IMDB Message Board

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

The Blackbird

IMDB Message Board

PostMon Feb 06, 2017 7:17 pm

Shutting down February 20th...

boblipton

Re: IMDB Message Board

PostMon Feb 06, 2017 7:21 pm

I have contributed to the IMDB boards, particularly when I can answer a question in the "I Need to Know" section. At the moment, though, it's overwhelmed with rude, paranoid commentary and people talking about their use of mainstream movies for masturbatory fantasies.

Perhaps more of those who have real questions will migrate here.

Bob
His plagiarism was limited only by his faulty technique.

-- Peter Schickele

Harlowgold

PostTue Feb 07, 2017 1:05 pm

I can't believe it's taken IMDb this long to shut them down given some of the slanderous crap that's been posted there - not only about celebrities but other IMDb posters. It's long been a literal bully pulpit and it's always my last resort when I want to post about a favorite film or star (inevitably someone will try to pick a fight over nothing).

Wm. Charles Morrow

PostThu Feb 09, 2017 6:17 pm

I was startled by this news at first, then suddenly realized that in recent years I visit the IMDb boards very seldom. There was a time when I enjoyed it, especially when someone would post a Photo I.D. contest at the Classic Film Board, but those days seem to be long gone. The trolls have taken over.

That said, I do still visit the message board for an individual movie, usually right after seeing it, especially if I found some aspect of it confusing, strange or ambiguous. ("Did anyone else feel the same way?") I'll miss that, but I won't miss the trolls.
-- Charlie Morrow

Spiny Norman

PostFri Feb 10, 2017 5:02 am

In general I find "but the trolls" not really a good argument to shut down, or condemn anything. I hadn't been there a lot recently, but you could make the same argument about pretty much anything/anyone, including many elected politicians, and perhaps even about this place! ;)
This is nøt å signåture.™

drednm

PostFri Feb 10, 2017 8:41 am

No moderation ultimately killed it. There's a certain individual who has plastered his FOR SALE ads all over the message boards. Shills and trolls and crude comments were, apparently, too much for IMDb to keep up with. Oh well.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
http://www.amazon.com/Edward-Lorusso/e/ ... 203&sr=8-1

momsne

PostSat Feb 11, 2017 10:40 am

Until seeing this posting on the message boards demise, I never even went there, so I have no bias one way or another, for or against. The operative word I think applies here is "monetize". IMDb corporate figures why spend money on this website free feature. Unlike me, thousands of visitors to IMDb would go to the message boards. Now, IMDb advises them to use Facebook. Google groups movie sites like alt.silents are also pretty much gone, their users migrating elsewhere. Facebook seems to be taking over where it can.

MaryGH

PostSat Feb 11, 2017 12:38 pm

I've contributed to the IMDB boards for years and am kind of sorry to see them go but yes, as Drednm said, lack of moderation was a problem unfortunately.
Petition: Turner Enter./Warner Bros: Please digitalize Tom Tyler's FBO silent film westerns

http://bit.ly/2ueCvHe
---
Aventuras de Tom Tyler

http://triggertomblog.blogspot.com/

sepiatone

PostSun Feb 12, 2017 6:01 pm

I generally liked the IMDb message boards and was a lot of fun back in around 2007-2008 when many thought Joss Whedon was gonna do the Wonder Woman movie. The 'Boards'' are a remnant of the early years of the online community, similar to the CBS running chats the night after a reality show broadcast like "Survivor" or "The Amazing Race". But as with those chats, IMDb probably thinks a lot of bandwith is being wasted with people generally trying to 'hook-up' on their boards. Too much of 'how old are you', 'where do you live' , etc. I guess thats what Facebook's for. People generally run out of things to say or discuss about a tv show or movie and it goes off track. There was a guy called 'Alfred-the-butler' back in the day on those CBS chats and he was hilarious but I digress. Thanks for the look back down memory lane as far as those boards.

The Blackbird

PostTue Feb 14, 2017 7:23 am

But will F Gwynplaine MacIntyre's phony reviews continue to stand unchallenged and falsely inform the unwary that several lost films are still around?

I had noticed the boards had also recently become soapboxes for the PC-militants to decry every movie they felt to be "inapropriate." Peter Sellers' spoof on Charlie Chan in MURDER BY DEATH had one gentleman thundering that this movie was "disrespectful to the Chinese community!" Perhaps the limit was reached when somebody, after viewing something as recent as STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS, noticed there were no prominent Asian roles to be seen in the film and then proceeded to label the movie as "racist..." and he WASN'T kidding.... How much further was this going to go?

R Michael Pyle

PostTue Feb 14, 2017 8:11 am

The Blackbird wrote:But will F Gwynplaine MacIntyre's phony reviews continue to stand unchallenged and falsely inform the unwary that several lost films are still around?

I had noticed the boards had also recently become soapboxes for the PC-militants to decry every movie they felt to be "inapropriate." Peter Sellers' spoof on Charlie Chan in MURDER BY DEATH had one gentleman thundering that this movie was "disrespectful to the Chinese community!" Perhaps the limit was reached when somebody, after viewing something as recent as STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS, noticed there were no prominent Asian roles to be seen in the film and then proceeded to label the movie as "racist..." and he WASN'T kidding.... How much further was this going to go?

