NY Post: Millennials don’t really care about classic movies

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

Donald Binks

Re: NY Post: Millennials don’t really care about classic mov

PostMon Jan 08, 2018 4:18 pm

Jim Roots wrote:Smari, there are postings scattered throughout NitrateVille in which people your Dad's age vilify rap and/or hip-hop, just the same way their own fathers slagged the Beatles because they weren't Frank Sinatra, and their grandfathers slagged Sinatra because he wasn't Rudy Vallee.

There are a few artists who transcend the generations, and you accurately mentioned Bowie (I turned my son onto Bowie three years ago!) The Beatles and, depending on the case, the Ramones are two others. Yes, the Ramones ... as long as you like real, fun, energetic rock'n'roll.

This Christmas I gave my son CDs of Marvin Gaye, Yes, and Mitch Ryder. We both idolize Lou Reed and a long-forgotten Canadian prog band called FM.

Jim

Thanks Uncle Jim for mentioning a whole lot of names, some of which I have not heard of and those that I have heard of - I wouldn't have a clue what they actually sang. (Do you think he lives in a world of his own? :D )

Although I had a period in the 1960's where I liked the Beatles and a few other pop-singers, I generally liked the same artistes as my father. He of course thought all modern singers should have gone and had a haircut - as this would have greatly improved their abilities.

These days I mainly listen to Al Bowlly, Richard Tauber, Bing Crosby - or as my son so succinctly put it - to anyone who is basically now dead.
Regards from
Donald Binks

"So, she said: "Elly, it's no use letting Lou have the sherry glasses..."She won't appreciate them,
she won't polish them..."You know what she's like." So I said:..."

Smari1989

PostMon Jan 08, 2018 4:42 pm

Jim Roots wrote:Smari, there are postings scattered throughout NitrateVille in which people your Dad's age vilify rap and/or hip-hop, just the same way their own fathers slagged the Beatles because they weren't Frank Sinatra, and their grandfathers slagged Sinatra because he wasn't Rudy Vallee.

Yes, I agree; each generation tends to have their particular "idols." Why I can chat with my dad about music etc as easily as I can is probably in part because I'm somewhat a-typical for my age in that I tend to like "old" stuff. However, my impression is that the "gap" between generations by and large seems smaller now than before, as far as cultural references go; it's not so odd these days to find a 55-year old sharing his/her musical preferences with a 25-year old, whereas I'd think that would be a rarer occurrence in the mid-20th century and earlier. However, as you've said elsewhere, this will certainly vary a great deal from person to person, and from family to family.
My WEBCOMIC, Ticklish Town: http://www.ticklishtown.com

bigshot

PostMon Jan 08, 2018 9:10 pm

EVEN MOMS LIKE JOHN DENVER!

Jim Roots

PostTue Jan 09, 2018 6:18 am

Donald Binks wrote:

There are a few artists who transcend the generations, and you accurately mentioned Bowie (I turned my son onto Bowie three years ago!) The Beatles and, depending on the case, the Ramones are two others. Yes, the Ramones ... as long as you like real, fun, energetic rock'n'roll.

This Christmas I gave my son CDs of Marvin Gaye, Yes, and Mitch Ryder. We both idolize Lou Reed and a long-forgotten Canadian prog band called FM.

Jim

Thanks Uncle Jim for mentioning a whole lot of names, some of which I have not heard of and those that I have heard of - I wouldn't have a clue what they actually sang. (Do you think he lives in a world of his own? :D )

Although I had a period in the 1960's where I liked the Beatles and a few other pop-singers, I generally liked the same artistes as my father. He of course thought all modern singers should have gone and had a haircut - as this would have greatly improved their abilities.

These days I mainly listen to Al Bowlly, Richard Tauber, Bing Crosby - or as my son so succinctly put it - to anyone who is basically now dead.

Well, Bowie and half of the Beatles and all of the Ramones are now dead. So is Marvin Gaye, Lou Reed, and a couple of guys from Yes and FM. So, feel free to listen to them, Grandpa Binky!

Jim

Donald Binks

PostTue Jan 09, 2018 6:50 am

(channeling W.C. Fields' voice) There's always someone....yes indeedy! Perhaps I should have limited my repertoire to those who have been dead a considerable amount of time? :D Don't know why I come in here. The flies get the best of everything....shooo.
Regards from
Donald Binks

"So, she said: "Elly, it's no use letting Lou have the sherry glasses..."She won't appreciate them,

maliejandra

PostTue Jan 09, 2018 6:55 am

Heck, Kurt Cobain of Nirvana, Chris Cornell of Soundgarden, Layne Staley of Alice in Chains, Scott Weiland of Stone Temple Pilots, and Chester Bennington of Linkin Park are all dead too so feel free to add them to your repertoire.

