Universal Studios Demolishing Much of its Backlot

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

brendangcarroll

Universal Studios Demolishing Much of its Backlot

PostTue Mar 21, 2017 9:55 am

Some sad news from another forum I frequent....

"So far, stages 22-28 are gone to make way for extending the theme park. I have it on good authority, at least 13 stages are to be demolished.

So far, two new 18,000 sq. foot stages have been built on the back lot. When the recent torrential rains hit, the roofs on these new stages leaked!

The big lake where the 'Red Sea' parts will be filled in with several new stages built, depending on whether or not Los Angeles gets the Olympic Games. If not, few new ones will be constructed.

Most of the stages are rented out to either commercials or reality TV. The Voice takes up huge stage 12 which is also scheduled for demolition.

Studio exec Ron Meyer lamented the fact that no features use the lot because filming in California has now become too expensive....."

The writing was on the wall when they bulldozed the historic Phantom of the Opera stage...an act of cultural vandalism that beggared belief.

Well, in another 50 years guys it will all be over, and what ever is left of old Hollywood will be gone forever. I believe only Warner Brothers Burbank Studios seems to be resisting the wrecking ball....but for how much longer?

Sad, sad, sad.
"Korngold has so much talent he could give half away and still have enough left for himself..." Giacomo Puccini (1921)

missdupont

Re: Universal Studios Demolishing Much of its Backlot

PostTue Mar 21, 2017 5:14 pm

None of this is new; it was part of their 25 year master plan approved by the city of Los Angeles three years ago, in which the public had months, if not a year to respond to. All studios have to evolve; Paramount had their new 25 year master plan approved last year, and Fox will be announcing one soon.

brendangcarroll

PostWed Mar 22, 2017 12:44 am

As an English member here and a firm believer in the conservation of Hollywood's wonderful but rapidly diminshing film heritage, I had no say in any such "master plan" and in any case, I do not believe that because such a thing exists, it makes this right.

Here in England, Pinewood Studios has also evolved over 80 years but it has not domolished its heritage stages and fine old buildings nor sold land off for real estate, nor has it destroyed its archives and sent the materials for landfill.

And I can assure you that Buckinghamshire is a very valuable piece of real estate.

I have always thought Los Angeles had a "throw away" mentality to its architectural heritage, which explains why so little of it is left.

Universal Studios, the oldest film studio iin the world, should have been protected better by the city authorities, not by relying on objections from the local population.
"Korngold has so much talent he could give half away and still have enough left for himself..." Giacomo Puccini (1921)

Donald Binks

PostWed Mar 22, 2017 1:50 pm

I read that when the "Phantom" stage was demolished, Universal had plans to re-build somewhere else, the set contained therein of the Paris Opera. Is there any news of this happening?
Regards from
Donald Binks

"I was in love with a beautiful blonde one time. She led me to drink. It's the only thing I'm thankful to her for."

missdupont

PostWed Mar 22, 2017 5:10 pm

They didn't have plans to rebuild, but they carefully boxed it up for anyone who wants to take it. I think they offered it to AMPAS for the Museum, so it is in storage at least.

Return to Talkie News