Well, the fact that Gwynnie was dug up a couple of weeks ago and found to be still alive probably has the IMDb fearing reprisals in court from him for not allowing him to post by telepathy while he rested in/as dirt. That's the genuine reason for the demise of the board. Threats about racism were minor compared to threats regarding his ability at genuine telepathy - at least that's what my lawyer, Ewe R. There, intimates. And when he intimates, he intimates...

boblipton

PostTue Feb 14, 2017 8:28 am

I have not tracked them, but In the past couple of weeks I have noticed several people starting threads about Felicity Jones' bath water.

Bob

-- Peter Schickele

wich2

PostTue Feb 14, 2017 8:59 am

I'm not easily offended, but...

EEEEEWWWWW!

R Michael Pyle

PostTue Feb 14, 2017 9:19 am

wich2 wrote:I'm not easily offended, but...

I'm not either, but I think this thread's a tad bloated, and even Gas-X extra strength won't relieve it...

The Blackbird

PostWed Feb 15, 2017 5:15 am

Zombie-MacIntyre should apply for Michael Flynn's job, he'd fit right in with that gang. :lol:

Wm. Charles Morrow

PostSun Feb 19, 2017 7:54 pm

The message boards are gone now. Looks like they weren't kidding.
-- Charlie Morrow

westegg

PostMon Feb 20, 2017 7:04 am

I liked the boards for casually reading comments, while ignoring the idiots.There was always something worthwhile to read. Basic moderation could have kept it afloat.

:x

sepiatone

PostWed Feb 22, 2017 9:18 am

It could be brought back, albeit with moderators of course. Fingers crossed but don't hold your breath. :|

MaryGH

PostWed Feb 22, 2017 7:43 pm

sepiatone wrote:It could be brought back, albeit with moderators of course. Fingers crossed but don't hold your breath. :|

What I am wondering is, if they were to do that, if it would be a paid position or volunteer basis.

Five or six years ago I was inquiring into one of their tech positions and communicated with someone there, it seemed like a nice idea at the time but living in the States, just wasn't feasible.
Petition: Turner Enter./Warner Bros: Please digitalize Tom Tyler's FBO silent film westerns

---
Aventuras de Tom Tyler

telical

PostSun Feb 26, 2017 10:38 pm

I consider these kinds of things a breech of trust of corporations. It's been done several times before on the Internet. This is what the whole Bitcoin/blockchain science is about, creating decentralized hubs of information that cannot be taken down because they are not centered in a corporation. The ledger of Bitcoin is distributed by "mining" like the way Napster circulated music. There are over 500 other cryptocurrencies like Synereo, Golem, Ethereum, Augur, that do similar things.
Synereo is call the Facebook Killer because it hopes to be a decentralized Facebook type app..

boblipton

PostMon Feb 27, 2017 1:24 pm

Indeed, it is a trust of breach of the corporations, since there is no place else for people interested in film to gather on the Internet. We are entitled to unlimited free ice cream.

If anyone hears of a site on the Internet where film fans can gather to talk about their hobby, please let me know.

Bob

-- Peter Schickele

MaryGH

PostMon Feb 27, 2017 7:33 pm

boblipton wrote:Indeed, it is a trust of breach of the corporations, since there is no place else for people interested in film to gather on the Internet. We are entitled to unlimited free ice cream.

If anyone hears of a site on the Internet where film fans can gather to talk about their hobby, please let me know.

Bob

There's the Blu-Ray forums. I am across them by accident last year. Lots of sub-forums there for film not just blu-ray.

---
Aventuras de Tom Tyler

Jim Roots

PostTue Feb 28, 2017 7:10 am

MaryGH wrote:
boblipton wrote:Indeed, it is a trust of breach of the corporations, since there is no place else for people interested in film to gather on the Internet. We are entitled to unlimited free ice cream.

Bob

There's the Blu-Ray forums. I am across them by accident last year. Lots of sub-forums there for film not just blu-ray.

Uh, Bob was being sarcastic. We're discussing this issue in a site on the Internet where film fans can gather to talk about their hobby -- i.e., NitrateVille.

Jim

telical

PostTue Feb 28, 2017 11:36 pm

Wow, what a >great< sense of humor.

boblipton

PostWed Mar 01, 2017 4:56 am

An ill-favored thing, sir, but mine own.

Bob

-- Peter Schickele

Jim Roots

PostWed Mar 01, 2017 6:47 am

boblipton wrote:An ill-favored thing, sir, but mine own.

Bob

Don't worry, Bob, nobody's planning to steal it.

Jim

MaryGH

PostWed Mar 01, 2017 9:19 am

Haha, now I get Bob's joke

:lol:

---
Aventuras de Tom Tyler

Harlowgold

PostFri Mar 03, 2017 3:01 pm

The boards were dropped with the ridiculous explanation it was to "better serve" the members of IMDb or something like that. What point is there to actually logging into IMDb as a member if you are not going to post on the message boards - unless perhaps you want to write a movie review which IMDb likely has the rights to resell to another website and of course the writer will not be paid at any point.

silentfilm

PostWed Mar 08, 2017 12:48 pm

You can still use the IMDB to keep track of the movies that you have seen, and your ratings of these films.

Return to Talkie News