Carrie Fisher Dead at 60

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

boblipton

Carrie Fisher Dead at 60

PostTue Dec 27, 2016 12:06 pm

The actress (best known for Star Wars) and writer, daughter of Debbie Reynolds and Eddie Fisher, has passed on.

http://people.com/movies/carrie-fisher-dies/" target="_blank

Bob
His plagiarism was limited only by his faulty technique.

-- Peter Schickele

Roseha

Re: Carrie Fish Dead at 60

PostTue Dec 27, 2016 12:12 pm

So very sad. Way too young. RIP.
- Rosemary

Dean Thompson

Re: Carrie Fisher Dead at 60

PostTue Dec 27, 2016 12:44 pm

I'm very sorry to hear this news. Her three volumes of memoirs are to be admired for their wit and candor and especially their forthrightness in delineating her struggles with bipolar disorder. Rest in peace.
Last edited by Dean Thompson on Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

silentfilm

PostTue Dec 27, 2016 12:49 pm

Just saw a CGI version of her younger self in Rogue One last week. I wonder if her scenes from the next Star Wars film have already been shot? Regardless, I'm sad to see her go. She was also a nice suprise in When Harry Met Sally. I have a lobby card at home of her in The Blues Brothers.

R. Cat

PostTue Dec 27, 2016 1:21 pm

silentfilm wrote:Just saw a CGI version of her younger self in Rogue One last week. I wonder if her scenes from the next Star Wars film have already been shot? Regardless, I'm sad to see her go. She was also a nice suprise in When Harry Met Sally. I have a lobby card at home of her in The Blues Brothers.

Sad news indeed. Her outlook wasn't promising from initial reports, but hoped for the best. So many of us were recently reminded of her pivotal role in the original Star Wars trilogy through the brief reenacted cameo of her character in Rogue One. Carrie will always be Princess Leia in our memories, taken far, far away too soon. Condolences to her family, friends and many fans.

Alas, 2016 hasn't been a good year for the heroes and heroines of our youth (trying to keep fingers crossed for 2017 ...hopefully arthritis won't set in).

BrianG

PostTue Dec 27, 2016 1:24 pm

My wife and I loved her HBO special "Wishful Drinking". She had a great sense of humor.

Donald Binks

PostTue Dec 27, 2016 1:54 pm

I had recently caught up with her by her appearances on the London TV show "The Last Leg" hosted by the Aussie comedian Adam Hills and also broadcast in Oz. She was an absolute hoot with a wonderful sense of humour. Another sad loss for 2016. R.I.P.
Regards from
Donald Binks

"I was in love with a beautiful blonde one time. She led me to drink. It's the only thing I'm thankful to her for."

boblipton

PostTue Dec 27, 2016 3:50 pm

New York Times obituary:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/27/movie ... v=top-news" target="_blank

Bob
Last edited by boblipton on Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
His plagiarism was limited only by his faulty technique.

-- Peter Schickele

mwalls

PostTue Dec 27, 2016 3:55 pm

Very sad news. I do hope that in terms of her character on the new Star Wars movies, that they write her character out and absolutely do not attempt to have another actress take over the part.

Matthew

The Blackbird

PostTue Dec 27, 2016 5:16 pm

Wow, I can still remember the promos for the television remake of COME BACK, LITTLE SHEBA when they aired in December of 1977, listing her as "Carrie Fisher, of STAR WARS." So long ago...

Frederica

PostTue Dec 27, 2016 5:17 pm

mwalls wrote:Very sad news. I do hope that in terms of her character on the new Star Wars movies, that they write her character out and absolutely do not attempt to have another actress take over the part.

Matthew

It wasn't a problem in Rogue One. (Either for Ms. Fisher or Peter Cushing.) :D
Fred
"Every revelation you make is an illusion; so far, no one has succeeded in knowing you. Your white pumps literally go with any outfit."
Kim Kierkegaardashian
http://www.nitanaldi.com"
http://www.facebook.com/NitaNaldiSilentVamp"

All Darc

PostTue Dec 27, 2016 7:32 pm

Very sad news. Cardiology, still a mess after so many decades.

RIP Carrie Fisher. My condolences to Debbie Reynolds and family.

Peter cushing receated by CGI ? Are you sure ?
George Lucas once said he would never use CGI to recreate dead actors.
Keep thinking...

silentfilm

PostTue Dec 27, 2016 9:12 pm

There are already reports that she had a drug relapse before her death.

http://pagesix.com/2016/12/27/carrie-fisher-had-drug-relapse-before-death/

ClarenceE

PostTue Dec 27, 2016 10:16 pm

God Bless her. She advanced the public profile of those with BiPolar and other versions of Depression, including mine (clinical depression). Also, she was a darned good writer & truly funny person.

