"Wheeler & Woolsey" now an eBook

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

Ed Watz

"Wheeler & Woolsey" now an eBook

PostSun Feb 05, 2017 3:50 am

earlytalkiebuffRob

Re: "Wheeler & Woolsey" now an eBook

PostSun Feb 05, 2017 7:39 am

Was lucky enough to be given an imperfect copy by a fellow local bookseller. Despite some damage to the page edges, this was sorted out at a nearby stationer's and is now pretty presentable. A very useful and interesting book.

wingate

PostSun Feb 05, 2017 2:51 pm

Excellent book.sad the Woolsey died so young and Wheeler in perjury.The latter seemed to happen to many stars.My favourite film of theirs is Diplomaniacs.

Spiny Norman

PostSun Feb 05, 2017 4:51 pm

Oh, nice. Did you hear the audio of Oh Oh Cleopatra by the way?
This is nøt å signåture.™

Ed Watz

PostMon Feb 06, 2017 2:42 am

Spiny Norman wrote:Oh, nice. Did you hear the audio of Oh Oh Cleopatra by the way?

Thanks, I've owned that soundtrack for many years. You can read all about OH! OH! CLEOPATRA in my book. :wink:

Spiny Norman

PostMon Feb 06, 2017 5:48 am

Ed Watz wrote:You can read all about OH! OH! CLEOPATRA in my book.
Excuse me but wasn't that a film that you didn't really write much about - for the very good reason that it was not available (and still isn't despite its possible recovery)? Or am I mixing up two books here?

westegg

PostMon Feb 06, 2017 6:18 am

wingate wrote:Excellent book.sad the Woolsey died so young and Wheeler in perjury.The latter seemed to happen to many stars.My favourite film of theirs is Diplomaniacs.

Sorry to nitpick, but I assume you meant penury.

silentfilm

PostMon Feb 06, 2017 12:05 pm

Ed's book is terrific. I had only seen one W&W before I had read it. Now I've seen about half of their films.

And a side benefit of Nitrateville is expanding your vocabulary (as I quickly google "penury"...).

Ed Watz

PostMon Feb 06, 2017 12:33 pm

Spiny Norman wrote:
Excuse me but wasn't that a film that you didn't really write much about - for the very good reason that it was not available (and still isn't despite its possible recovery)? Or am I mixing up two books here?

The chapter on CLEO is three pages long, but you must remember the film is only a two-reeler. I'll be more than happy to scan the chapter for you, if you just send me an email address and your real name - thanks!

Ed Watz

PostMon Feb 06, 2017 12:47 pm

silentfilm wrote:Ed's book is terrific. I had only seen one W&W before I had read it. Now I've seen about half of their films.

And a side benefit of Nitrateville is expanding your vocabulary (as I quickly google "penury"...).

Thanks, Bruce! I hope you got to see the half of their films that are good - and not too many of the other half!

The word "penury" always makes me think of the 1960s documentary about the Essanay Studios, WHEN CHICAGO WAS HOLLYWOOD. At one point a retired Essanay employee searches for the right word to describe Charlie Chaplin, with whom he became acquainted while Chaplin was filming HIS NEW JOB in Chicago. Finally he finds the carefully chosen word -- "Penurious" -- for the $1250-a-week comedian who had also just received a $10,000 bonus.

Spiny Norman

PostMon Feb 06, 2017 1:57 pm

Ed Watz wrote:
Spiny Norman wrote:

The chapter on CLEO is three pages long, but you must remember the film is only a two-reeler. I'll be more than happy to scan the chapter for you, if you just send me an email address and your real name - thanks!
Perhaps I remember it as shorter than it was; I will have another look later. I should have a copy somewhere, but thanks for the offer!

s.w.a.c.

PostTue Feb 07, 2017 8:52 am

Ed Watz wrote:The word "penury" always makes me think of the 1960s documentary about the Essanay Studios, WHEN CHICAGO WAS HOLLYWOOD.

Wow, I'd like to see this, is it available anywhere?
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

Ed Watz

PostTue Feb 07, 2017 3:24 pm

s.w.a.c. wrote:
Ed Watz wrote:The word "penury" always makes me think of the 1960s documentary about the Essanay Studios, WHEN CHICAGO WAS HOLLYWOOD.

Wow, I'd like to see this, is it available anywhere?

I bought a vhs of the program at Eddie Brandt's about 30 years ago. I just checked online but unfortunately it doesn't appear to be available from any dealer. It doesn't seem to have had an official home video release, either. Among other films, there were clips from Chaplin's HIS NEW JOB, Max Linder's MAX WANTS A DIVORCE, and some very splicy footage of Ben Turpin, I believe from AN AWFUL SKATE. All of the former employees interviewed thought highly of George K. Spoor, but there's little mention of Broncho Billy Anderson, probably because he was making his films out west and not in the Chicago studio.

You may want to contact Grapevine Video on the chance they might have it. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Return to Talkie News