Olivia de Havilland is 101 and sues FOX over TV series FEUD!

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

brendangcarroll

Olivia de Havilland is 101 and sues FOX over TV series FEUD!

PostFri Jun 30, 2017 11:06 pm

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-es ... al-1018306

Go Livvy! What a lady you are! This will be even more entertaining than the lame TV series! :D I hope you win $millions!
"Korngold has so much talent he could give half away and still have enough left for himself..." Giacomo Puccini (1921)

wich2

Re: Olivia de Havilland is 101 and sues FOX over TV series F

PostSat Jul 01, 2017 8:25 am

She lived a public life, and so much of it is part of the public record.

Her case is weak.

earlytalkiebuffRob

PostSun Jul 02, 2017 3:02 pm

Just because a person's career puts him / her in the public eye, does not mean to say privacy should not be respected when appropriate. And yes, what a lady!

wich2

PostSun Jul 02, 2017 8:45 pm

Please define "appropriate," in the case of a film/tv project like this?

bigshot

PostMon Jul 03, 2017 9:15 am

I don't see how she can claim privacy when she is a public figure. There have been plenty of unauthorized bio-pics of people who were still alive at the time of airing. And depicting her giving gossipy interviews to the press isn't something that will damage her career. As for the comments about her sister, that stuff is common knowledge. She can't pretend it didn't exist. Not a chance on this lawsuit.

wich2

PostMon Jul 03, 2017 11:55 am

Exactly so.

All Darc

PostThu Jul 06, 2017 9:04 am

To sue here, to sue there...

I heard Steve McQueen widow is sueing the studio alleging the asbestos (fire proof material) used in his race suit for the movie Le Mans, was the main cause of his cancer.

Asbestos micro particles.can be danger. But I imagine it would need a lot of exposure to it, and not just the days of shooting the scenes where he was wearing the asbestos suit. And his suit was painted white, reducing particles emission I supose.

Steve had malignant mesothelioma,and died as consequence. This cancer many times is a direct consequence of exposure to asbestos. But Steve had exposure to asbestos when he served in the navy for about 3 years, where there were asbestos everywhere.

https://www.mesothelioma.com/blog/autho ... terans.htm" target="_blank" target="_blank

Blame the studio for his cancer sounds exagerated, considering his exposure to asbestos from the race suit was minimal, and the large exposure he ha was during years at the navy.
Keep thinking...

Frederica

PostThu Jul 06, 2017 10:29 am

All Darc wrote:To sue here, to sue there...

I heard Steve McQueen widow is sueing the studio alleging the asbestos (fire proof material) used in his race suit for the movie Le Mans, was the main cause of his cancer.

Asbestos micro particles.can be danger. But I imagine it would need a lot of exposure to it, and not just the days of shooting the scenes where he was wearing the asbestos suit. And his suit was painted white, reducing particles emission I supose.

Steve had malignant mesothelioma,and died as consequence. This cancer many times is a direct consequence of exposure to asbestos. But Steve had exposure to asbestos when he served in the navy for about 3 years, where there were asbestos everywhere.

https://www.mesothelioma.com/blog/autho ... terans.htm" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

Blame the studio for his cancer sounds exagerated, considering his exposure to asbestos from the race suit was minimal, and the large exposure he ha was during years at the navy.

Where did you find the info on Barbara McQueen suing the studio? I've seen nothing about that. She is active in asbestos-related mesothelioma issues. As far as I know his exposure to asbestos while in the Marine Corp (not Navy) was always pointed to as the source of his mesothelioma. But asbestos was also used extensively in all construction up until...some point relatively recently...as it is fireproof.

Asbestos is a naturally occurring fibrous silicate mineral, it's all over the place in the Mojave; New Mexico has one of the highest rates of asbestos-related mesothelioma because the stuff is just lying around on the ground. It really doesn't take a lot of exposure to it, it depends upon how much of it you inhale into your lungs.

McQueen was also a smoker, which didn't help.
Last edited by Frederica on Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fred
"Screw the men. I've got the horse."
Helen B. (Penny) Chenery
http://www.nitanaldi.com"
http://www.facebook.com/NitaNaldiSilentVamp"

JFK

Olivia de Havilland is Wanted Dead or Alive

PostThu Jul 06, 2017 11:26 am

And depicting her giving gossipy interviews to the press isn't something that will damage her career. As for the comments about her sister, that stuff is common knowledge. She can't pretend it didn't exist. Not a chance on this lawsuit
From the Hollywood Reporter
"She's suing for infringement of common law right of publicity, invasion of privacy and unjust enrichment and is asking the court for not only damages but also any profits gained from the use of her likeness and an injunction to keep FX from continuing to use her name and likeness."

