Roger Moore Has Passed Away

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

missdupont

Roger Moore Has Passed Away

PostTue May 23, 2017 8:24 am

His family announced very early this morning that he died of cancer.
https://www.yahoo.com/movies/roger-moor ... 03895.html

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

Re: Roger Moore Has Passed Away

PostTue May 23, 2017 8:31 am

Godspeed, ffolkes.

Saw him in person once in the corridors of NBC— a Leo Burnett producer and I were chatting with Gene Shalit and he slid by, as dapper in real life.

Then he shot me with a harpoon gun and said "I hope you got the point."

Okay, some of that was true, anyway...
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

The Blackbird

Sir Roger Moore Dies: RIP James Bond

PostTue May 23, 2017 9:05 am

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 51751.html" target="_blank

I admit I can't even take it in...

momsne

Re: Sir Roger Moore Dies: RIP James Bond

PostTue May 23, 2017 9:49 am

That was unexpected.

boblipton

PostTue May 23, 2017 10:30 am

A fine Saint for tv.

Bob
His plagiarism was limited only by his faulty technique.

-- Peter Schickele

Arndt

PostTue May 23, 2017 11:40 am

My favourite Bond actor. I find he best embodied the tongue-in-cheeknesss of the part.
More entertainment value in one wrinkle than in all of Daniel Craig.
MELIOR

Jim Roots

PostTue May 23, 2017 1:24 pm

Arndt wrote:My favourite Bond actor. I find he best embodied the tongue-in-cheeknesss of the part.
More entertainment value in one wrinkle than in all of Daniel Craig.

I hold the exact opposite opinion. (And that's all these are: opinions, after all.) Moore turned Bond into a clown and a cartoon. Brosnan and Dalton did a lot to bring him back to credible spy level, but it took Craig to flesh him out into a multi-dimensional person with depth.

Jim

Jim Roots

PostTue May 23, 2017 1:25 pm

He was, however, the perfect Saint on TV, as Bob Lipton has posted. I enjoyed watching that show when I was a wee lad.

Jim

boblipton

PostTue May 23, 2017 2:22 pm

His New York Times obituary:

http://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/23/movie ... -well&_r=0" target="_blank
His plagiarism was limited only by his faulty technique.

-- Peter Schickele

Arndt

PostTue May 23, 2017 2:37 pm

Jim Roots wrote: Brosnan and Dalton did a lot to bring him back to credible spy level, but it took Craig to flesh him out into a multi-dimensional person with depth.
Jim

If I were looking for credible spying and a multi-dimensional person with depth, I would not turn to a James Bond film first. I just watched THE SPY WHO LOVED ME in Mr Moore's honour. Thankfully no credible spying or character depth in evidence there. Phew!
MELIOR

Donald Binks

PostTue May 23, 2017 3:43 pm

Sir Roger's death has seen another link to a past life I once had severed. I have very happy memories of the World Premiere of "Live and Let Die" in 1973 and subsequently having a great conversation with Sir Roger some days later. He personified elegance and was also very much a gentleman. Perhaps he did play James Bond a little tongue in cheek - but who for one would find the character credible? I think the whole thing is rather over the top and can afford some flippancy. Sir Roger shall surely be missed.
Regards from
Donald Binks

"I was in love with a beautiful blonde one time. She led me to drink. It's the only thing I'm thankful to her for."

Changsham

PostTue May 23, 2017 3:53 pm

Donald Binks wrote:Sir Roger's death has seen another link to a past life I once had severed. I have very happy memories of the World Premiere of "Live and Let Die" in 1973 and subsequently having a great conversation with Sir Roger some days later. He personified elegance and was also very much a gentleman. Perhaps he did play James Bond a little tongue in cheek - but who for one would find the character credible? I think the whole thing is rather over the top and can afford some flippancy. Sir Roger shall surely be missed.

Agree with you there, Sean Connery and him were the best. Delivered the appropriate amount of seriousness to a cartoonish role.

