the people handling the print, and if they did not it would get back to the same argument that archives hold prints and never allow anyone to see them. But to SETH's point, with for example the recent "finding" of Alice White's Naughty Baby, that is being screened at Capitolfest. For a very long time this film was thought lost and there was a great deal of excitement when it was spotted. Presumably, the print being shown at Capitolfest is the one and only known print to exist. If something happens to it, and despite best intentions sometimes things go awry, then it is "lost" again. I don't think there is a perfect answer outside of immediately making a duplicate or scan of the single known prints; but that is fantasy for lack of funding and resources.

Matthew

Danny Burk

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 8:59 pm

A reputable archive isn't irresponsible enough to loan a unique, unpreserved print. A loaned print may be the only projection print on hand, but the archive will have preservation material (e.g. nitrate original, safety negative, etc) as a non-circulating item.

Allon

PostFri Apr 28, 2017 8:19 pm

Universal did a terrific film restoration from the nitrate picture, track and fine grain. Due to the rights it was never shown. Fast forward 10 years and Universal wants to work on King Of Jazz.
A win win deal was made that benefits both parties AND the public. KOJ material was traded for ODH

Allon

Return to Talkie News