A Countess From Hong Kong

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

Bob Furem

A Countess From Hong Kong

PostMon Apr 10, 2017 3:28 pm

For years, I have coveted a DVD of the 120 minute original version of ACFHK. Please, no snarky queries asking why. I happen to like this film. Today, I found such a DVD on Amazon UK released by Universal, as opposed to the 108 minute version I own. However, I am suspicious. Can anyone verify that this is truly the 120 minute version. Thanks.

busby1959

Re: A Countess From Hong Kong

PostMon Apr 10, 2017 5:20 pm

Bob Furem wrote:For years, I have coveted a DVD of the 120 minute original version of ACFHK. Please, no snarky queries asking why. I happen to like this film. Today, I found such a DVD on Amazon UK released by Universal, as opposed to the 108 minute version I own. However, I am suspicious. Can anyone verify that this is truly the 120 minute version. Thanks.

Interesting that you mentioned this movie. I'm reading Tippi Hedren's autobiography and I'd forgotten she was in COUNTESS. I haven't seen it in ages...I would like to get my hands on the 120 minute version myself.

Bob Furem

PostMon Apr 10, 2017 6:59 pm

I can find no verification that this DVD is 120 minutes. Moreover, it appears to be in 4x3, so I hold out little hope it is the complete version. As I recall, ACFHK premiered at 120 minutes, was cut by six minutes for European release, and another six minutes for U.S. release. This is the only version I know. Loren is quite fond of it and I think it is nowhere near the utter disaster most claim it to be. It has its charms...and flaws.

earlytalkiebuffRob

PostTue Apr 11, 2017 1:45 am

If you buy the film and time it (taking into account TV speed) then find it lacking, there is cause for redress. Must admit I didn't know it had been cut. And maybe have a look at the other releases from the company in case they're making claims for other films...

David Menefee

PostTue Apr 11, 2017 3:55 pm

http://ffilms.org/a-countess-from-hong-kong-1967/" target="_blank

The film is online for free viewing anytime at the above link. Running time is shown as 1:47:59.

Return to Talkie News