REDSKIN LOST DISKS FOUND, VITAPHONE TRACK NOW COMPLETE

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

David Menefee

• Location: Author, editor, and Assistant Publisher BearManor Media

REDSKIN LOST DISKS FOUND, VITAPHONE TRACK NOW COMPLETE

PostFri Jan 20, 2017 3:24 pm

“REDSKIN” LOST DISKS FOUND, VITAPHONE TRACK NOW COMPLETE
Six of the Vitaphone disks for REDSKIN (Par/'29) in Ron Hutchinson's collection. They will be made available to The Library of Congress for restoration of the full original synchronized soundtrack.
Paramount's last silent feature was REDSKIN ('29), starring Richard Dix and was mostly Technicolor production with a full synchronized score. This beautiful film, directed by Victor Schertzinger, had only surviving disks for reels 1, 3 and 8 when it was restored by The Library of Congress about 15 years ago. The missing score was replaced with a piano accompaniment. In 2011, the Project's Ron Hutchinson acquired nearly 80 disks in New Haven, CT. Included were REDSKIN disks for reels 2, 3, 5, 7 and 8. In November, 2016, Michael Cumella alerted Ron to yet another disk for the film, for reel 6. This was successfully acquired, and with the disk for reel 4 residing in the collection of a Delaware collector, all the disks for REDSKIN are now known.

As of this writing, the Project is working with Mike Mashon at The Library of Congress to best determine how an upgraded restoration with the full soundtrack may proceed.

Full story here: http://www.picking.com/vitaphone141.html" target="_blank

Donald Binks

Re: REDSKIN LOST DISKS FOUND, VITAPHONE TRACK NOW COMPLETE

PostFri Jan 20, 2017 4:39 pm

Wonderful news. I don't usually enjoy "Western" type pictures - but I thoroughly enjoyed this.

It never ceases to amaze me how after all this time we are still seeing necessary artifacts turning up!
Regards from
Donald Binks

"So, she said: "Elly, it's no use letting Lou have the sherry glasses..."She won't appreciate them,
she won't polish them..."You know what she's like." So I said:..."

David Alp

PostSat Jan 21, 2017 9:00 pm

Amazing news! It just shows you doesn't it -- stuff is being found all the time!

earlytalkiebuffRob

PostSun Jan 22, 2017 6:19 am

I presume the restoration mentioned was a second one, as I went to see REDSKIN at the National Film Theatre in the late 1970s or perhaps slightly later. The copy was very good indeed, as I recall, but with a piano accompaniment.

Return to Talkie News