Warning About New Murders In The Rue Morgue Blu-ray

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

bigshot

Warning About New Murders In The Rue Morgue Blu-ray

PostMon Feb 13, 2017 7:56 am

I just received the French blu-ray of Murders in the Rue Morgue produced by Elephant Films. The transfer is excellent. I've never seen the film look better. Unfortunately, they appear to have used a late 1940s reissue print which has been "sweetened" with needle drop stock music added to make the primitive early sound seem more contemporary to 40s audiences. The music crops up at five or six points in the picture and is clumsily edited and mixed, drowning out important dialogue. I've contacted Elephant Films to ask if they plan to correct this. If not, I'll be reluctantly returning it. It's sad, because it's a great film and it looks amazing on blu-ray.

bigshot

Re: Warning About New Murders In The Rue Morgue Blu-ray

PostTue Feb 14, 2017 11:03 pm

I just sent this video to Elephant Films through their Facebook page. I hope they will be able to take this soundtrack ( I think it's from the Lugosi collection DVD) and put it on the blu-ray and issue replacement discs. Check out 14 minutes in when Lugosi kidnaps Arlene Francis. No music. It sounds like the silent segments of Dracula. http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x22c4o ... shortfilms

Ray Faiola

PostWed Feb 15, 2017 7:03 am

Wow, I'd actually love to see this. Were there any alternate titles or logos?
Classic Film Scores on CD
http://www.chelsearialtostudios.com

s.w.a.c.

PostWed Feb 15, 2017 9:21 am

Years ago, Video Watchdog suggested a re-edit of the film that might make it closer to Florey's original intentions. I've always been curious about whether or not their alterations would improve it or not. (I like it just fine the way it is, but the idea of an alternate cut was intriguing.)
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

Ray Faiola

PostWed Feb 15, 2017 10:23 am

Actually, the 16mm print I bought came from a friend who did the re-edit. It was interesting, but I restored the film to its original form. Doing it on video would be much easier since you don't have to deal with the advance tracks.
Classic Film Scores on CD
http://www.chelsearialtostudios.com

bigshot

PostWed Feb 15, 2017 11:32 am

Elephant Films responded to my question. They recognize the problem now and they are in contact with Universal to find out if they can get the proper soundtrack. Maybe they will do replacement discs. I sure hope so, because the film transfer on this is stunning. Incredible to see those wild sets in HD.

No alternate titles or logos on the picture.

Mark Zimmer

PostTue Feb 21, 2017 3:09 pm

Good work, Bigshot!

bigshot

PostWed Feb 22, 2017 12:57 am

I just heard from Elephant Films. They say that they are in touch with Universal, who are pulling three different sets of elements to determine if there is a correct soundtrack to remaster the blu-ray. But they admit it will take some time. It isn't going to happen fast. I'm afraid my copy is going to have to go back to Amazon.fr

Return to Talkie News