Warner Archive for 2017

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author
  • Message
Offline
User avatar

Harold Aherne

  • Posts: 1647
  • Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:08 pm
  • Location: North Dakota

Warner Archive for 2017

PostSun Jan 22, 2017 9:23 am

Some mid-30s Warner titles are scheduled for January, namely Desirable, Easy to Love, Journal of a Crime (all 1934) and Red Hot Tires (1935). Titles announced for February so far include A Lady's Morals (1930), Whistling in the Dark (1933) and Woman Against Woman (1938).

For those who keep track of such things (mostly me, probably), this release of A Lady's Morals is Grace Moore's DVD debut.

-HA
Offline

ajabrams

  • Posts: 242
  • Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:50 pm

Re: Warner Archive for 2017

PostSun Jan 22, 2017 1:46 pm

Harold Aherne wrote:Some mid-30s Warner titles are scheduled for January, namely Desirable, Easy to Love, Journal of a Crime (all 1934) and Red Hot Tires (1935). Titles announced for February so far include A Lady's Morals (1930), Whistling in the Dark (1933) and Woman Against Woman (1938).

For those who keep track of such things (mostly me, probably), this release of A Lady's Morals is Grace Moore's DVD debut.

-HA

With all due respect, there is the Bel Canto Society's DVD release of LOUISE, directed by Abel Gance and starring Grace Moore. It's been available for quite some time.
Offline
User avatar

Harold Aherne

  • Posts: 1647
  • Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:08 pm
  • Location: North Dakota

Re: Warner Archive for 2017

PostSun Jan 22, 2017 2:17 pm

I thought I recalled Louise being available somewheres, but Film Aficionado doesn't have it in their database so I missed it. Oh well.

"Every little breeze seems to whisper...."

-HA
Offline

ajabrams

  • Posts: 242
  • Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:50 pm

Re: Warner Archive for 2017

PostSun Jan 22, 2017 4:16 pm

Indeed those breezes do!!! Hope that A LADY'S MORALS is just the beginning of lots "more Moore" on legit DVD's!!
Offline
User avatar

drednm

  • Posts: 6829
  • Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:41 pm
  • Location: Belgrade Lakes, ME

Re: Warner Archive for 2017

PostMon Jan 23, 2017 6:03 am

Louise is available in French and without English subs ... last time I looked.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
http://www.amazon.com/Edward-Lorusso/e/ ... 203&sr=8-1
Offline
User avatar

precode

  • Posts: 463
  • Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:49 pm
  • Location: Shemptown

Re: Warner Archive for 2017

PostFri Feb 03, 2017 1:05 am

ajabrams wrote:Indeed those breezes do!!! Hope that A LADY'S MORALS is just the beginning of lots "more Moore" on legit DVD's!!


I wouldn't hold my breath. When I was at Sony, I wanted to do a box set of her five Columbia pictures. The conversation went like this:
"Who's Grace Moore?"
"A legendary opera singer."
"Not a chance in Hell."

Just one more reason why I left.

Mike S.
Offline

bradleyem

  • Posts: 91
  • Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:46 pm

Re: Warner Archive for 2017

PostSat Feb 04, 2017 9:55 pm

precode wrote:
ajabrams wrote:Indeed those breezes do!!! Hope that A LADY'S MORALS is just the beginning of lots "more Moore" on legit DVD's!!


I wouldn't hold my breath. When I was at Sony, I wanted to do a box set of her five Columbia pictures. The conversation went like this:
"Who's Grace Moore?"
"A legendary opera singer."
"Not a chance in Hell."

Just one more reason why I left.

Mike S.


Grace Moore, at Columbia, made the mistake of not having the Three Stooges as comic relief in at least one of her films. She'd have been well known enough to have double- and triple-dipped box sets. (:
Offline
User avatar

Harold Aherne

  • Posts: 1647
  • Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:08 pm
  • Location: North Dakota

Re: Warner Archive for 2017

PostSun Feb 26, 2017 1:36 pm

A number of new-to-DVD RKO titles are on the slate for March, including a couple with Lee Tracy: Wanted! Jane Turner (1936) and Millionaires in Prison (1940) on 14 March, and the rest on the 28th: Smart Woman (1931), Ladies of the Jury (1932), The Richest Girl in the World (1934), Fight for Your Lady (1937) and A Girl in Every Port (1952).

Also, the titles in volume 2 of the Joan Crawford collection (Sadie McKee, Strange Cargo et al.) are being reissued as singles.

-HA
Offline
User avatar

Harold Aherne

  • Posts: 1647
  • Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:08 pm
  • Location: North Dakota

Re: Warner Archive for 2017

PostWed Aug 16, 2017 3:02 pm

Among the titles new to disc this month is Cross Fire (1933) with Tom Keene. Also, titles previously available only in the Katharine Hepburn and Powell-Loy sets from 2007 are being made available as singles.

Even bigger news is the "Porky Pig 101" collection which spans 1935-43, to be available 19 September. Also coming in September are Broadway Babies (1929), Playing Around (1930), Big Business Girl (1931), and Beauty for the Asking and Sorority House (both 1939).

