2 Film Discoveries Worth Noting: Alice White and Billie Dove

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

drednm

2 Film Discoveries Worth Noting: Alice White and Billie Dove

PostThu Apr 13, 2017 12:58 pm

From Ron Hutchinson on Facebook:

It's always great when I can announce a "lost" film discovery, and today I can announce TWO!

First, Alice White's second starring feature, NAUGHTY BABY ('28) which had a Vitaphone music and sound effects track, has been found by our friend and author James Layton. You'll recall that three years ago, Alice's lost first starring feature, SHOW GIRL ('28) was found in Italy, and has been restored with its Vitaphone track. Warner Bros still needs to complete some work on re-doing the Italian inserts (headlines, business cards, notes, etc.) before it is again screened. I was able to show it at Film Forum last year and it is a fun film with a great peppy soundtrack of pop dance tunes. James now works at MOMA's film vaults in Pennsylvania, and noticed the NAUGHTY BABY title. So while technically not lost, it has been hiding and unknown for over 8 decades. Art Pierce has announced that Capitolfest will be screening NAUGHTY BABY with live piano accompaniment on August 12th (will post link in comments below). Meanwhile, The Vitaphone Project will be working with MOMA and Warner Bros to ultimately get the film re-synched with the surviving full set of Vitaphone disks!

The second discovery, 1929's First National feature CAREERS ('29) starring Billie Dove, has been found in Italy and again all of its Vitaphone disks survive. We are working with the involved parties to also get this film wedded to it's soundtrack disks.

Stay tuned on both fronts!
Last edited by drednm on Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
http://www.amazon.com/Edward-Lorusso/e/ ... 203&sr=8-1

busby1959

Re: 2 Discoveries Worth Noting....

PostThu Apr 13, 2017 2:32 pm

Finding any Billie Dove movie is a cause for celebration! Thanks for the information.

drednm

Re: 2 Discoveries Worth Noting....

PostThu Apr 13, 2017 2:36 pm

busby1959 wrote:Finding any Billie Dove movie is a cause for celebration! Thanks for the information.

Sounds good to me as a fan of Alice White. It's all good!
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
http://www.amazon.com/Edward-Lorusso/e/ ... 203&sr=8-1

mwalls

Re: 2 Film Discoveries Worth Noting: Alice White and Billie

PostThu Apr 13, 2017 4:49 pm

News of found films is always the best of news.

Matthew

silentfilm

PostThu Apr 13, 2017 9:37 pm

Antonio Moreno and Billie Dove in Careers (1929).

s.w.a.c.

PostFri Apr 14, 2017 11:07 pm

Alice with George E. Stone, Benny Rubin and Andy Devine ... I can't wait to see this!
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

s.w.a.c.

PostFri Apr 14, 2017 11:08 pm

Alice has some stiff competition in Thelma Todd...

s.w.a.c.

PostFri Apr 14, 2017 11:11 pm

THE SCREEN
By MORDAUNT HALL.
Published: February 5, 1929

When it is said that the title of the present pictorial offering of the Mark Strand is "Naughty Baby," it gives one a foggy notion of the subtleties and depths to be anticipated in the narrative. Let it be added, however, that this picture is elaborately produced and well photographed.

Rosalind McGill, the heroine, is a baby-faced blonde who has aspirations to wed wealth. At the opening of the yarn she is occupied at the humble work of checking hats in a hotel. She has three peculiarly rowdy young men, named Joe, Izzy and Tony, who are devoted to her and they are only too eager to help her in her schemes.

When the check-room business permits. Rosalind delights to pose as a woman of means. She borrows one of the fur coats entrusted to her keeping and attracts the attention of Terry Vandeveer of Boston. Later she encounters Mr. Vandeveer, who is worth from six to eight millions, while she is at Long Beach. One of her three musketeers has loaned her an attractive bathing suit, a garment that is not intended to be used in the sea. But Rosalind, while skipping over the sands with Terry, decides to risk going into the water. She swims some distance out, esc orted by Terry, when suddenly something disastrous happens and it would seem that she has virtually no alternative but to keep on swimming. The life-savers, however, believe that a tragedy is about to happen and so they launch the boat and Rosalind is brought ashore clad in an overcoat. Her picture is published in a tabloid paper and Terry receives credit for rescuing her.

Rosalind still decides to pose as a society girl. She instructs Joe, Izzy and Tony to get her a horse and then invites Terry to meet her in the park. She does not want to ride the horse, but through Terry's insistence she is bound to do so and therefore she has a most exciting quarter of an hour, after which she is thrown from her pony.

She arranges other escapades to impress Terry, who appears to be so fascinated by Rosalind that all this young woman's plotting seems unnecessary. And in the end there is a glimpse of an interior of a church, where the millionaire and Rosalind are being made husband and wife.

Alice White is vivacious as Rosalind. Jack Mulhall, shows that he can swim and ride. He impersonates Terry Vandeveer. Benny Rubin, Andy Devine and George Stone are seen as the three musketeers.

