Karel Zeman on Blu-ray

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

bigshot

Karel Zeman on Blu-ray

PostFri Dec 23, 2016 11:38 am

The Karel Zeman Museum in Czechoslovakia has produced two interesting blu-rays... Invention For Destruction (aka Fabulous World of Jules Verne) and The Fabulous Baron Munchausen. I have the Jules Verne disc and the transfer is beautiful, it's region free and has English subtitles. I just ordered the Baron Munchausen disc. I'm told it is English friendly too.

Amazing effects similar to Melies. These will probably never get a release in the US, so it's worth ordering from them. Shipping is quick. They take PayPal. The discs are around $15 apiece and shipping is $14. (same shipping for two as for one).

http://www.muzeumkarlazemana.cz/e-shop/ ... ay?lang=en" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

Last edited by silentfilm on Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Embedded YouTube link

Ray Faiola

Re: Karel Zeman on Blu-ray

PostTue Dec 27, 2016 6:17 am

We ran my 16mm print of the Zemans' REVE NOEL over the Holidays. This prize-winning Christmas short was imported by Universal-International, who replaced it's wonderful musical score and added - of all people - Santa Claus - via not-so-special effects. Universal released it theatrically as A CHRISTMAS DREAM and to the home movie market through their Castle Films division.

I've uploaded my print of the original to YouTube:

Classic Film Scores on CD
http://www.chelsearialtostudios.com

bigshot

PostWed Dec 28, 2016 2:10 pm

thanks for that!

bigshot

PostThu Jan 12, 2017 12:05 pm

I received Baron Munchausen today in the mail. The transfer and restoration is drop dead gorgeous! I've never seen a film that looked like this before. Amazing!

The disc seems to be region free. Well worth the effort of ordering.

Return to Talkie News