3-D Restorations From 3-D Film Archive/Kino Lorber at MoMA

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

MattBarry

3-D Restorations From 3-D Film Archive/Kino Lorber at MoMA

PostWed Aug 23, 2017 10:47 am

Kino Lorber's Releases of Restored 3-D Classics from the 3-D Film Archive Screening at The Museum of Modern Art and Alamo Drafthouse Yonkers in September

Kino Lorber's releases of the 3-D Film Archive's restorations of classic 3-D films will enjoy a week-long spotlight at The Museum of Modern Art with "3-D Funhouse: Recent Restorations from the 3-D Film Archive", from September 1-10, 2017, and at the Alamo Drafthouse Yonkers as part of "3-Delirium" throughout September and October.

Included in MoMA's series are the adventure classic September Storm (1960), directed by Byron Haskin and starring Joanne Dru and Mark Stevens (September 1, 3 and 9), the sci-fi cult favorite Gog (1954), directed by Herbert L. Strock and starring Richard Egan (September 2, 4, and 10), and the Technicolor musical Those Redheads from Seattle (1953), directed by Lewis R. Foster and starring Rhonda Fleming, Gene Barry, Agnes Moorehead and The Bell Sisters (September 2, 4 and 7).

The "3-Delirium" series at Alamo Drafthouse Yonkers will include September Storm on September 10, Julian Roffman's psychotronic cult classic The Mask (1961) on September 11, Arch Oboler's sci-fi thriller The Bubble (1966) on September 18, Those Redheads from Seattle on September 30, and the Korean monster movie A*P*E* (1976) on October 15. (Also included in the "3-Delirium" series on September 30 will be Jean-Luc Godard's groundbreaking 3-D film Goodbye to Language, released by Kino Lorber in 2014.)

Founded in 1990 by award-winning producer, author and motion picture archivist Robert Furmanek, the 3-D Film Archive is the only organization in the world dedicated to the unique goal of preserving 3-D films and has located and restored original 3-D prints of more than thirty features and two dozen shorts from the "Golden Age" of 3-D cinema.

Originally a one-man operation until Furmanek was joined by Greg Kintz and Jack Theakston 15 years ago, the 3-D Film Archive has worked to ensure that our 3-D film heritage is preserved for future generations. Most recently, digital restoration artist Thad Komorowski and audio expert Eckhard Büttner have joined the Archive team to remove decades of damage on the original elements and recreate the lost three-channel stereophonic sound as originally heard in theaters.

"I have spent more than thirty-five years working to save, restore and preserve our stereoscopic film heritage," said Robert Furmanek, founder of the 3-D Film Archive. "Were it not for our efforts, most of this material would have been lost or remained buried in the vaults, never to be seen again."

Kino Lorber has released several restorations by the 3-D Film Archive on 3-D Blu-ray, including the cult classics The Bubble, The Mask, APE, and The Stewardesses, as well as three of the films included in MoMA's upcoming showcase of the 3-D Film Archive's work, September Storm, Gog, and most recently, Those Redheads from Seattle (which holds the distinction of being the first-ever 3-D musical).

Kino Lorber has made these restorations available in deluxe Blu-ray editions packed with special features, often including audio commentaries and restoration demonstrations from the 3-D Film Archive staff, giving audiences a chance to appreciate the meticulous and painstaking work that the Archive puts in to making the films look and sound as good as possible, and their commitment and dedication to preserving this unique area of film history. DVDTalk called the 3-D presentation on Kino Lorber's Blu-ray release of Gog "nothing short of a miracle and the release is a must-own not just for fans of 3D but film preservation in general."

Furmanek said, "I am truly honored to have this recognition of our work. Presenting them on 3-D Blu-ray and in such venues as MoMA and the Alamo Drafthouse is the culmination of my original goal for the 3-D Film Archive. We are absolutely delighted to work with Kino Lorber to preserve as much as possible of our stereoscopic film heritage."

Kino Lorber's releases of the 3-D Film Archive restorations of September Storm, Gog, and Those Redheads from Seattle will screen as part of MoMA's "3-D Funhouse" series from September 1-10, and September Storm, Gog, Those Redheads from Seattle, The Mask, The Bubble and A*P*E* (as well as Jean-Luc Godard's acclaimed 3-D film Goodbye to Language, also from Kino Lorber) will screen at the Alamo Drafthouse Yonkers "3-Delirium" series throughout September.

For more information about the 3-D Film Archive, please visit http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/.
__
Matt Barry
Kino Lorber, Inc.

silentfilm

Re: 3-D Restorations From 3-D Film Archive/Kino Lorber at Mo

PostWed Aug 23, 2017 11:09 am

Is there any chance that these will be coming to any other Alamo Drafthouses around the country?

MattBarry

PostWed Aug 23, 2017 7:57 pm

I do not have any details at this time about screenings of these 3-D films at other Alamo Drafthouse markets, but I will be sure to keep you posted if I learn of any down the road.
__
Matt Barry
Kino Lorber, Inc.

2 Reel

PostThu Aug 31, 2017 10:11 am

Would love to see these. I recall seeing in a movie theater, back in the 1980s, a documentary about the history of 3D movies, and there were black & white 3D films from the early silent film era in that compilation. I've long forgotten the name of the compilation. Film trade journals dating back to the early 1910s reveal that there were many attempts at 3D production, but the technique never caught on until the 1950s.
They call me "Dangerous Dal"

boblipton

PostThu Aug 31, 2017 10:27 am

I'll be reporting on them, beginning tomorrow.

Bob
The matter is complicated, and I shall proceed to complicate it still more.

-- Avram Davidson

Return to Talkie News