R Michael Pyle

PostTue Jan 09, 2018 8:04 am

Yeah, but don't believe everything you hear. Elvis and Roy Orbison are seen often in Detroit at some hamburger joint. Old men now... Real old... Ancient... Long time passing...

All Darc

PostTue Jan 09, 2018 9:26 am

When I saw the topic' title I imagined Millennials was the name of some video distributer I didn't knew realsing horrible editions for old films. :lol: :lol: :lol:

If you find this generation, alienated by TV foolish, erotism, consumism, terrible form enjoy good films, wait till the kids who born with a iphone on hands, grow-up. :roll:
Keep thinking...

All Darc

PostTue Jan 09, 2018 9:57 am

That's the point. But people have prejudice.
I remamber a family member, who says that dislike B&W and change channel, once watch a good B&W film cause there was nothing else on TV to watch. The story was interesting in she wanted to know the end.

One problem today, with internet, is that people have a lot of options to choose, and can change even if dislike the first minute. On TV people had to wait till the time to film begin, and was used by the TV "be the projectionist" while today people are the "projectionists.

bigshot wrote:Perhaps it's best to just focus on quality and not age.
Last edited by All Darc on Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Keep thinking...

Smari1989

PostTue Jan 09, 2018 10:45 am

All Darc wrote:One problem today, with internet, is that people have a lot of options to choose, and can change even if dislike the first minute. On TV people had to waith till the time to film beging, and was used by the TV "be the projectionist" while today people are the "projectionists.

This is a legitimate concern. I know lots of people who'll discard a song on Spotify if they're not immediately hooked by the opening beat (I may be guilty of such quick judgment myself on occasion, by all means). On the one hand, I absolutely LOVE that "everything" is so instantly accessible in our day & age, but I can't help but think that we're also at risk of losing something in the process (our attention span, among other things). Oh well, nothing can be perfect, I s'pose.
My WEBCOMIC, Ticklish Town: http://www.ticklishtown.com

All Darc

PostTue Jan 09, 2018 11:16 am

For other side people became more anxious than never on history. If internet connection get off for 12 hours, many people get desperate or depressed.

I change videos and surf too much on youtube, since I almost quit to watch TV, due LCD TV and actual digital broadcast destroyed my TV watching entertainment. I hope one day a good TV screen be developed, and a decent video digital broadcast too, so I can watch TV again, some good movie, have a "projectionist" to hold my anxiety.

On youtube I almost don't watch films, but curiosities and science, here and there, cause I have no patience to entertainment looking to a LCD device (TV or monitor). I just watch in a small window and not full screen.
Last edited by All Darc on Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep thinking...

bigshot

PostTue Jan 09, 2018 12:50 pm

All entertainers learn fast that the first few minutes are the most important to hooking your audience, and the last few minutes is how they will remember you. That goes WAY back to ancient Greece.

All Darc

PostTue Jan 09, 2018 1:40 pm

That's why George Lucas put that imperial destroyer scene right after the introdution titles in Star Wars.

But the constant stimulos of digital devices, smartphones etc..., is creatin people overestimulated, less patient, selfish.
Even friendship became different, like cut people with a simple button clic, or get 2000 "friends" on Facebook. Or friendship by themes, like a friendship for a given hobby, for a ataste on films, for a given taste in ativity, but not a real friend as person. Digital social bubbles.

bigshot wrote:All entertainers learn fast that the first few minutes are the most important to hooking your audience, and the last few minutes is how they will remember you. That goes WAY back to ancient Greece.
Keep thinking...

wich2

PostWed Jan 10, 2018 1:44 pm

Donald Binks wrote:
Jim Roots wrote:the Beatles ... Bowie ... the Ramones ... Marvin Gaye ... Lou Reed

Not just "dead," Donald; "LONG dead"!

wich2 wrote:(All of the individuals from Jim's list I've hilited above, and some of the Beatles and Ramones, have passed from this veil of tears, too.)

