Welcome Danger on The Criterion Channel

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

buskeat

Welcome Danger on The Criterion Channel

PostFri Apr 07, 2017 10:43 am

Filmstruck's The Criterion Collection has posted Welcome Danger today!

https://watch.filmstruck.com/#!/detail/1300007236

For those of you that are subscribers, I thought this would be of interest, especially since the film wasn't included on the New Line set in 2005. Hopefully, the Criterion Collection will have its Lloyd Talkie Boxset out within a few months.

jcp7701

Re: Welcome Danger on The Criterion Channel

PostSun Apr 16, 2017 12:15 am

Watched it again last summer, and enjoyed it more than I originally had more than a decade ago. I recall lots of criticism when it was discussed here several years ago. I can see that it was a let-down after The Kid Brother and Speedy, but it was interesting to see the integration of the silent sequences into various parts of the film, and there are several instances of scenes which have a silent feeling to them, and they were not part of the dubbed sequences, either. Pretty solid for a mid-1929 talkie--certainly much better than the patched-together stuff that MGM was unleashing upon the public at that time. Also, mainly respectful to Lloyd's silent era character even if he's bossy and rude. Well, at least he isn't as dumb and helpless as he was in some of his later films (and which also occurred to Keaton's sound character as I seem to recall).

sethb

Re: Welcome Danger on The Criterion Channel

PostSun Apr 16, 2017 11:40 am

I believe that the "dumb and helpless" situations were more the result of incompetent writers who didn't really understand the characters, than the added factor of sound and the now-required dialogue.

The same thing that happened to Keaton at MGM happened to Laurel & Hardy at Fox in the 1940's. A tremendous waste of great comic talent in both cases. And L & H had adapted to sound just fine, as their early Roach talkies and later 1930's sound features demonstrate.

Of course, Lloyd was producing and directing his own films, so the responsibility lies with him alone. But it seems that with the change in national mood from the carefree Twenties to the grim Thirties, Lloyd's Horatio Alger-type "glasses" character was becoming irrelevant, and Lloyd was unsure of what subsequent path to take. SETH
"Novelty is always welcome, but talking pictures are just a fad." -- Irving Thalberg
"Who the hell wants to hear actors talk ?" -- Harry Warner

Return to Talkie News