How can de Havilland- or more likely, her estate- not win something in a settlement if the studio used her character without payment or permission? When filmmakers obtain neither, they generally substitute a fictitious/composite persona. One of their mistakes may have been not doing so here.

And, as always, I'll go further: if copyright laws can grant protection for 95 years or so, why shouldn't this protection length be granted to the right of publicity of deceased celebrities? Let's say in the year 2112 there is still a market for GWTW "Melanie" dolls, or "Snake Pit" action figures- shouldn't her estate, even at that late date, be able to win damages if the manufacturing of the dolls, if not the action figures, is decreased by false portrayals of Olivia as a gossip?
As I noted a while back in another tread, the recent digital sub-channel re-broadcasts of Wanted - Dead or Alive were sponsored, perhaps obliviously, by a law group soliciting cases from Mesothelioma sufferers.

wich2

Re: Olivia de Havilland is Wanted Dead or Alive

PostThu Jul 06, 2017 7:16 pm

JFK wrote:How can de Havilland- or more likely, her estate- not win something in a settlement if the studio used her character without payment or permission? When filmmakers obtain neither, they generally substitute a fictitious/composite persona. One of their mistakes may have been not doing so here.

She was a public figure for a long time. If the creators of this program can source the bulk of their material in the public record, they have a strong case.

maliejandra

PostFri Jul 07, 2017 7:05 am

I would be shocked if she got anything. Famous figures are used in fictional books and movies and tv shows all the time. As long as it is a fictional work, they can't claim slander/libel. Feud isn't a documentary. It would also be hard to prove damages because she isn't currently working, so she can't claim she lost out on jobs because of the way she was represented in the series.

JFK

Olivia de Havilland is 101, so watch out!

PostFri Jul 07, 2017 7:24 am

ImageLawsuit
"The model for Princess Natasha was Princess Irina Yusupov, the wife of Felix Yusupov, one of Grigori Rasputin's actual murderers. Attorney Fanny Holtzmann filed a lawsuit by Yusupov against MGM in 1933, claiming invasion of privacy and libel. The film portrays her as a victim of Rasputin, and it is implied that he raped her, which never happened. She won an award of $127,373 in an English court and an out-of-court settlement with MGM, reportedly of $250,000, in New York.

The all persons fictitious disclaimer in the credits of most Hollywood films is a result of the lawsuit. The offending scene was cut, which rendered Wynyard's character somewhat incomprehensible unless the viewer of the film is aware of this cut: in the first half of the film, Princess Natasha is a supporter of Rasputin, and in the second half she is extremely afraid of him for no apparent reason. The laser disc release of this film includes the original theatrical trailer, which contains a portion of this deleted scene."

Danny

PostFri Jul 07, 2017 8:32 am

Most important: Is this law suit going to prevent the release of the DVD?
Danny

Frederica

PostFri Jul 07, 2017 9:53 am

maliejandra wrote:I would be shocked if she got anything. Famous figures are used in fictional books and movies and tv shows all the time. As long as it is a fictional work, they can't claim slander/libel. Feud isn't a documentary. It would also be hard to prove damages because she isn't currently working, so she can't claim she lost out on jobs because of the way she was represented in the series.

I suspect they will settle out of court.
Fred
"Screw the men. I've got the horse."
Helen B. (Penny) Chenery
http://www.nitanaldi.com"
http://www.facebook.com/NitaNaldiSilentVamp"

earlytalkiebuffRob

PostSat Jul 08, 2017 3:29 pm

wich2 wrote:Please define "appropriate," in the case of a film/tv project like this?

Hard to define, as depends on the nature and content of the particular show. I scrapped my TV license last year and don't miss it a bit. All I was trying to say was that despite being a public figure whose films countless millions have happily paid to see, as well as to own, that Miss de Havilland is entitled to some sort of protection from folk who want to make cheap money from dragging up ancient gossip.

FrankFay

PostSat Jul 08, 2017 4:57 pm

earlytalkiebuffRob wrote:
wich2 wrote:Please define "appropriate," in the case of a film/tv project like this?

Hard to define, as depends on the nature and content of the particular show. I scrapped my TV license last year and don't miss it a bit. All I was trying to say was that despite being a public figure whose films countless millions have happily paid to see, as well as to own, that Miss de Havilland is entitled to some sort of protection from folk who want to make cheap money from dragging up ancient gossip.

I thought it was a remarkably well done series, and most of the cast acted their asses off! The exception might have been Katherine Zeta Jones as de Haviland
Eric Stott

Donald Binks

PostSat Jul 08, 2017 6:39 pm

How much of a public person's life is entitled to invasion? I think that boundaries have to be drawn somewhere or it is open slather. Given that the press these days don't follow any of the gentlemanly (or ladylike) rules of behaviour then rules have to be drawn (unfortunately).

