Harvey Weinstein

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

Rick Lanham

Re: Harvey Weinstein

PostFri Nov 03, 2017 6:09 pm

“The past is never dead. It's not even past” - Faulkner.

greta de groat

PostFri Nov 03, 2017 9:06 pm

wich2 wrote:There's some truth there -

- and yet, the problem isn't just among Celebs.

It's as common, if not moreso, among the powerful in every business.

-Craig

You know, i sure hope this is different for younger women, but i suspect it isn't. In my day, your lot in life as a female was to be subject not only to harassment from people in some kind of position in authority, but to have random bozos of any age or social standing feel entitled to hitting on your or copping a feel. And if you objected, they would just say "hey, you can't take a joke, har har har," rubbing in the sexual harrassment with a dose of bullying. We always talk about how movies reflect the morays of society--so look at the movies we watch. It's not only the villains in the movies, it's often the heroes too, a stranger pursuing the heroine in a manner that looks less like courtship and more like stalking. How often do we see a working woman character being pestered not only by their bosses, but by customers, co-workers, the messenger boy, any guy they happen to run into. You get the pretty clear picture that any man "outranks" any woman, it's not just the prerogative of the powerful. Maybe you guys don't notice the "microaggression" as it's come to be called, but as a woman, i sure notice it.

I'm glad to be seeing big names finally being called out for this, but folks are acting like this is an anomaly. Unfortunately it isn't.

greta
Greta de Groat
Unsung Divas of the Silent Screen
http://www.stanford.edu/~gdegroat

linquist

PostSat Nov 04, 2017 7:01 am

And if you objected, they'd say you can't take a joke "har, har,har..."

That reminds me of a manager I once worked with who like to tweek the nipples of every man he talked with as a joke. he was also a sexual harasser. With some of these guys, I get the impression that they never grew out of middle school and they still live in the land of discovering puberty. These issues probably existed before they gained power but power gives them the ability to abuse the problem. They were just one of many guys who, at one time, couldn't conceive of a life without personal sexual excitement at the expense of the women in their lives.

Zool

PostSun Nov 05, 2017 12:50 pm

Recent news claims NYPD is building a case against Weinstein. Let's hope it actually happens. Not prosecuting this monster would be a disgrace. He deserves to rot in prison. Actually, it would be better if he'd just off himself already. But he's too much of a narcissistic psychopath to do that.

Here's the story...
"Are we ourselves, and do we really know?"

George O'Brien.net

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostMon Nov 06, 2017 6:16 pm

A subject that had already exhausted actual news was now veering into politics. Accordingly, I removed those posts and am locking it now.
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier
Previous

Return to Talkie News