Film Noir from Iran

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

Cinephile59

Film Noir from Iran

PostTue May 02, 2017 10:35 am

For those who are interested in film noir please take note that this year Il Cinema Ritrovato festival will be showing for the first time under the heading of Tehran Noir: The Thrillers of Samuel Khachikian. They were all produced in Iran during the 50s. Excuse my ignorance, but this is the first time I have heard that film noir films were made in Iran. I would not be surprised if Eddie Muller would not pack his suitcase and fly to Bologna to see this group of films.

oldposterho

Re: Film Noir from Iran

PostTue May 02, 2017 11:32 am

Wow, those might really be something to see. Post-War angst and the Shah's goon squads certainly might provide fertile ground for some quality noir.

I hope we get a report from those who might attend. These films are certainly well below my radar as I've never even heard of Mr. Khachikian, let alone his films.

Jim Roots

PostTue May 02, 2017 11:44 am

I smell a Criterion "Eclipse" set coming up!

Jim

MaryGH

PostTue May 02, 2017 6:49 pm

OK this would be of interest to me - I remember when I saw "Gavaznha" (The Deer; 1974) for the first time around 2006/2007 and was able to follow it pretty easily without any needed English subtitles, having a college degree in Near Eastern/Persian studies. Would be nice if a DVD set of these Khachikian become available.

Kheili mamnun

(Thanks!)
Petition: Turner Enter./Warner Bros: Please digitalize Tom Tyler's FBO silent film westerns

http://bit.ly/2ueCvHe
---
Aventuras de Tom Tyler

http://triggertomblog.blogspot.com/

Return to Talkie News