DVD Release Schedule for Classic Films?

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

Phillyrich

DVD Release Schedule for Classic Films?

PostTue Sep 12, 2017 2:42 pm

I've been hoping for a number of films to appear at Warner Archives, or Universal Vault Collection, etc. Is there anywhere, an upcoming release schedule for classic films on dvd?

Really like to see: "The Lost Squadron (1932)," "History Is Made At Night (1937), "The Face Behind the Mask (1941),","Desire (1936),"Hide-Out (1934)" and a few others finally come out.

Anybody have any of these films as favorites?

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

Re: DVD Release Schedule for Classic Films?

PostTue Sep 12, 2017 2:45 pm

History Is Made at Night is a Walter Wanger production. Criterion seems to have rights-- it was available at one time via their Hulu channel, don't know about Filmstruck-- but the report I've heard is that there is not good enough material surviving to warrant a release, at least by their standards.
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

Harold Aherne

PostTue Sep 12, 2017 6:57 pm

Desire is available in the Universal Vault collection (MOD) or, if you want a pressed disc, in a "Hollywood Icons" set with three other Dietrichs. Both are R1.

-HA

ClayKing

PostWed Sep 13, 2017 3:04 pm

Phillyrich wrote:I've been hoping for a number of films to appear at Warner Archives, or Universal Vault Collection, etc. Is there anywhere, an upcoming release schedule for classic films on dvd?

Really like to see: "The Lost Squadron (1932)," "History Is Made At Night (1937), "The Face Behind the Mask (1941),","Desire (1936),"Hide-Out (1934)" and a few others finally come out.

Anybody have any of these films as favorites?

"Face Behind the Mask" is apparently pd, and is available from Sinister Cinema.
-Rich

Ray Faiola

PostWed Sep 13, 2017 4:41 pm

THE FACE BEHIND THE MASK P.D.??? If so, 1940 was a bad year for Columbia! First I've heard of that title.
Classic Film Scores on CD
http://www.chelsearialtostudios.com

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostWed Sep 13, 2017 5:58 pm

I suspect people just think it's P.D. because it's easy to find grey market copies at conventions and collectibles stores (where I bought mine).
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

Return to Talkie News