Daredevils of The Red Circle coming on Blu-ray...

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

R. Cat

Daredevils of The Red Circle coming on Blu-ray...

PostWed Feb 01, 2017 12:38 pm

Before KINO-Lorber's release of The Adventures of Captain Marvel another of Republic's best chapter plays is promised as an upcoming Blu-ray. Currently listed for release on March 21, 2017, Daredevils... (1939) is one of the era's best. These will likely be sourced from 35mm fine grain prints or negatives, the Republic archives surviving in better shape than many studios of the era. Not a lot of promotion is accompanying these releases, but if they sell well, perhaps more cliffhanger chapter plays from Republic's 30's & 40's heyday will be acquired by KINO. Keep fingers crossed and eye's peeled.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Daredevil ... ay/163393/

BrianG

Re: Daredevils of The Red Circle coming on Blu-ray...

PostThu Feb 02, 2017 1:59 pm

I'm looking forward to the serial releases. I can still remember coming home from grade school in the mid-late 1950's and watching old serials after school on our 9-12" TV, including cartoon serials like Crusader Rabbit. While I remember Buck Rogers, Flash Gordon and King of the Rocket Men, I can't say that I remember this one (or Capt Marvel) but I still plan on purchasing these releases. I still regret not buying Buck and Flash when I had the chance.

Ray Faiola

PostSat Feb 04, 2017 4:00 am

This is great news. DAREDEVILS OF THE RED CIRCLE is an outstanding serial with a great cast, great action and an amazing musical score. Bravo to this release! What would be amazing is if they had the trailer available. This is one trailer that has not been seen in many decades.
Classic Film Scores on CD
http://www.chelsearialtostudios.com

R. Cat

PostSat Feb 04, 2017 1:51 pm

Ray Faiola wrote:This is great news. DAREDEVILS OF THE RED CIRCLE is an outstanding serial with a great cast, great action and an amazing musical score. Bravo to this release! What would be amazing is if they had the trailer available. This is one trailer that has not been seen in many decades.

Excellent point, Ray. That unsettling score was composed by William Lava who composed music for several rousing serials including Zorro's Fighting Legion. He would go on to create memorable scores for Warner animation and television series including westerns such as The Dakotas. Among his series compositions are the original themes for Gunsmoke and Cheyenne (the latter which he also sang).

Ray Faiola

PostThu Feb 09, 2017 1:10 pm

Here's Lava's "On the Run" from the original scoring sessions of DAREDEVILS OF THE RED CIRCLE:

http://www.chelsearialtostudios.com/on_the_run.mp3

R. Cat

PostMon Feb 20, 2017 2:15 am

Sorry about this digression from Daredevils..., but while waiting for more official release date info., Amazon listing or pre-release review to discuss, I thought it might be interesting to post an image of Jack Mathis' majestic labor of love Valley of The Cliffhangers...

For those unfamiliar with this a mammoth 448 page limited edition book, it was self-published by Mathis in 1975 and covers every serial Republic produced, complete with plot synopsis, cast listings and stills. A monumental achievement by retired advertising executive Mathis who was also a lifelong serial fan.

This thread will now return to regular programming. :D

Ray Faiola

PostTue Feb 21, 2017 6:33 am

Great book, don't read it on your lap!! You've heard of coffee table books? VALLEY OF THE CLIFFHANGERS is a coffee table!

There is a supplement volume and also two other incredible books by Mathis -REPUBLIC CONFIDENTIAL - THE STUDIO and THE PLAYERS.

R. Cat

PostThu Feb 23, 2017 1:59 am

Thanks, Ray. Okay, here we go...

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=20822

WOW!!!

Special Features:
NEW 4K master prepared by Paramount Pictures
Selected Episode Commentary by Film Historian Michael Schlesinger
Original Trailers
Optional English SDH subtitles

Release date of April 25. Definitely a first day purchase! Image

R. Cat

PostThu Mar 02, 2017 2:59 pm

Just noticed the price dropped on Amazon from $29.95 to $19.99! That looks like an awesome deal (while it lasts). If anyone knows of a better price, please share it. :D

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Daredevil ... ay/163393/

Ray Faiola

PostThu Mar 02, 2017 4:39 pm

When I did the play GUEST ARTIST with John Astin, I gave my bus company uniform the number 39013. Nobody got it. But why would they?

R. Cat

PostFri Mar 10, 2017 2:48 am

At some point we should see reviews from DVDBeaver, DVD Savant and others, hopefully prior to next month's release date (April 25th). While waiting for more news/reviews, here's another Chapter 1 lobby card from my collection...

lewcody1919

PostWed Mar 15, 2017 8:26 pm

Oh wow; this is so cool :) I'm excited

Jim Harwood

PostFri Mar 17, 2017 3:31 pm

Having worked on the nitrate elements for this serial, getting them into shape for scanning, I can tell you that the bulk of the serial sources from the nitrate original negatives. There was some backup elements used (fine grain, dupe negatives) for sequences and reels here and there, but the majority of the running time came from original negative.

I haven't seen the finished product myself, but it should look really nice!

R. Cat

PostFri Mar 17, 2017 5:25 pm

Jim Harwood wrote:Having worked on the nitrate elements for this serial, getting them into shape for scanning, I can tell you that the bulk of the serial sources from the nitrate original negatives. There was some backup elements used (fine grain, dupe negatives) for sequences and reels here and there, but the majority of the running time came from original negative.

I haven't seen the finished product myself, but it should look really nice!

Thanks for that update, Jim. Info from someone directly involved in the project should kick the enthusiasm up another notch.

When under-appreciated classics receive blue ribbon treatment it's an absolute delight. I can only imagine what this will look like maxed out on BD from the best surviving 35mm sources. As one of Republic's finest early chapter plays Daredevils of the Red Circle sets a high watermark from the first episode and never lets up. In high definition this should kill earlier DVD and DVD-R knock-offs copied from LD, videotape or well worn 16mm prints.

Charles Middleton

Although KINO-Lorber is promising only two classic Republic serials, Daredevils of the Red Circle and the equally awesome Adventures of Captain Marvel, ...who knows, if sales are brisk enough maybe we'll see more cliffhangers from Republic's golden era (1938-1949) licensed for home release on BD. That would be welcome news indeed!

Enthusiasm notwithstanding, I have absolutely no connection with Paramount, KINO or anyone marketing K-L releases. I'm just excited that someone has finally seen enough potential in these great Republic cliffhangers to gamble on licensing first rate 4K masters for the home market.

The preorder price seems reasonable enough for collectors to pick-up extra copies as gifts for friends and family who love epic adventure flicks. Bottom line, if you enjoy vintage serials this would be good time to vote with your dollars.

Return to Talkie News