Trailer for THE OLD DARK HOUSE from COHEN FILM COLLECTION

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

BixB

Re: Trailer for THE OLD DARK HOUSE from COHEN FILM COLLECTIO

PostTue Oct 10, 2017 7:23 am

George O'Brien wrote:Drop your electronic devices, and run!

To the Quad Cinema, 34 W. 13th St., New York City, where this 4K restoration opens today. Apparently, for only a 4 day engagement. What a thrill it will be to see this on the silver screen.

It will also play The Kentucky Theatre in Lexington for a week around Halloween. I'll post the dates when they become available.
Joe Busam

All Darc

PostWed Oct 11, 2017 1:23 pm

Review with 720p screen captures :

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Old-D ... 95/#Review

Reel one show a little less detail than the rest. This reinfiorce the claims that the camera netive survived until the 50's (check the history at part 4 at ( http://prairieuprisingreviews.blogspot. ... essay.html ), with exception of a very damaged (or decomposed) reel one, and so preservation masters was made from camera negative and frop a positive fine grain that already existed at the time for reel one.

Not sure if they saved the preservation master for reel one as a positive preservation fine grain (which would require go two generation from the positive fine grain they found to combine with the new positive fine grain made from camera negative from reel 2 ahead) or if they just made a fine grain negative from it in a simple duplication step.
Two generation in a fine grain stock from the 50's (for reel 1) would had add some softness to the image, but not much. Duplication film stock from 50's did not add noticeable increase in grain, but added some little softness. I suppose they would not leave a preservation master as negative imagine for reel one and a as positive image for the rest of reel.

So reel one would be three generations away from camera negative (first fine grain used to replace damaged reel one camera negative + second fine grain that is a negative, plus one more generation to create a positive fine grain to combine with the positive fine grain made from camera negative from reel 2 ahead) while the other reel would be just one generation away.
The text said they produced 3 or more preservation master in the 50's, thanks to a guy outside UNiversal.

But let's supose they had decided, while restoring/protecting the film in the 50's, produce also some internegatives, to made prints. They could use a negative fine grain made from the older positive fine grain, instead of make a positive fine grain from the positive fine preservation. This would same two generations.
Keep thinking...

David Alp

PostWed Oct 11, 2017 7:20 pm

Have a potato.....

bigshot

PostSun Oct 29, 2017 12:38 pm

I screened this last night for a couple of friends... What a great blu-ray! The image quality is amazing. I had seen this before, but it was like watching the movie at midnight through a swarm of bees. With this great restoration, I could really appreciate all the fabulous sets. But the best thing of all was the direction. Whale was a genius! He made a great film purely based on character and atmosphere with almost no plot. And the humor built into all the surprises in the film made them even more surprising. This reminds me of a David Lynch film. Can't wait to watch it again.

35MM

PostSun Oct 29, 2017 5:49 pm

This movie will be shown on TCM Halloween night at 8 p.m. No mention whether or not it's the restored version.
CURSES!

ClayKing

PostSun Oct 29, 2017 9:24 pm

TCM ran a lengthy promo late Saturday night and it certainly looked like the new transfer.
-Rich

s.w.a.c.

PostTue Oct 31, 2017 6:39 am

TCM has been showing a number of Cohen restorations of late, they showed the new versions of Sudden Fear and Beat the Devil over the past few months, and even with my standard def signal they looked very good.

But this is one with repeat viewing value, so I found the blu-ray on sale for $14.99 at Deep Discount DVD, about half of what it would cost to buy from a Canadian retailer (Cohen titles are always pricey imports up here). It was only a dollar more than what they're selling the DVD for.
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

Rick Lanham

PostTue Oct 31, 2017 6:28 pm

Watching the World Series tonight, so ordered the blu-ray for later.

Rick
“The past is never dead. It's not even past” - Faulkner.

Richard Finegan

THE OLD DARK HOUSE on TCM

PostWed Nov 01, 2017 3:49 am

35MM wrote:This movie will be shown on TCM Halloween night at 8 p.m. No mention whether or not it's the restored version.

TCM did run the restored print. Ben Mankiewicz introduced it and at the end plugged the new DVD. But unfortunately whoever wrote his introduction didn't know that the restored print they're running does not include the note at the beginning about Karloff being the same actor who created the part of Frankenstein, etc. so Ben mentioned it...but then it wasn't there.

