Great new movie book . . . .

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

sethb

Great new movie book . . . .

PostWed Apr 12, 2017 6:16 pm

I recently bought "The Art of the Hollywood Backdrop," which is of course a pictorial history of the hand-painted Hollywood backdrop. Go to www.amazon.com/Art-Hollywood-Backdrop-Karen-Maness to view.

Anyone who loves movies will LOVE this book. In addition to being a wonderful "peek behind the curtain" at the how and why of backdrops, it's also a fascinating look at Hollywood's Golden Age, with tons of rare and probably previously unpublished photos and other material about some of Hollywood's unsung and often unknown craftspeople.

The book retails for $100 and sells for $62 on Amazon. It is a top quality hardcover, with a library binding and good quality paper, all in a heavy-duty slipcase. Definitely well worth the bucks! Just know that it is an oversize book and probably won't fit in your bookcase, but don't leave it out on the coffee table, it's too good for that! SETH
"Novelty is always welcome, but talking pictures are just a fad." -- Irving Thalberg
"Who the hell wants to hear actors talk ?" -- Harry Warner

Paul Penna

Re: Great new movie book . . . .

PostWed Apr 12, 2017 6:44 pm

Your link didn't work. This one should:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/194139308X/

sethb

PostThu Apr 13, 2017 9:43 am

Thanks, Paul, for fixing the link. SETH
"Novelty is always welcome, but talking pictures are just a fad." -- Irving Thalberg

bigshot

PostThu Apr 13, 2017 10:56 am

Thanks, I ordered that. I've always been a fan of this sort of thing... the backdrops in natural history museum dioramas too. I look forward to this book.

George O'Brien

PostSun Apr 16, 2017 2:08 pm

Thank you, SethB, for posting this.
"This bar of likker is now a bar of justice!"

bigshot

PostSun Apr 16, 2017 6:43 pm

I received this book from Amazon yesterday. thanks for the tip! It's great. Nice big pictures. Just what I wanted.

Paul Penna

PostSun Apr 16, 2017 8:39 pm

bigshot wrote:I received this book from Amazon yesterday. thanks for the tip! It's great. Nice big pictures. Just what I wanted.

Me too. Ditto.

sethb

PostTue Apr 18, 2017 5:11 pm

Glad I could pass it on, and glad you liked it. It's always amazing what you find when you're not looking for something! SETH

bigshot

PostWed Apr 19, 2017 4:09 pm

Has anyone seen the book on Art Direction? Is that as good?

sethb

PostWed Apr 19, 2017 6:45 pm

I have not seen the book, but some of the comments on Amazon seem to indicate that it's mostly pictures and not too much text --- not enough text, in some readers' opinions. Whether that's good or bad, especially with a book about art direction, is hard to say. But some folks were looking for more information than was apparently provided in the book.

I guess you could always order the book and then return it if you didn't care for it, but the shipping charges both ways probably could amount to a fair portion of the purchase price. SETH

Paul Penna

PostWed Apr 19, 2017 7:22 pm

sethb wrote:I have not seen the book, but some of the comments on Amazon seem to indicate that it's mostly pictures and not too much text --- not enough text, in some readers' opinions...

Boo hoo. Could they not tell from the description that it was a huge, heavy book, and not one you could comfortably rest in your lap to pore over lengthy text? That instead, its size allowed for reproduction of large photographs and illustrations, the kind you'd leaf through while the book was resting on, oh, I don't know, a coffee table, perhaps?

Return to Talkie News