The Blackbird

PostWed May 24, 2017 4:59 am

"James!"
"Morning, Moneypenny."
"But why are you so late?"
"I fell out of an airplane without a parachute."

Jim Roots

PostWed May 24, 2017 6:14 am

"Credibility" within context. The Bond series was a spy fantasy, not "real life" spy capers. Humour has always been an essential element of it -- quipping in the face of death, and all that. Moore (and the writers and producers of his Bond films, of course) chose to make the series nothing but fantasy and cartoon comedy. As Mack Sennett would have done, they made it "farce comedy". There is no possibility of any "credibility" existing in such an approach.

Post-Moore, the Bond series slowly turned around the ocean liner and steered it into a direction more like exaggerated realism and less like "farce comedy". Well, if you want any degree of realism in a spy movie, your spy has to have some degree of credibility. He has to be a human being, not Bugs Bunny.

Taking a comparison from another era, the reason Humphrey Bogart made his gangster movies so good was because Bogie emanated credibility as a worn-out hoodlum or detective, even as the plot twists and the violence around him verged on fantasy.

Daniel Craig, not Roger Moore, is Humphrey Bogart's parallel. Moore is Ford Sterling's parallel.

Jim

The Blackbird

PostSun May 28, 2017 5:08 am

More Moore observations:

He and Sir Christopher Lee were friends for 67 years.
On the audio commentary for THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN, when Bond's wax replica is first seen, he remarks, "This is some of my best acting, right here."
He was an enthusiastic supporter of Daniel Craig's Bond movies (except QUANTUM OF SOLACE, which he found as impossible to follow as anyone), even making a point of seeing SPECTRE, and called Craig his favourite Bond ("He's a superb actor. I believe every word he says.")
He was supposed to play Edward Fox's part in A BRIDGE TOO FAR, but production on THE SPY WHO LOVED ME overran.
To those who found him too lightweight for Bond, be sure to see his beautifully sarcastic commando in FFOLKES.
Similarly, his hilariously acidic byplay with Tony Curtis on THE PERSUADERS is always a joy to watch.
Of course, he spent the last 25 years of his life working tirelessly on behalf of children everywhere for UNICEF.

The Blackbird

PostWed May 31, 2017 6:23 pm

Speaking of James Bond, Molly Peters from THUNDERBALL has passed away too.

s.w.a.c.

PostThu Jun 01, 2017 5:47 am

The Blackbird wrote:To those who found him too lightweight for Bond, be sure to see his beautifully sarcastic commando in FFOLKES.
Similarly, his hilariously acidic byplay with Tony Curtis on THE PERSUADERS is always a joy to watch.

Haven't seen ffolkes since it came out, but just learned there is a Universal DVD of it. Off to Amazon! (Actually saw the film on a transatlantic flight to the UK in 1980. Can't believe they showed a film about a terrorist hijacking on an airplane, even if it was set on an oil rig and not a jet.)

Also discovered DVD sets of The Persuaders at my local library. I've only read about it, can't wait to watch a few episodes.
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

The Blackbird

PostFri Jun 02, 2017 5:49 am

THE PERSUADERS is like ROUTE 66 meets THE AVENGERS. The two leads were perfectly cast, and you can see why Moore slid so smoothly into the role of 007 afterwards. He even drives an Aston Martin! Amusingly, guest stars on the series include Bernard Lee, Lois Maxwell and Geoffrey Keen. Curtis, for his part, is such a cool guy here he usually wears gloves even when he's well-dressed.

s.w.a.c.

PostWed Jun 07, 2017 8:54 am

I've watched a couple of eps of The Persuaders, and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. Great theme music by, who else?, John Barry, and pros like Basil Dearden, Roy Ward Baker and Val Guest behind the camera. It seems Curtis was a last-minute addition to the show, his character was originally going to be a Texan, but he and Moore have great chemistry and apparently were encouraged to do a fair bit of ad-libbing on set (according to the commentary with Moore on the first episode).
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

Return to Talkie News