Anyway, great restoration. Thanks to all who worked on it, and to TCM for running it.

Richard Finegan

THE OLD DARK HOUSE from COHEN FILM COLLECTION

PostWed Nov 01, 2017 3:50 am

There is a nice long & detailed article on the movie's restoration in the November issue of "Classic Images".

bigshot

Re: THE OLD DARK HOUSE on TCM

PostWed Nov 01, 2017 10:36 am

Richard Finegan wrote:TCM did run the restored print. Ben Mankiewicz introduced it and at the end plugged the new DVD. But unfortunately whoever wrote his introduction didn't know that the restored print they're running does not include the note at the beginning about Karloff being the same actor who created the part of Frankenstein, etc. so Ben mentioned it...but then it wasn't there.

Film historians can't be expected to actually watch the films they're talking about. They're celebrities. They have more important things to do!

Thad Komorowski

PostThu Nov 02, 2017 11:51 am

I'm getting conflicting reports, that in fact TCM didn't run the restoration, but the same copy (which looks very nice) they have in the past. Anyone know for sure?

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostThu Nov 02, 2017 2:15 pm

It had a Cohen logo and looked very good. That much I can say.
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

Dan Oliver

PostSun Nov 05, 2017 11:26 am

It was the Cohen restoration. I had been watching the Blu-ray only the day before, and I checked in just to be sure they were showing the new print. Absolutely identical to the Blu-ray. No question.
--Dan

rudyfan

PostMon Nov 06, 2017 5:53 pm

I am sure I will be a lone voice but I really did not get the humor or the horror of this film. So well cast and I thought the whole thing fell totally flat. Looked very good, though!

bigshot

PostTue Nov 07, 2017 2:55 am

The film totally reflects the director. If you appreciate his sense of humor, you'll love the film. I think this movie has a lot in common with The Maltese Falcon.

Jim Reid

PostTue Nov 07, 2017 8:51 am

rudyfan wrote:I am sure I will be a lone voice but I really did not get the humor or the horror of this film. So well cast and I thought the whole thing fell totally flat. Looked very good, though!

Donna, I really didn't like this film the first two times I watched it. It does grow on you. Three weeks ago I saw this new restoration at the Texas Theatre and it was like a whole different film. When I got the blu-ray last week I really enjoyed watching it.

Maybe just give it time?

Mitch Farish

PostTue Nov 07, 2017 9:11 am

Of course the travelers are just foils for the the Femms. The thing that raises this film above all dark house films, is that the humor isn't dependent on the frightened reactions of the normal characters, as in The Cat and the Canary. Here the humor is all about characters who are frightening, and the thing that make them funny is the same thing that makes them potentially dangerous, the madness. The entire dinner scene with the socially challenged Femms is priceless.
Last edited by Mitch Farish on Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigshot

PostTue Nov 07, 2017 12:06 pm

Great comment, Mitch!

I think modern viewers are more involved with the plot and continuity than they are with character and atmosphere. There's almost no plot to this movie, and the continuity often jumps to weird surreal happenings that seem to be for no reason. The old man comes out of left field, and we don't even see the villain until the very end, and when we do see him, he's a little wimpy guy. None of this makes any sense if you are watching the movie focused on story.

But if you watch the film for personality and atmosphere, there's perfect logic. The characters are all totally unique and have their own point of view. They work off each other in different pairings throughout the film, and each time a new pair works together, we learn something new about each of them. The characters are the whole focus of the film, not the story.

The atmosphere builds at the beginning and then proceeds to speed up into wild contrasts. One scene that always stands out to me is where the lights are out and the tension is high. The girl walks across the room and the fireplace casts her shadow on the wall. She starts making shadow animals and the whole tone changes on a dime. Then we go back into the tension and the movie shifts back perfectly. Whale was a genius at being able to set up contrasts in mood to crank up the tension, then release it with a little wicked humor. He does that all through the film, alternating between tension and giggles. The ability to do that successfully and with the proper pacing is what sets a fabulous horror movie apart from just a decent one. I just saw a Korean film called The Wailing and it sustains almost three hours doing this. Texas Chainsaw Massacre has a pivot point in the middle where it shifts from slasher film to black comedy without missing a beat. Evil Dead II mixes Three Stooges style humor with extreme fright. That's all drop dead brilliant direction. James Whale is the real star of this movie, but he doesn't appear on screen so it's easy to miss his greatness.

mwalls

PostTue Nov 07, 2017 6:18 pm

Jim Reid wrote:
rudyfan wrote:I am sure I will be a lone voice but I really did not get the humor or the horror of this film. So well cast and I thought the whole thing fell totally flat. Looked very good, though!