All Darc

PostWed Dec 28, 2016 6:50 am

I'm not sure if the story it's true, but I heard that in Carrie's book she said that was her mother who introduced her to drugs at the age of 13, starting with marijuana.
Strange cause Debbie Reynolds hated the tobacco industry. Would her hated tobacco industry and concent marijuana ???

Carries went from marijuana, to LSD, to cocaine... Years of drugs damages the heart.
Drug adiction is never cured. They can get into desintoxication, rehabilitation, but the addiction it's always there, and any contact with the drug again will trigger the vice and compulsion again. In some cases the strong desire remains every day. The brain it's altered by drugs, the neurotransmitter balance changes for life.

Even the founder of alcoholic anonymous asked for a drink in his dead bed.

Carrie had also bipolar disorder, making the situation even worse, difficult to control the addiction.
Neurology it's very, very limited...
Keep thinking...

Joe Thompson

PostThu Dec 29, 2016 12:09 am

I was impressed to learn that Carrie Fisher had an active career as a script doctor. She worked on a variety of things, including the Young Indiana Jones television series, Sister Act and The Wedding Singer. She said she gave it up because producers asked for proposals, took her notes, but didn't hire her. She didn't like working for free. Good for her.
Regards,
Joe Thompson ;0)
http://bigvriotsquad.blogspot.com/

telical

PostFri Dec 30, 2016 7:42 pm

All Darc wrote:Even the founder of alcoholic anonymous asked for a drink in his dead bed.

Do you have a source for that?

Brooksie

PostSat Dec 31, 2016 8:03 pm

As a girl who grew up in the late 1970s and early 1980s, it is difficult to underestimate the impact that Princess Leia had on a growing mind. Even as a five-year-old, I distinctly remember wondering why, in television shows like Speed Racer,Battle of the Planets and The Dukes of Hazzard, the girl's job was to hang back and look concerned and beautiful, while the men got to do all the exciting things. Hence, my two early heroines - Lynda Carter in Wonder Woman and Princess Leia in Star Wars.

To my mind, the latter is one of those roles where the character is absolutely indivisible from the actor - like Ingrid Bergman in Casablanca, or Gone With The Wind without Vivien Leigh. There could be no Leia, as we know her, without Carrie Fisher.

She was also a terrific, very funny writer. I've read and enjoyed all of her fiction books, and can thoroughly recommend them - harrowing though they sometimes are - particularly Postcards from the Edge and its sequel, The Best Awful. A very sad and premature loss.

All Darc

PostSat Dec 31, 2016 9:01 pm

It was a commentary of a good journalist during a debate on TV. Also said he died of cancer.
Anyway it makes a lot of sense, since deep alcoholics, even after desintoxication and social recovery, in general fights the adiction almost every day. He knew he was dying and would be dead in few days or horus, and asked for a drink. And I supose he was already on morfine, like most terminal câncer patients in last stage.

Like I said, medicine it's still a mess, can't cure adiction at all.
Can't even control compulsion for food, and the proof of theat are the grotesque Gastric Bypass Surgery , proof of pharmacology fail in produce anything safe in that matter.

Man will reach Mars, and medicine will be the same s...

telical wrote:
All Darc wrote:Even the founder of alcoholic anonymous asked for a drink in his dead bed.

Do you have a source for that?
Keep thinking...

silentfilm

PostMon Jan 02, 2017 9:09 pm

Carrie Fisher in The Blues Brothers (1980).

LouieD

PostMon Jan 02, 2017 9:32 pm

All Darc wrote:I'm not sure if the story it's true, but I heard that in Carrie's book she said that was her mother who introduced her to drugs at the age of 13, starting with marijuana.
Strange cause Debbie Reynolds hated the tobacco industry. Would her hated tobacco industry and concent marijuana ???

Carries went from marijuana, to LSD, to cocaine... Years of drugs damages the heart.
Drug adiction is never cured. They can get into desintoxication, rehabilitation, but the addiction it's always there, and any contact with the drug again will trigger the vice and compulsion again. In some cases the strong desire remains every day. The brain it's altered by drugs, the neurotransmitter balance changes for life.

Carrie had also bipolar disorder, making the situation even worse, difficult to control the addiction.

F-U-C-K O-F-F

All Darc

PostTue Jan 03, 2017 5:19 am

What a kindness of yours... :shock:

Are you angry cause I talked about something suposed from her own book, or because I made critics to the limitations of medical science?

There is a difference about speak of her personal problems and speak against her.

LouieD wrote:
All Darc wrote:I'm not sure if the story it's true, but I heard that in Carrie's book she said that was her mother who introduced her to drugs at the age of 13, starting with marijuana.

F-U-C-K O-F-F
Keep thinking...

Return to Talkie News