Bill Paxton Dead at 61

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

boblipton

Bill Paxton Dead at 61

PostSun Feb 26, 2017 2:20 pm

A dependable and solid screen presence. The first time I noticed him was in Weird Science.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/26/arts ... -well&_r=0

Bob
Film is not the art of scholars, but of illiterates.

-- Werner Herzog

Harlowgold

Re: Bill Paxton Dead at 61

PostSun Feb 26, 2017 3:17 pm

Shocking and sad news, especially because his career never quite reached his full potential. He was usually much better than his films. He always reminded me of a more earthy, "good ole boy" Jeff Bridges.

All Darc

PostMon Feb 27, 2017 10:00 am

Maybe actual films wasn't up to for hin show all talent.

I can't stop imagine if he was victm of some medical error, like Joan Rivers.

RIP Bill
Keep thinking...

Daniel Eagan

PostMon Feb 27, 2017 12:13 pm

I liked Paxton in things like Terminator, but I loved him in Aliens and especially One False Move. I know in interviews he expressed some disappointment about his career, but he had a major role in Apollo 13, led the cast of an HBO series, produced the feature Traveller and directed Frailty, and was a star of the current Training Day TV series.

More important, he was widely liked and admired in the industry, had been married to his sweetheart for over 30 years, and was a notably polite and friendly celebrity.

s.w.a.c.

PostTue Feb 28, 2017 12:10 pm

Just listened to an in-depth and wide-ranging conversation with Bill Paxton on the WTF With Marc Maron podcast that was recorded only a week or two ago. Aside from some eerie pieces of conversation (he talks about how you should never go into the hospital on a weekend, yikes), there's some fascinating stuff about seeing JFK in person the day before the assassination, and talking about how he was working a mining job out west when he picked up a copy of Rudi Blesh's Buster Keaton biography, and was inspired to start making films of his own after watching some Blackhawk Films prints at his local library.

The Paxton portion starts at 25:25.
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

Harlowgold

PostFri Mar 03, 2017 3:16 pm

s.w.a.c. wrote:Just listened to an in-depth and wide-ranging conversation with Bill Paxton on the WTF With Marc Maron podcast that was recorded only a week or two ago. Aside from some eerie pieces of conversation (he talks about how you should never go into the hospital on a weekend, yikes), there's some fascinating stuff about seeing JFK in person the day before the assassination, and talking about how he was working a mining job out west when he picked up a copy of Rudi Blesh's Buster Keaton biography, and was inspired to start making films of his own after watching some Blackhawk Films prints at his local library.

The Paxton portion starts at 25:25.

That is so wonderful to hear a "star" with an appreciation for Blackhawk - I haven't heard of any other Hollywood folks mentioning them before.

missdupont

PostFri Mar 03, 2017 8:26 pm

He often attended the Silent Movie Theatre in LA when Charlie Lustman owned it. A friend of mine who worked as the theatre manager wrote on FB that he often attended Keaton silents, but other silents as well.

Return to Talkie News