Davis / Crawford feud new series

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

BGM

Davis / Crawford feud new series

PostWed Jan 18, 2017 8:20 pm

Just heard on NPR that a new series about the Bette Davis and Joan Crawford feud during the filming of Whatever Happened to Baby Jane will air on FX sometime this year.Stars Susan Sarandon and Jessica Lane. Checked out photo online and Susan Sarandon really looks likes Bette Davis---Jessica Lane is playing Joan !!

Danny

Re: Davis / Crawford feud new series

PostThu Jan 19, 2017 9:09 am

Thanks, BGM. Can you please share the Link to this announcement? I have always thought that Shaun Considine's book The Divine Feud, would make a good movie.

Danny

drednm

PostThu Jan 19, 2017 9:34 am

Danny wrote:Thanks, BGM. Can you please share the Link to this announcement? I have always thought that Shaun Considine's book The Divine Feud, would make a good movie.

Danny

I think this is a series.....
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
http://www.amazon.com/Edward-Lorusso/e/ ... 203&sr=8-1

Roseha

PostSat Jan 21, 2017 9:26 pm

Not to nitpick but is it Jessica Lange in the other role? sounds intriguing.
- Rosemary

Danny

PostSun Jan 22, 2017 11:11 am

ajabrams

PostSun Jan 22, 2017 1:24 pm

Here's a link to pictures of the actresses "in character":

http://ew.com/tv/feud-bette-and-joan-fi ... n-crawford

Harlowgold

PostTue Jan 24, 2017 7:19 pm

Don't know who Sarandon is trying to look like but it's not Bette Davis, and Lange seems to be channeling Faye Dunaway as Joan Crawford more than the original actress. Frankly this "series" sounds like a terrible idea and hate to see two icons who much of the younger public don't know very well portrayed as catty shrews. (And aren't Lange and Sarandon just a little old to be playing Bette and Joan in their early to late fifties?)

George O'Brien

PostFri Jan 27, 2017 11:21 pm

Susan Sarandon looks as though she is playing Elizabeth Wilson, the stage and screen actress whose most high profile role was probably Benjamin's mother in "The Graduate".

And you are quite right, Jessica Lange looks as though she is playing Faye Dunaway playing Joan Crawford in "Mommie Dearest".
"This bar of likker is now a bar of justice!"

busby1959

PostThu Feb 02, 2017 6:32 pm

The whole idea is noxious to me. At this point, whatever actual "feud" occurred between Davis and Crawford has been so blown out of proportion it now seems like a fabricated Jackie Collins novel without the sex. Regardless of how one feels about the ladies, trashing their memory by reducing them to John Waters characters and ignoring their impressive contributions to film history is repulsive. This is how you introduce Bette Davis and Joan Crawford to an entire generation (or two) who have heard of them? Just miserable.

drednm

PostFri Feb 03, 2017 9:55 am

George O'Brien wrote:Susan Sarandon looks as though she is playing Elizabeth Wilson, the stage and screen actress whose most high profile role was probably Benjamin's mother in "The Graduate".

And you are quite right, Jessica Lange looks as though she is playing Faye Dunaway playing Joan Crawford in "Mommie Dearest".

Wilson's biggest role may have been as the mother in Little Murders who joyfully cries out "Come and GET it!" to her family as meals are served in their tiny New York apartment.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

Michael O'Regan

PostSun Feb 05, 2017 6:40 am

I don't like the sound of this at all.

wich2

PostSun Feb 05, 2017 8:47 pm

Gracious, folks!

Movie stars, who made their bones in the drammers, are not fair game for the same medium?

Harlowgold

PostTue Feb 07, 2017 12:59 pm

drednm wrote:
George O'Brien wrote:Susan Sarandon looks as though she is playing Elizabeth Wilson, the stage and screen actress whose most high profile role was probably Benjamin's mother in "The Graduate".

Wilson's biggest role may have been as the mother in Little Murders who joyfully cries out "Come and GET it!" to her family as meals are served in their tiny New York apartment.

Her most famous role though is probably the older snitch at the office in 9 to 5 always kissing up to boss Dabney Coleman and snooping on the other office staff.

Harlowgold

PostTue Feb 07, 2017 1:03 pm

busby1959 wrote:The whole idea is noxious to me. At this point, whatever actual "feud" occurred between Davis and Crawford has been so blown out of proportion it now seems like a fabricated Jackie Collins novel without the sex. Regardless of how one feels about the ladies, trashing their memory by reducing them to John Waters characters and ignoring their impressive contributions to film history is repulsive. This is how you introduce Bette Davis and Joan Crawford to an entire generation (or two) who have heard of them? Just miserable.