A somewhat feeble attempt at a short Vitaphone drama is on the surrounding program. It is called "The Death Ship," and Mitchell Lewis, Jason Robards and Elizabeth Page are the participants.

The Blond Schemer.
NAUGHTY BABY, with Alice White, Jack Mulhall, Jay Eaton, Thelma Todd, Doris Dawson, Fred Kelsey, Rose Dione, Benny Rubin, Andy Devine, George Stone and Raymond, Turner, directed by Mervyn Leroy; Fox Movietone news; Vitaphone subjects, including "The Melody Girl," with Jane Green; "The Death Ship," with Mitchell Lewis, and Gene Morgan and his orchestra. At the Mark Strand.

FrankFay

PostSat Apr 15, 2017 1:02 pm

Will be particularly interesting to see a young Andy Devine.
Eric Stott

s.w.a.c.

PostSat Apr 15, 2017 3:29 pm

FrankFay wrote:Will be particularly interesting to see a young Andy Devine.

Among other things...

s.w.a.c.

PostSat Apr 15, 2017 3:30 pm

rockynelson

PostSun Apr 16, 2017 8:10 am

WOW this is wonderful news! I've always wanted to see Naughty Baby. I'm obsessed with Alice White. I think she is a very underrated actress. My blog about her is http://alicewhiteflapper.blogspot.com/

Brooksie

PostSun Apr 16, 2017 12:15 pm

s.w.a.c. wrote:Alice has some stiff competition in Thelma Todd...

I must admit I'm more interested to see Thelma than Alice. As much as she was hyped as the new Clara Bow, Alice had little of Clara's acting ability, IMHO.

jcp7701

PostSun Apr 16, 2017 1:39 pm

--pleased that another of Jack Mulhall's later starring roles (before he went the B route circa 1930-31) is not "lost."

mwalls

PostSun Apr 16, 2017 3:52 pm

I know that budgets are tight, and these major archives hold countless titles. But, when a previously thought "lost" film appears after 80 years, is it given a priority for digital copy, etc.?

Matthew

s.w.a.c.

PostMon Apr 17, 2017 7:36 pm

Brooksie wrote:
s.w.a.c. wrote:Alice has some stiff competition in Thelma Todd...

I must admit I'm more interested to see Thelma than Alice. As much as she was hyped as the new Clara Bow, Alice had little of Clara's acting ability, IMHO.

No argument there. Alice is charming, but her range is fairly limited, while Thelma has looks, charm, brains and timing to spare.

The only Alice White silent title I've seen is the Constance Talmadge picture Breakfast at Sunrise, which I saw at Cinefest at some point in the mid-'90s, and I honestly don't remember a whole lot about it other than the fact I enjoyed it, and there were some lovely visual touches. I'm curious to see more of her silent work; at least Alice was able to have a more successful transition to sound than most, making it to the mid-'30s in terms of a busy career, until it was derailed by scandal and mental health problems (shades of Clara Bow again).

FrankFay

PostTue Apr 18, 2017 4:28 am

s.w.a.c. wrote:
Brooksie wrote:The only Alice White silent title I've seen is the Constance Talmadge picture Breakfast at Sunrise, which I saw at Cinefest at some point in the mid-'90s, and I honestly don't remember a whole lot about it other than the fact I enjoyed it, and there were some lovely visual touches. I'm curious to see more of her silent work; at least Alice was able to have a more successful transition to sound than most, making it to the mid-'30s in terms of a busy career, until it was derailed by scandal and mental health problems (shades of Clara Bow again).

I've seen Alice White in "Harold Teen" (a film that should be out on video NOW) and she's quite good as the "smart blonde" variety of flapper. In talkes she wasn't greatly talented, though she had her moments, such as her predatory stenographer in "Employee's Entrance"
Eric Stott

rockynelson

PostTue May 09, 2017 9:21 am

WOW I thought Harold Teen was a lost film. Where did you see it? Do you think it will ever be released on DVD or shown on TCM???

Thanks. My blog about Alice White is http://alicewhiteflapper.blogspot.com/

martinola

PostTue May 09, 2017 10:11 am

"Harold Teen" is over at UCLA. I was able to see the Nitrate print on their Steenbeck back about 20 years ago. I believe that they have it on Safety film as well.

Martin

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostTue May 09, 2017 10:28 am

Harold Teen played the Silent Film Society of Chicago some years ago, so it must be circulating on safety stock in some fashion.
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

Danny Burk

PostTue May 09, 2017 2:43 pm

It used to be available for rent (Films Inc, IIRC) on 16mm in the '80s.

FrankFay

PostTue May 09, 2017 6:51 pm

I saw it at the Capitol Theater in Rome NY. a VERY funny film. It seems that there was a color reel in it at some point, but it must have been very self contained as nothing seems to be missing
Eric Stott

Return to Talkie News