Donna, I really didn't like this film the first two times I watched it. It does grow on you. Three weeks ago I saw this new restoration at the Texas Theatre and it was like a whole different film. When I got the blu-ray last week I really enjoyed watching it.

Maybe just give it time?

I watched the Blu-ray just the other day. My first reaction to the film was that it was quite odd, and I was not sure I liked it or not. Being a few days from watching it, I would still say my reaction is mixed. Just a very odd film. I am glad it was restored and the print is excellent, but I don't see giving this one more viewings anytime soon.

Matthew

Donald Binks

PostTue Nov 07, 2017 7:13 pm

I daresay that watching this film in the 21st Century - the newness of it has gone as films in a similar vein have been the staple since it was made. It must have seemed quite novel in 1932. To me it is pure atmospherics combined with wonderful performances from the likes of Ernest Thesiger who has managed to combine the sinister with high camp. The characters all contrast well and whilst there is no plot other than disparate people being thrown together it still plays remarkably well.
Regards from
Donald Binks

"So, she said: "Elly, it's no use letting Lou have the sherry glasses..."She won't appreciate them,
she won't polish them..."You know what she's like." So I said:..."

BixB

PostThu Nov 09, 2017 8:51 am

Thanks to an interview by Tom Weaver with The Cohen Group's Tim Lanza in the latest issue of Classic Images, I learned that my two favorite film restorations of 2016 share a link beside the home studio that produced them. Namely KING OF JAZZ and THE OLD DARK HOUSE. Turns out that when Universal was working on their restoration of KING OF JAZZ, The Cohen Film Group had an original 35mm nitrate print that the studio needed. In turn, Universal had certain rights to THE OLD DARK HOUSE that Cohen needed to proceed. Eventually, a swap was worked out and we were treated to two of the most amazing film restorations in modern times. Truly a win-win situation.
Joe Busam

David Alp

PostThu Nov 09, 2017 7:26 pm

BixB wrote:Thanks to an interview by Tom Weaver with The Cohen Group's Tim Lanza in the latest issue of Classic Images, I learned that my two favorite film restorations of 2016 share a link beside the home studio that produced them. Namely KING OF JAZZ and THE OLD DARK HOUSE. Turns out that when Universal was working on their restoration of KING OF JAZZ, The Cohen Film Group had an original 35mm nitrate print that the studio needed. In turn, Universal had certain rights to THE OLD DARK HOUSE that Cohen needed to proceed. Eventually, a swap was worked out and we were treated to two of the most amazing film restorations in modern times. Truly a win-win situation.

Is that so? Wow! Do you have a link to this Tom Weaver interview? I would love to read it.

BixB

PostFri Nov 10, 2017 8:24 am

David Alp wrote:
BixB wrote:Thanks to an interview by Tom Weaver with The Cohen Group's Tim Lanza in the latest issue of Classic Images, I learned that my two favorite film restorations of 2016 share a link beside the home studio that produced them. Namely KING OF JAZZ and THE OLD DARK HOUSE. Turns out that when Universal was working on their restoration of KING OF JAZZ, The Cohen Film Group had an original 35mm nitrate print that the studio needed. In turn, Universal had certain rights to THE OLD DARK HOUSE that Cohen needed to proceed. Eventually, a swap was worked out and we were treated to two of the most amazing film restorations in modern times. Truly a win-win situation.

Is that so? Wow! Do you have a link to this Tom Weaver interview? I would love to read it.

Unfortunately, it's not online, David. It's in the latest issue of Classic Images which you have to purchase from their website. I just bought a years subscription for $16. http://www.classicimages.com/
Joe Busam

David Alp

PostWed Nov 15, 2017 6:36 pm

Oh I see. Thanks Joe.
Previous

Return to Talkie News