I completely agree with you - this is such a minor chapter in the lives of two iconic stars who frankly most people under 40 don't know much about and now they will see them as old banshees tearing each other apart. Kind of surprised Jessica Lange got involved with this project though not Sarandon since she does commercials (which alone would have made Bette despise her casting) and seems rather desperate for attention (wasn't she also in a reality show a couple years ago?) . And apparently there are EIGHT episodes of this travesty which seems hard to stretch beyond one. They certainly didn't like each other but I think their "feud" was very small potatoes next to the Twitter flame wars of today's "stars".

wich2

PostTue Feb 07, 2017 2:20 pm

Harlowgold wrote:Kind of surprised Jessica Lange got involved with this project though not Sarandon since she does commercials (which alone would have made Bette despise her casting)

It's a business, and folks there need to make a living like in any business. Neither actors then, nor actors now, were/are demigods!
Last edited by silentfilm on Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Embedded YouTube link

Michael O'Regan

PostWed Feb 08, 2017 10:00 am

Remember what happened to Faye Dunaway??!!
:shock:

Harlowgold

PostMon Feb 13, 2017 11:17 am

wich2 wrote:
Harlowgold wrote:Kind of surprised Jessica Lange got involved with this project though not Sarandon since she does commercials (which alone would have made Bette despise her casting)

It's a business, and folks there need to make a living like in any business. Neither actors then, nor actors now, were/are demigods!

I presumed every one on this board knows in the 1930's stars had no choice in the matter of endorsements and plugs - and they weren't paid either, the studio got the loot. It was all part of the job. When Bette Davis was free to make the decision on her own whether or not to endorse she didn't - neither did Katharine Hepburn and several others. Sarandon is a very well paid film actress who certainly does not need "to make a living" hocking makeup and headache potions. Seems this little radical has more than a seed of capitalism in her when it comes to cushioning her own nest. Bette Davis would have been appalled by her.

wich2

PostMon Feb 13, 2017 1:27 pm

And who forced St. Bette to sully herself shilling booze?

Sorry, but people are people, and making a living is making a living.

Harlowgold

PostMon Feb 13, 2017 1:57 pm

Lol, well I guess Bette didn't count her photographic image as "selling out". I did know she did the "What Becomes a Legend Most" print ad in the 1970s.

drednm

PostTue Feb 14, 2017 7:15 am

Michael O'Regan wrote:Remember what happened to Faye Dunaway??!!
:shock:

Dunaway never recovered from her litigious ways over not getting hired to play Norma Desmond in the musical "Sunset Boulevard." The fact that she couldn't sing seemed beyond her understanding. She sort of disappeared after that. Even her "Master Class" film project with Ken Russell never surfaced.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

wich2

PostTue Feb 14, 2017 10:08 am

And, she victimized herself with one of the more frightening plastic surgeries since Jocelyn Wildenstein's.

drednm

PostFri Feb 17, 2017 5:42 am

Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

Harlowgold

PostMon Mar 06, 2017 5:13 pm

drednm wrote:and speaking of Dunaway....

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/race/o ... ion-972762" target="_blank

Well, we all know how that turned on :roll:

Has anybody watched this? I don't have cable so I don't have access to this show. The new Time gives it a somewhat good review although it gives writer/producer Ryan Murphy a mild slap for feigning sympathy for them while turning them into "Real Housewives" type shrews (and in a note of hypocrisy the article is titled "Bon Fire of the Vain Biddies" or something like that).

Same issue mentions other feuds and gets the Fontaine/De Havilland legend wrong by saying Joan ungraciously declined Liv's congratulations when she won the Oscar over her when of course it was Olivia who snubbed Joan several years later in a year Joan was not nominated.

Harlett O'Dowd

PostTue Mar 07, 2017 9:30 am

Harlowgold wrote:
drednm wrote:and speaking of Dunaway....

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/race/o ... ion-972762" target="_blank" target="_blank

Well, we all know how that turned on :roll:

Has anybody watched this? I don't have cable so I don't have access to this show. The new Time gives it a somewhat good review although it gives writer/producer Ryan Murphy a mild slap for feigning sympathy for them while turning them into "Real Housewives" type shrews (and in a note of hypocrisy the article is titled "Bon Fire of the Vain Biddies" or something like that).

Same issue mentions other feuds and gets the Fontaine/De Havilland legend wrong by saying Joan ungraciously declined Liv's congratulations when she won the Oscar over her when of course it was Olivia who snubbed Joan several years later in a year Joan was not nominated.

I watched it. It's campy, bitchy trash. If that's your cup of hemlock, you'll have a good time. If you want a making-of documentary, you will be disappointed.

Broadway vet Jackie Hoffman is a hoot as Mamacita, Joan's long-time German maid. Kathy Bates is fun in her brief appearance as Joan Blondell. Sarandon is much better than I expected as Bette. The others, including Lange (whose face is all wrong and droopy for Crawford) don't fare as well.

Question - did they film Joan's house scenes at the same locations they filmed MOMMIE DEAREST? (I'm reasonably sure Joan had sold her Brentwood manse and was living full time in NYC by 1960 which makes this doubly anachronistic if it is)

Return to Talkie News