BBC's 100 Funniest Movies of All Time

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

Brooksie

BBC's 100 Funniest Movies of All Time

PostThu Aug 24, 2017 11:08 am

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20170821-the-100-greatest-comedies-of-all-time

Here is another of those 'best of' lists that is sure to provoke plenty of discussion. There are six silents if you include City Lights (nothing pre-1920 - the earliest on the list is Safety Last ), two of which made the top twenty, plus a good smattering of pre-1950 stuff.

boblipton

Re: BBC's 100 Funniest Movies of All Time

PostThu Aug 24, 2017 11:11 am

Some days, I think people post these lists just to irritate me.

Bob
The matter is complicated, and I shall proceed to complicate it still more.

-- Avram Davidson

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostThu Aug 24, 2017 12:02 pm

Honestly, I didn't think it was so bad. At least there's some silent representation, and relatively little that makes me want to claw my eyes out (though The Hangover isn't funny at all except for the Asian guy; I could pretty much drown everyone else in that picture, happily). The best modern straight-up-comedy (Talladega Nights) is missing, as is the best comedy of the 70s (The In-Laws). And Life of Brian isn't 1/10th as funny as Holy Grail, let alone one of the ten best comedies of all time.

The real prejudice is against shorts more than silents— my best would have to include things like Big Business, The Immigrant, The Goat, Hog Wild... not to mention What's Opera Doc and Red Hot Riding Hood.

The coincidence of the tie for #100 is too cute for words.
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

bigshot

PostThu Aug 24, 2017 1:27 pm

Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie is a real LAFF RIOT! But no W C Fields

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostThu Aug 24, 2017 1:44 pm

Discreet Charm has a few laugh out loud moments, at least to me. Exterminating Angel is more funny strange than funny haha.

I used this scene in a creativity presentation once to demonstrate the power of playing comedy absolutely deadpan. It's from The Phantom of Liberty:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2k3meo

Jump ahead to about 2:15.
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

Saint-Just

PostThu Aug 24, 2017 4:22 pm

Seeing Blazing Saddles directly ahead of City Lights on this list just makes me want to retch. Some Like It Hot at number one - predictable. I find it to be the single most overrated movie in history.

Donald Binks

PostThu Aug 24, 2017 5:02 pm

Like all these lists - it's purely a matter of personal taste. I must say though that there are a few pictures on this list I didn't find the remotest bit funny?
Regards from
Donald Binks

"So, she said: "Elly, it's no use letting Lou have the sherry glasses..."She won't appreciate them,
she won't polish them..."You know what she's like." So I said:..."

maliejandra

PostFri Aug 25, 2017 6:03 am

I don't understand why people love Annie Hall so much. I love Woody Allen but I find that to be one of his weaker movies and I definitely don't think it is especially funny.

R Michael Pyle

PostFri Aug 25, 2017 8:21 am

Hey, at least my favorite comedy film of all time is their number 1, too... As for the rest of them - I literally have never heard of nearly one-half of them! And what's even worse, I couldn't care less...

MaryGH

PostFri Aug 25, 2017 8:25 am

What happened to "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World"? It is not even included on this list.

I would have put "The Big Lebowski" in the top 5, not at #11.
Petition: Turner Enter./Warner Bros: Please digitalize Tom Tyler's FBO silent film westerns

http://bit.ly/2ueCvHe
---
Aventuras de Tom Tyler

http://triggertomblog.blogspot.com/

oldposterho

PostFri Aug 25, 2017 1:16 pm

Overall a pretty good compilation, although the order seems fairly arbitrary. My real quibble is Pulp Fiction. It definitely has some comic moments but 'funny'? Really?

earlytalkiebuffRob

PostFri Aug 25, 2017 1:39 pm

Mike Gebert wrote:Honestly, I didn't think it was so bad. At least there's some silent representation, and relatively little that makes me want to claw my eyes out (though The Hangover isn't funny at all except for the Asian guy; I could pretty much drown everyone else in that picture, happily). The best modern straight-up-comedy (Talladega Nights) is missing, as is the best comedy of the 70s (The In-Laws). And Life of Brian isn't 1/10th as funny as Holy Grail, let alone one of the ten best comedies of all time.

The real prejudice is against shorts more than silents— my best would have to include things like Big Business, The Immigrant, The Goat, Hog Wild... not to mention What's Opera Doc and Red Hot Riding Hood.

The coincidence of the tie for #100 is too cute for words.

Interesting to see your comments on THE LIFE OF BRIAN, which I seemed to be almost alone in finding overrated. Amusing in parts, yes, but not that good. And unless I'm going potty, there was no SIR HENRY AT RAWLINSON END, which had me chuckling for days afterwards. My late partner thought I was mad and that the film seemed silly, but that was the point. Whether I shall react the same on a second viewing, I wonder...

earlytalkiebuffRob

PostFri Aug 25, 2017 1:43 pm

maliejandra wrote:I don't understand why people love Annie Hall so much. I love Woody Allen but I find that to be one of his weaker movies and I definitely don't think it is especially funny.

I saw ANNIE HALL on first release, and was disappointed with it, although the first half seemed better than the second. Out of the Allen films I have seen, I probably like ZELIG the best, although there was a very tragic side to it.

