One Million B.C. blu-ray

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

bigshot

One Million B.C. blu-ray

PostSun Sep 03, 2017 12:25 pm

I just got the new blu-ray of One Million B.C. and projected it last night. The transfer is great. Sharp and clear with full sound. There is a tendency for the shadows to black up, but that is probably how it was shot. The added resolution reveals the rear projection effects and paper mache rocks, but it also adds a lot to the outdoor location footage. There is one overhead camera shot that moves through a massive set that is very impressive. I've only seen this film from 16mm TV prints on Tom Hatten's show on Channel 5, so seeing it like this was a pleasure. Well worth picking up.

moviepas

Re: One Million B.C. blu-ray

PostThu Sep 07, 2017 12:55 am

Yesterday, Sept 6 in Australia I got an e-mail cancelling my order for Topper and his followed another e-mail cancelling my order for One Million BC. In both cases saying they were unavailable. Haven't had one of those e-mails for a long time. They never make sense and mess up my ordering.

bigshot

PostThu Sep 07, 2017 5:39 pm

I think the distributor underestimated the demand and did too small of an initial run. They're ordering more copies to be manufactured now, so it will come back in stock again eventually. Weird way to do business.

ClayKing

PostThu Sep 07, 2017 6:56 pm

My pre-order from Amazon (U.S.) was canceled - I then ordered it directly from VCI at a competitive price.
-Rich

ClayKing

PostWed Sep 13, 2017 2:59 pm

I watched it last night. Good picture quality, mediocre audio, sounding like too much dnr. I enjoyed the film, a childhood favorite. It's a simple story but very well done and entertaining. The special effects were outstanding for its time, and the shot of the woman being sucked under the flowing lava still packs a punch.
-Rich

s.w.a.c.

PostWed Sep 13, 2017 4:11 pm

Had no idea VCI had put this out, they release such an interesting and broad mix of classic film, usually I get a newsletter or something from them, but I guess I've fallen off their email wagon.

Here's the link to buy the blu-ray directly from them. They also have it on DVD.
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

s.w.a.c.

PostMon Oct 16, 2017 6:37 am

There are apparently some artifacting issues with the One Million B.C. blu-ray, and the company is preparing replacement discs. So if you didn't get an order in, consider yourself lucky. Here's what the company posted on blu-ray.com

This is the head "clown" at VCI and I'm here to report that we blew this Blu.

The anomaly (vertical jaggy) which has been reported here, is something that we haven't seen before and aren't yet sure what caused it. Still, this should not have gotten through our final QC. In our defense (and I admit I'm just trying to save face here...) the anomaly is very apparent when you are watching the Blu-ray via your VLC player on a computer, at less than a couple feet from away the screen. It is not so apparent (and obviously we didn't catch it) if you are watching it on a 60" widescreen HD monitor at a comfortable viewing distance from across the room. And for what it's worth, I would also like to note that the DVD is OK. We will be reviewing and beefing up our QC efforts going forward though.

So, we are already working on a do-over of the Blu-ray and for any customer who purchased the jaggy version and whose eyes are better than mine and the jaggy version is annoyingly noticeable -- we will replace their bad disc at no charge. We need to work out the details on the replacement program and will let everyone know the plan when it is ready.

This Blu-ray glitch is doubly embarrassing, as this movie is one of my personal childhood favorites. We have worked on acquiring a license to the film for several years and the mastering and authoring process has taken us several more months. I apologize for letting down some of the many fans that love this movie too and pledge we will make it right.

Thanks for listening.
Bob Blair, President VCI Entertainment
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

bigshot

PostMon Oct 16, 2017 9:15 am

It's a very subtle artifact. I watched the whole movie and never noticed it. My system may have corrected it. It's been a while and we haven't heard from VCI on a schedule for replacement discs or a way to request them when they're ready. We'll see. I'm happy with the blu-ray regardless.

ClayKing

PostMon Oct 16, 2017 12:25 pm

I never noticed it either, but I watched it on my 65" plasma. I couldn't check playback on my PC - blu-rays won't play back using VLC (even after installing AACS files). My Nero 2015 software won't play any newer blu-rays (critical error), and customer support said they've since dropped the blu-ray player from their product. Since I virtually never watch a blu-ray on my PC it's not a problem, just one of those nuisances.
-Rich

Return to Talkie News