In those cases where a dramatisation is made of part of the life of a person still living, then those who produce it are treading on dangerous ground and have to be very careful that they stick closely to facts that are proven. Dialogue also has to be in keeping with those facts otherwise in law any such deviation could be construed as a libel. That is probably why a whole team of legal eagles are employed to look things over.

I think we should each put ourselves in the imagined position of having a public life with what little private life we are able to eke into it flaunted in the press for everyone to see. Not at all pleasant I would imagine.

I therefore sympathise with Dame Olivia and trust that she comes out of this well.
Regards from
Donald Binks

"I was in love with a beautiful blonde one time. She led me to drink. It's the only thing I'm thankful to her for."

boblipton

PostSat Jul 08, 2017 6:57 pm

I feel a certain amount of pity, but in the US that's the distinction between a private and a public person. You can't go courting publicity, tell the press this detail and that detail and offer for public consumption your thoughts on every subject under the sun.... but not this one! That's private! In the constant struggle to do do anything to keep oneself in the public eye -- and for far too many modern celebrities, they are celebrated for .... well, they're famous for being famous. Nor does interest in them turn off like cutting off the power to an empty, windowless theater auditorium.

I feel sorry for many of the young Disney teenage actresses, who tried to make the transition to "adult star" by ridiculously public sexualized activity. Without Disney to manage them, they are lost souls. However, every action carries a penumbra and while experience keeps a dear school, a fool will learn in no other.

Bob
To remain ignorant of what occurred before before you were born is to remain forever a child.
-- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Donald Binks

PostSat Jul 08, 2017 7:07 pm

boblipton wrote:I feel a certain amount of pity, but in the US that's the distinction between a private and a public person. You can't go courting publicity, tell the press this detail and that detail and offer for public consumption your thoughts on every subject under the sun.... but not this one! That's private! In the constant struggle to do do anything to keep oneself in the public eye -- and for far too many modern celebrities, they are celebrated for .... well, they're famous for being famous. Nor does interest in them turn off like cutting off the power to an empty, windowless theater auditorium.

I feel sorry for many of the young Disney teenage actresses, who tried to make the transition to "adult star" by ridiculously public sexualized activity. Without Disney to manage them, they are lost souls. However, every action carries a penumbra and while experience keeps a dear school, a fool will learn in no other.

Bob

I think we are judging the older stars of another era by the standards (or lack thereof) of the modern variety.

I am somewhat amused by the appearance before me (usually uninvited) of the vapid and vacuous who are elevated by the illiterate and various publicity machines to the rank of "celebrity". Why is it that these people are on talk shows etc., instead of educated people who may know something of which they speak?

One usually only saw the older stars such as Dame Olivia in her pictures, or in some writing up in a magazine - usually studio prepared bunkum to satisfy some degree of curiosity. Nothing like the over-exposure of today.
Regards from
Donald Binks

"I was in love with a beautiful blonde one time. She led me to drink. It's the only thing I'm thankful to her for."

boblipton

PostSat Jul 08, 2017 7:29 pm

In bygone days, Donald, Greta Garbo could retire to New York City and be a private person, within limits -- there were Garbo watchers who behaved like bird watchers -- the idea was to spot Garbo and one-up other Garbo watchers, without disturbing the subject. Nowadays, celebrities behave as if their public and private personas are the same, and they act as if they understand things in great detail -- there has been some discussion of Will Smith's children and their willingness to lecture other people on philosophy, abetted, it is true, by a press which thinks it sensible to report these opinions as if they were serious statements. How many of them, when offered a chance to say something on an issue of public policy, have the grace to say "I have my opinions, but so do other people. I don't feel I have much to add to the vast mass of such matters. I am well-known for whatever my particular talents are that have caused me to be in the public eye. I feel some competence to discuss those issues. Feel free to ask me about those matters"?

It is particularly hard on those of us who have had our day and seen that world vanish, along with the standards that we were comfortable with then. I am not in my second century, but I feel the twinges of my world dying, and the frustrations Of that. As I told the son of a longtime friend, "We spend the first thirty years of ou lives learning the rules of the world, and then they change them on us!" How much more difficult it must be for someone of Miss DeHaviland's age!

Bob
Last edited by boblipton on Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
To remain ignorant of what occurred before before you were born is to remain forever a child.
-- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Donald Binks

PostSat Jul 08, 2017 7:34 pm

Well put Bob, me old mate. Sums it up entirely and I am in complete agreement with your sentiments.
Regards from
Donald Binks

maliejandra

PostMon Jul 10, 2017 5:59 am

Donald Binks wrote:How much of a public person's life is entitled to invasion? I think that boundaries have to be drawn somewhere or it is open slather. Given that the press these days don't follow any of the gentlemanly (or ladylike) rules of behaviour then rules have to be drawn (unfortunately).

