Pre-Code Gem Premieres on TCM 12/28/16

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

Eric Cohen

Pre-Code Gem Premieres on TCM 12/28/16

PostMon Dec 26, 2016 6:26 pm

Pleasure Cruise ('33), directed by Frank Tuttle, written by B'way vet Guy Bolton and with Roland Young, Genevieve Tobin, Una O'Connor, Minna Gombell and Herbert Mundin, will have its primetime TCM premiere Wednesday, 12/28/2016. It was screened last year at the TCM Festival. Many of us saw it in 2009 in Massillon, Ohio (sigh). Look for a great silent era comedic supporting player as a briefly seen bellboy.

MDJimenez

Re: Pre-Code Gem Premieres on TCM 12/28/16

PostWed Dec 28, 2016 2:38 pm

I think the film showing after Pleasure Cruise, Wedding Rehearsal, hasn't been shown on TCM before.

boblipton

PostWed Dec 28, 2016 3:01 pm

My listings show I've seen it before, and TCM would be the place, but I have no clear memory and will be watching it again.

Bob
Film is not the art of scholars, but of illiterates.

-- Werner Herzog

Rick Lanham

PostWed Dec 28, 2016 3:14 pm

Wedding Rehearsal appears a couple of times in my old TCM schedules, in 2009.
Pleasure Cruise doesn't show up.

Rick
“The past is never dead. It's not even past” - Faulkner.

MDJimenez

PostWed Dec 28, 2016 3:33 pm

Good to know! I thought it seemed oddly familiar. Five years is a long time to wait!

aldiboronti

PostWed Dec 28, 2016 4:41 pm

It is indeed a gem and of course Roland Young is always a delight to watch. I was fortunate enough to record it the last time it aired, although I can't recall where or when that was.

MDJimenez

PostThu Dec 29, 2016 9:44 am

Did anyone else notice the swimming pool bit that was taken from Transatlantic and added to add some production value to Pleasure Cruise? The scene ends right before you could see Myrna Loy sitting on the far side of the pool. I thought the print was a little dark in places, but it was an enjoyable sophisticated sex farce.

Harlett O'Dowd

PostThu Jan 05, 2017 10:07 am

MDJimenez wrote:Did anyone else notice the swimming pool bit that was taken from Transatlantic and added to add some production value to Pleasure Cruise? The scene ends right before you could see Myrna Loy sitting on the far side of the pool. I thought the print was a little dark in places, but it was an enjoyable sophisticated sex farce.

Like may pre-codes, the build-up made me hope for more than I received. That said, Una O'Connor was a revelation - delightfully shocking and very very funny.

R Michael Pyle

PostThu Jan 05, 2017 10:23 am

Harlett O'Dowd wrote:
MDJimenez wrote:Did anyone else notice the swimming pool bit that was taken from Transatlantic and added to add some production value to Pleasure Cruise? The scene ends right before you could see Myrna Loy sitting on the far side of the pool. I thought the print was a little dark in places, but it was an enjoyable sophisticated sex farce.

Like may pre-codes, the build-up made me hope for more than I received. That said, Una O'Connor was a revelation - delightfully shocking and very very funny.

I think Una O'Connor is one of the single most underrated and overlooked of the old actresses! In her scenes in "The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938) she is ALWAYS far more compelling than either Flynn or DeHavilland. If someone hasn't already, a fine full-length appreciative biography of this great Irish lady (who played equally as many Scots with a perfect Scots accent!) should be written. I know that there was a short one by Axel Nissen.

greta de groat

PostThu Jan 05, 2017 11:25 am

Harlett O'Dowd wrote:Like may pre-codes, the build-up made me hope for more than I received. That said, Una O'Connor was a revelation - delightfully shocking and very very funny.

She was definitely the best thing about the film, which i otherwise didn't find very funny. Though i do have a soft spot for Ralph Forbes, whose preening demeanor served him well in this part. I find him amusing, which i assume was intentional in this part, though not necessarily in others.

greta
Greta de Groat
Unsung Divas of the Silent Screen
http://www.stanford.edu/~gdegroat

drednm

PostWed Jan 18, 2017 6:44 am

Finally watched Pleasure Cruise, a clever little film. And yes, Una O'Connor stole the film though she did look a little like Larry Fine in drag.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
http://www.amazon.com/Edward-Lorusso/e/ ... 203&sr=8-1

FrankFay

PostWed Jan 18, 2017 7:47 pm

drednm wrote:Finally watched Pleasure Cruise, a clever little film. And yes, Una O'Connor stole the film though she did look a little like Larry Fine in drag.

I was surprised by O'Connor in HORSE PLAY (1933) - she was well dressed & in her was attractive - though later she did have a great drunk scene
Eric Stott

drednm

PostWed Jan 18, 2017 8:11 pm

FrankFay wrote:
drednm wrote:Finally watched Pleasure Cruise, a clever little film. And yes, Una O'Connor stole the film though she did look a little like Larry Fine in drag.

I was surprised by O'Connor in HORSE PLAY (1933) - she was well dressed & in her was attractive - though later she did have a great drunk scene

Haven't seen that one...... She's always a scene stealer
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
http://www.amazon.com/Edward-Lorusso/e/ ... 203&sr=8-1

FrankFay

PostThu Jan 19, 2017 2:42 am

drednm wrote:
FrankFay wrote:

Haven't seen that one...... She's always a scene stealer

It is one of a group of Universal pictures that have been fairly recently restored-
Eric Stott

Return to Talkie News