-Craig

I couldn't understand what you wrote above for a while, the "hilited" got me - then it dawned on me that it was probably how you Americans now spelled "highlighted". I live and learn. :D

Yes, I think what this thread has taught me is that I am long passed my "use-by" date! :D

Donald Binks

PostWed Jan 10, 2018 1:57 pm

The above message should have come out as sent by me.
There appears to be some naughty gremlin in the system at the moment - or I am doing something wrong. I am asking the Administrators to check it all out.
Regards from
Donald Binks

Danny Burk

PostWed Jan 10, 2018 3:12 pm

Donald Binks wrote:The above message should have come out as sent by me.
There appears to be some naughty gremlin in the system at the moment - or I am doing something wrong. I am asking the Administrators to check it all out.

Donald - I've edited it to show Craig's quote as such, with your added text below. But...I don't see how it's showing as though the entire post was sent by Craig! I've looked through the code, although html is far from my strong point. Not sure how that happened...maybe Mike or Bruce have a thought.

Jim Roots

PostWed Jan 10, 2018 3:34 pm

Danny Burk wrote:

Donald - I've edited it to show Craig's quote as such, with your added text below. But...I don't see how it's showing as though the entire post was sent by Craig! I've looked through the code, although html is far from my strong point. Not sure how that happened...maybe Mike or Bruce have a thought.

Tonight on Monster Chiller Horror Theatre ... Donald Binks IS Craig Wich2 !!! ... in ... The Mystery of the Monster Chiller Horror Rock Star Death Roll-Call !!!!!!

Jim

boblipton

PostWed Jan 10, 2018 3:43 pm

Jim Roots wrote:
Danny Burk wrote:

Tonight on Monster Chiller Horror Theatre ... Donald Binks IS Craig Wich2 !!! ... in ... The Mystery of the Monster Chiller Horror Rock Star Death Roll-Call !!!!!!

Jim

Well, we've established some time back that I am also S.W.A.C. Now we need to know who you also are, Jim.

Bob
“Oh, yeah, I’ve been there. Pretty cool place. The people who live there? They love it. They’re nuts.”

That we do. And that we are.
-- James Lilek

Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

• Location: Born in L.A...NYC is 2nd home...Rustbelt is home base

PostThu Jan 11, 2018 8:36 am

All Darc wrote:That's the point. But people have prejudice.
I remamber a family member, who says that dislike B&W and change channel, once watch a good B&W film cause there was nothing else on TV to watch. The story was interesting in she wanted to know the end.

One problem today, with internet, is that people have a lot of options to choose, and can change even if dislike the first minute. On TV people had to wait till the time to film begin, and was used by the TV "be the projectionist" while today people are the "projectionists.

bigshot wrote:Perhaps it's best to just focus on quality and not age.

Yes, agreed.

Watching a films used to be an event, now you could never hope to see even a fraction of what is produced in a lifetime.

I hear the same thing about BW movies. The good thing about the oldies is they are manageable to deal with in that there was a limited amount produced and you can do a good job by concentrating on a few collection areas.

The young people are also having to deal with job insecurity issues, no pensions and the trend towards minimalism and buying experience over owning stuff. It is not only films, but antiques and collectables of all sorts.

Metaldams

PostSun Jan 21, 2018 9:30 pm

My experience. I am 39 years old, have been a silent film fanatic somewhere between 15 - 20 years and to this day, have never once met a person outside the Internet who shares an interest in silent film. Black and white talkie films, a little bit, but never once with silent film....so thank God places like Nitrateville exist!

I too am one who finds interest in a topic and like to learn the history of it. I got interested in silent comedy because I grew up watching The Three Stooges and learned their writers and gags worked with and appeared with guys named Keaton and Lloyd. I train a lot of younger people at my job, 90's pop culture is too old for some, nevermind silents. That's OK, as long as they all stay off my lawn. :D
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... khWDJnWdqx" target="_blank

Click above to see why I'm the loudest silent film fan in the world. \m/

maliejandra

PostMon Jan 22, 2018 6:59 am

Metaldams, you should go to a film convention like Cinevent. Being around so many people who share the same film interest as you in the flesh is wonderfully intoxicating.

Metaldams

PostMon Jan 22, 2018 6:46 pm

maliejandra wrote:Metaldams, you should go to a film convention like Cinevent. Being around so many people who share the same film interest as you in the flesh is wonderfully intoxicating.

I really should get to some film event, you're right. The trip and experience would do me good.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... khWDJnWdqx" target="_blank

Click above to see why I'm the loudest silent film fan in the world. \m/

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostMon Jan 22, 2018 9:58 pm

There's still time to get things together, even for the Kansas Silent Film Festival in February!

If you look at the NitrateVille Radio shows, there are several segments relating to different fests around the country including Cinevent, Capitolfest, The Nitrate Picture Show and others.
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier
Previous

Return to Talkie News