Did you see Feud? Because I can't think of anything that was portrayed in it that hasn't been said or written before, or that put Olivia in a particularly bad light. (Did she sue when Charles Higham published his book Sisters: The Story of Olivia De Havilland and Joan Fontaine in the 80s?)

FrankFay

PostMon Jul 10, 2017 8:35 am

maliejandra wrote:
Donald Binks wrote:How much of a public person's life is entitled to invasion? I think that boundaries have to be drawn somewhere or it is open slather. Given that the press these days don't follow any of the gentlemanly (or ladylike) rules of behaviour then rules have to be drawn (unfortunately).

Did you see Feud? Because I can't think of anything that was portrayed in it that hasn't been said or written before, or that put Olivia in a particularly bad light. (Did she sue when Charles Higham published his book Sisters: The Story of Olivia De Havilland and Joan Fontaine in the 80s?)

I think she's pretty much suing because they didn't get on their knees and beg permission to put her on screen
Eric Stott

bigshot

PostMon Jul 10, 2017 9:46 am

I'm suspecting that the people here who are thinking this is a valid lawsuit haven't seen the series. De Havilland isn't depicted in a bad light at all, and most of the scenes involving her were related to her friendship with Davis. I really don't think anyone in this film were depicted unfairly... except perhaps Jack Warner who wasn't allowed any nuance to his character. Surprisingly, Crawford comes out of this with considerable sympathy.

FrankFay

PostMon Jul 10, 2017 9:59 am

bigshot wrote:I'm suspecting that the people here who are thinking this is a valid lawsuit haven't seen the series. De Havilland isn't depicted in a bad light at all, and most of the scenes involving her were related to her friendship with Davis. I really don't think anyone in this film were depicted unfairly... except perhaps Jack Warner who wasn't allowed any nuance to his character. Surprisingly, Crawford comes out of this with considerable sympathy.

Ryan Murphy most definitely slanted this as a Crawford Redemption

As to de Havilland, the worst I can say of the portrayal is that she came off as superficial - but that is probably just KZJ playing her.

LOVED Hedda Hopper
Eric Stott

wich2

PostMon Jul 10, 2017 2:11 pm

(BOB LIPTON) >in the US that's the distinction between a private and a public person. You can't go courting publicity, tell the press this detail and that detail and offer for public consumption your thoughts on every subject under the sun.... but not this one! That's private!<

PRE-cisely, Bob. "Fair" flows in both directions.

(DONALD BINKS) >I think we are judging the older stars of another era by the standards (or lack thereof) of the modern variety.<

But that's just it, Donald - it now is "another era." The world turns, the moving finger writes, and the bull that was press flack hagiography is consigned to the trash heap of history. Thank heavens!

People are now allowed to be seen not as cheap plaster saints, but rather as richly varied human beings.

-Craig

Donald Binks

PostMon Jul 10, 2017 4:41 pm

wich2 wrote:(DONALD BINKS) >I think we are judging the older stars of another era by the standards (or lack thereof) of the modern variety.<

But that's just it, Donald - it now is "another era." The world turns, the moving finger writes, and the bull that was press flack hagiography is consigned to the trash heap of history. Thank heavens!

People are now allowed to be seen not as cheap plaster saints, but rather as richly varied human beings.

-Craig

One always hopes that the dawning of a new era as you put it, would be better than the last - and whilst we rejoice in the modernity of it all, we do so at the loss of some of the standards of older times.

I cannot help but remember in some picture I saw covering the period when FDR was President, they showed a scene of him coming aboard a ship, struggling to get up the gangplank on his crutches. All the press put down their cameras until such time as he was "in position". Such politeness and courtesy is definitely now in the realm of the past.

As to your other comment about "cheap plaster saints". Would you not agree we still have them? Why, half these so-called celebrities of today are mere creations and no more than cardboard cut-outs.

Now, if you will excuse me, I am going back to 1929. I feel a lot more comfortable there. :D
Regards from
Donald Binks

wich2

PostMon Jul 10, 2017 7:54 pm

Peruse this enlightening little chronicle!

https://www.amazon.com/Good-Old-Days-Th ... errible%21" target="_blank

Jim Roots

PostTue Jul 11, 2017 5:41 am

Donald Binks wrote:Now, if you will excuse me, I am going back to 1929. I feel a lot more comfortable there. :D

What stocks have you invested in?

Jim

bigshot

PostTue Jul 11, 2017 10:48 am

Fatty Arbuckle sure didn't think the 1920s were so great. And the people in the bread lines in the early 30s would have liked to be anywhere but there.

Thanks for the book recommendation wich2. I ordered it.
Next

Return to Talkie News