Donald Binks

PostFri Aug 25, 2017 3:49 pm

Is there anyone else who thinks "International House" with the Great Man should have got a Guernsey? Quite frankly I would have put it in the top 10.
Regards from
Donald Binks

"So, she said: "Elly, it's no use letting Lou have the sherry glasses..."She won't appreciate them,

boblipton

PostFri Aug 25, 2017 6:00 pm

Any list that doesn't include Blue Blazes Rawden and The Exorcist is composed by people with no senses of humor.

Bob
The matter is complicated, and I shall proceed to complicate it still more.

-- Avram Davidson

Jim Roots

PostSat Aug 26, 2017 11:58 am

Mike Gebert wrote:The real prejudice is against shorts more than silents— my best would have to include things like Big Business, The Immigrant, The Goat, Hog Wild... not to mention What's Opera Doc and Red Hot Riding Hood.

Then, Mike, you must LOVE my new book, 100 Essential Silent Film Comedies. It's the ONLY book that gives equal opportunity to comedies of any length, from 10 seconds to 10 reels.

Go buy it, man!

Jim

Jim Roots

PostSat Aug 26, 2017 12:02 pm

Peter Howell, film critic of the Toronto Star for the past 25 or so years, is almost the only critic whose judgment I trust. He vindicated my respect again this week with his column about the BBC list. He was one of the contributors or voters to the list, and he listed his own top-ten choices in the article. Number one on his list is The Great Dictator and number three is Safety Last! Although Dictator is not a silent, it is imbued with the comedy of the silent era.

Jim

bigshot

PostSat Aug 26, 2017 12:19 pm

Donald Binks wrote:Is there anyone else who thinks "International House" with the Great Man should have got a Guernsey? Quite frankly I would have put it in the top 10.

It's A Gift would be number 1 for me

earlytalkiebuffRob

PostSat Aug 26, 2017 12:34 pm

bigshot wrote:
Donald Binks wrote:Is there anyone else who thinks "International House" with the Great Man should have got a Guernsey? Quite frankly I would have put it in the top 10.

It's A Gift would be number 1 for me

I felt that INTERNATIONAL HOUSE was one of the best of the unseen Fields films which were in the set issued several years ago.

bigshot

PostSun Aug 27, 2017 12:40 pm

He's kind of a "guest star" in that film, like he is in Big Broadcast of 1938. Those really aren't Fields films, they're all star vehicles with Fields in them. The pure Fields films are the best. I really like the films where he's a downtrodden dad with a horrible wife and annoying children. As a kid, Fields didn't appeal to me, but in my middle age, I think he is up there with Keaton and Chaplin and Lloyd. It's A Gift is just about the most perfect comedy film I've ever seen. The pacing is brilliant and Fields surrounds himself with the best character actors possible. He knows that with his character, the struggle is the whole act, so the ending takes place in one very quick scene that puts a bow on it. I've read a little bit by Fields about his theories of comedy. He was self effacing and held his cards close to his chest, but you can tell in the movies he had control over, he knew exactly what he was doing. I can't imagine a list of the funniest movies without Fields on it, but this list is just that.

Donald Binks

PostSun Aug 27, 2017 3:49 pm

[quote="bigshot"...]He's kind of a "guest star" in that film,[/quote]

The Great Man doesn't appear in "International House" until about the third reel and in my humble opinion the comedy becomes heightened due to and from his appearance. Franklyn Pangborn as the hotel manager is in one of his best roles in this film. I agree too that "It's A Gift" is a riot, Either one of them should have been on the list. (Maybe it was not politically correct to put someone on the list who took the occasional libation fairly regularly?)
Regards from
Donald Binks

IA

PostMon Aug 28, 2017 4:39 pm

Mike Gebert wrote:And Life of Brian isn't 1/10th as funny as Holy Grail, let alone one of the ten best comedies of all time.

This might be a cultural issue--in the US Holy Grail is by far the most popular Python film. But in the UK Life of Brian definitely occupies that position. Speaking as an American anglophile, I'd say that Grail has the funnier set-pieces but Brian holds together better as a comedy feature. But I also think Meaning of Life was better than both.

Saint-Just

PostMon Aug 28, 2017 6:16 pm

I just noticed that the South Park movie is on this list, which invalidates the entire list completely.

As a Midwestern American I find Life of Brian to be Python's best film - Meaning of Life has some good bits and some bad bits with no cohesive narrative to hold the whole thing together.,

drednm

PostTue Aug 29, 2017 9:51 am

This list likely makes the list of 100 stupidest movie polls.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
https://wordpress.com/view/silentroomdo ... dpress.com

R Michael Pyle

PostTue Aug 29, 2017 12:45 pm

drednm wrote:This list likely makes the list of 100 stupidest movie polls.

Well, to leave off ANY W. C. Fields film of any sort is nonsense. And, too, I think Will Hay probably deserves to be on the list, too. It's as if all history before 1960 is too vague to remember - OR - the humor of our ancestors - my parents included - isn't funny much anymore, just a tad of it. Today's sophomoric, entitled, wiser-than-before, and PC generation can't even tell you the date of happenings before 1980. Everybody today is a 'legend', especially comedians and comediennes who've been on stage before a thousand people or who've made a successful DVD.

Return to Talkie News