-HA
Offline
User avatar

35MM

  • Posts: 336
  • Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:41 am

Re: Warner Archive for 2017

PostMon Aug 21, 2017 2:03 pm

I emailed customer service about the Porky Pig discs and they confirmed:

Thank you for contacting us!
According to the information I have the warehouse manager said Currently, Porky Pig 101 is a replicated (or pressed) DVD. But this will be only for the first batch so you you can pre-order right now for the first batch.
CURSES!
Offline
User avatar

Harlowgold

  • Posts: 402
  • Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:06 pm

Re: Warner Archive for 2017

PostTue Aug 22, 2017 12:11 pm

Does anyone know of any website or listing keeping one up to date on new archive releases from Universal or 20th Century-Fox, both of whom do a quite poor job of letting the public know what's available and what's coming.
Offline
User avatar

Harold Aherne

  • Posts: 1647
  • Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:08 pm
  • Location: North Dakota

Re: Warner Archive for 2017

PostTue Aug 22, 2017 4:12 pm

Harlowgold wrote:Does anyone know of any website or listing keeping one up to date on new archive releases from Universal or 20th Century-Fox, both of whom do a quite poor job of letting the public know what's available and what's coming.


Via Film Aficionado, here are the Universal Vault releases (missing Waikiki Wedding):
https://tinyurl.com/y9yu57ut

And the Fox releases:
https://tinyurl.com/y8c2crwz

They can be further restricted by release date, release year, etc.

-HA
Offline
User avatar

Harlowgold

  • Posts: 402
  • Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:06 pm

Re: Warner Archive for 2017

PostFri Aug 25, 2017 8:48 am

Harold Aherne wrote:
Harlowgold wrote:Does anyone know of any website or listing keeping one up to date on new archive releases from Universal or 20th Century-Fox, both of whom do a quite poor job of letting the public know what's available and what's coming.


Via Film Aficionado, here are the Universal Vault releases (missing Waikiki Wedding):
https://tinyurl.com/y9yu57ut

And the Fox releases:
https://tinyurl.com/y8c2crwz

They can be further restricted by release date, release year, etc.

-HA


Thanks so much for the info!!
Offline

R Michael Pyle

  • Posts: 1484
  • Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 1:10 pm

Re: Warner Archive for 2017

PostFri Aug 25, 2017 10:03 am

Yes, thank you.
Offline

Neptun

  • Posts: 3
  • Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:16 pm

Re: Warner Archive for 2017

PostMon Sep 04, 2017 9:30 am

Harlowgold wrote:Does anyone know of any website or listing keeping one up to date on new archive releases from Universal or 20th Century-Fox, both of whom do a quite poor job of letting the public know what's available and what's coming.


Universal and Fox needs to release more often, it's honestly pathetic that they don't care about their classic films. They should also change the DVD cover of the made on demand line because it's horrific and looks cheap. :(
Offline
User avatar

Jim Reid

  • Posts: 1506
  • Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:16 am
  • Location: Dallas, Texas

Re: Warner Archive for 2017

PostMon Sep 04, 2017 11:54 am

Neptun wrote:Universal and Fox needs to release more often, it's honestly pathetic that they don't care about their classic films. They should also change the DVD cover of the made on demand line because it's horrific and looks cheap. :(


Streaming has really cut into the DVD business. Add to that the fact that classic films are a microscopic part of that business. Just be thankful for what we are getting. You can always suggest titles to these companies but to attack them because you can't have everything you want in perfectly designed cases is unrealistic.
Offline
User avatar

Harlowgold

  • Posts: 402
  • Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:06 pm

Re: Warner Archive for 2017

PostTue Sep 05, 2017 4:06 pm

Jim Reid wrote:
Neptun wrote:Universal and Fox needs to release more often, it's honestly pathetic that they don't care about their classic films. They should also change the DVD cover of the made on demand line because it's horrific and looks cheap. :(


Streaming has really cut into the DVD business. Add to that the fact that classic films are a microscopic part of that business. Just be thankful for what we are getting. You can always suggest titles to these companies but to attack them because you can't have everything you want in perfectly designed cases is unrealistic.


While I agree with everything you say (other than the comment it is unrealistic for them to put out decent cover sleeves) the other poster is right as well. Fox and Universal have done virtually nothing to publicize their MOD lines and there is really no way to know what's coming and what's available unless you look for specific titles. He's also accurate about their less than caring attitude toward making a decent dvd cover, a lot of them are just clipped B&W pressbook ads. It would take no more effort to pull up a photograph of a color poster online or search their own archives, but they can't be bothered. Kelloggs just doesn't package Corn Flakes in a blank box marked cereal and what type it is, it doesn't seem much to expect major movie studios to put together decent looking dvd sleeves for product they are expecting to sell at $15-20 each.
Offline
User avatar

Harold Aherne

  • Posts: 1647
  • Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:08 pm
  • Location: North Dakota

Re: Warner Archive for 2017

PostThu Sep 28, 2017 8:21 pm

In addition to The Sea Wolf, Warners has a good slate of pre-1940s films up for October:

Wide Open (1930)
The Washington Masquerade (1932)
She Had to Say Yes (1933)
Stage Mother (1933)
Mary Jane's Pa/Going Highbrow/The Big Noise (1935-36) all w/Guy Kibbee
The Law in Her Hands/Here Comes Carter/Dance Charlie Dance (1936-37) all w/Glenda Farrell

-HA

Return to Talkie News

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests