UFA films on Arte 11 Sept.

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

barry byrne

UFA films on Arte 11 Sept.

PostSun Sep 10, 2017 2:04 am

As part of a commemoration of the 100th Anniversary of UFA, the Arte channel are running two UFA talkies tomorrow night, 11 September.

At 19.15 Gluckskinder - with Lilian Harvey.
At 20.45 Titanic - the 1943 version.

(A revision of their website relatively recently has expanded information but it makes navigation a bit more difficult)

brendangcarroll

Re: UFA films on Arte 11 Sept.

PostMon Sep 11, 2017 3:56 am

I wonder if we'll ever see Lillian Harvey's American fims made for 20th C Fox? I keep hoping....
"Korngold has so much talent he could give half away and still have enough left for himself..." Giacomo Puccini (1921)

barry byrne

PostMon Sep 11, 2017 5:05 am

They seem to have recast their schedule somewhat with the first movie now starting at 19.50 today.

barry byrne

PostMon Sep 11, 2017 8:59 am

Strange

While the Arte website offered the revised different timings shown above, the information still on the T.V. channel proposes the original timings for both of the UFA films :?:

oldposterho

PostMon Sep 11, 2017 4:54 pm

Both of these are now on the Arte website.

moviepas

PostThu Sep 14, 2017 5:08 am

The Blu ray of Titanic(1943) is due for release on KIno-Lorber soon. I just got the 1944 Agfacolor Opergang this week(Blu ray) and the restoration is brilliant with a noiseless soundtrack. The masked ball sequence is unbelievable in its color and costume design. Unfortunately they don't have subtitles on the film.

barry byrne

PostThu Sep 14, 2017 6:05 am

The Arte HD broadcast print shown of Gluckskinder was simply beautiful, with deep blacks and remarkable depth of field. It was run with both French and German soundtracks, but no available subtitles.

Titanic was pretty good too, especially the scenes in the salon, but was only offered in German language, with no available subtitles, not even French.

Both were Murnau foundation restorations, as was Baron Munchhausen which was also transmitted yesterday.

brianwyn

PostThu Sep 21, 2017 2:59 pm

For anyone confused about the times, Arte run two channels, the French one and the German one. Films on the French channel tend to start around 19:50/19:55 GMT in the evenings, whereas on the German channel they start at 19:15 GMT. I warched it on French Arte which certainly did have subtitles in French, but nowadays they only broadcast the DVB subs, not the old teletext ones. German Arte still has teletext subs in German, and there's a repeat of Gluckskinder scheduled at lunchtime on 27th if you want to try recording it again.

I hope that they'll have a few more of these early UFA films some time soon, and even more that they'll dig out some of the multi language films and do what they did a couple of years ago. Usually both versions of Arte have the same film (although the French channel often also broadcasts the original language soundtrack as well), but when German Arte showed Die Drei von der Tankstelle, French Arte broadcast instead Le chemin du paradis with Henri Garat in the Willy Fritsch role. And in a beautifully restored print too, and I've no idea who paid for that since I've not seen a DVD for sale anywhere.

LouieD

PostThu Sep 21, 2017 7:54 pm

brendangcarroll wrote:I wonder if we'll ever see Lillian Harvey's American fims made for 20th C Fox? I keep hoping....

I've seen two of them.

Return to Talkie News