Danielle Darrieux is 100!

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

Danielle Darrieux is 100!

PostMon May 01, 2017 9:03 am

Well, no offense to Charles Middleton but I'm kicking myself at having missed another centenarian's 100th birthday for the masthead. Danielle Darrieux's first film was in 1931, and her filmography includes several of the major French films of her era including the international hit Mayerling (1936), a string of films with Max Ophuls including La Ronde, Plaisir and The Earrings of Madame de..., Demy's The Young Girls of Rochefort, and others up to Françoise Ozon's 8 Women in 2002. Her Hollywood credits are few but she's well cast in the cynical James Mason spy yarn Five Fingers.

TCM was more on the ball than me; they'll be showing several of her films tonight. Here's a Film Comment piece today:

https://www.filmcomment.com/blog/tcm-di ... -darrieux/
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

brendangcarroll

Re: Danielle Darrieux is 100!

PostMon May 01, 2017 1:55 pm

How wonderful that she's still with us.

I have been looking for a copy of the two French musicals she made with Jan Kiepura in the mid 1930s, for many years :

J'aime toutes les femmes and Mon coeur t'appelle

If anyone knows where they may be find, I'd be so grateful to know.
"Korngold has so much talent he could give half away and still have enough left for himself..." Giacomo Puccini (1921)

Harlowgold

PostMon May 01, 2017 3:20 pm

Happy Birthday Danielle Darrieux and wow, what a birthday!!! She's hands down my favorite "European film" actress. A career achievement Oscar is long overdue!! What a career from 1931 to 2010 or so, and it may not be over yet.

There's about a half dozen Darrieux French films posted on archive.org - a couple of them rare.

Harlowgold

PostMon May 01, 2017 3:46 pm

Mike Gebert wrote: Her Hollywood credits are few but she's well cast in the cynical James Mason spy yarn Five Fingers.

She is superb in her sole film under her Universal contract in 1938, THE RAGE OF PARIS, a delicious romantic comedy confection that is almost as good as the best of Colbert or Lombard. I don't know if the movie was a box office success or not (possibly not given BRINGING UP BABY bombed in 1938) but Universal sure gave her the hard sell - somebody about twelve years ago sold me an amazing large collection of clippings of her from American movie magazines of 1938 - I put them in a 8x11 era-appropriate scrapbook I had and it almost completely filled it up (50 pages). All this basically from one movie!! I tend the believe her take on her short Hollywood career that she grew lonely for her friends and family in France and wasn't comfortable in Hollywood and asked for her release after a few months. She clearly had the potential to be a big Hollywood star.

Aaron1927

PostMon May 01, 2017 4:12 pm

Happy Birthday! Here is a tribute I made to Danielle Darrieux.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLqopXKxgNw

Last edited by silentfilm on Wed May 03, 2017 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Embedd YouTube link

MaryGH

PostTue May 02, 2017 5:32 am

Happy Belated Birthday to Danielle Darrieux - I knew she was still with us, had no idea she just turned 100.

I used to have a VHS copy of "The Rage of Paris" many years ago and liked the movie quite a bit.
Petition: Turner Enter./Warner Bros: Please digitalize Tom Tyler's FBO silent film westerns

http://bit.ly/2ueCvHe
---
Aventuras de Tom Tyler

http://triggertomblog.blogspot.com/

sepiatone

PostTue May 09, 2017 6:04 pm

Happy 100th birthday Danielle! 8)

Return to Talkie News