Harvey Weinstein

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

Bob Furem

Re: Harvey Weinstein

PostMon Oct 09, 2017 11:29 pm

Mike Gebert wrote:
My post was deleted as too political!

As it would be here. The silent film backer Hefner is a relevant subject here, so there's some (limited) room for approving or disapproving of him, though I don't find either all that informative (you surely know what you think of the Playboy lifestyle by now). Weinstein, well, he's in a long tradition of rapacious moguls, sadly. But Trump is off topic, plainly—and this place is, in general, a refuge from the politicization of everything online.

Got it, Mike.

wich2

PostTue Oct 10, 2017 10:27 am

Donald Binks wrote:Whilst I don't condone his alleged actions - I would have preferred him to have stood his trial in a court of law.

Informational post:

It is a matter of record, Donald, that that did not happen - several times, actually - precisely because he bought his way out of that situation beforehand.

There's an old Mark Twain line to the effect of, "some of you are women - and the rest of you have had a great deal to do with women!"

As one of the latter, I stand with the former in being glad to see this rancid MAD MEN -style sexuality be exposed, more and more, to the disinfectant of sunlight. Clinton, Cosby, Hefner, Ailes, O'Reilly, Weinstein, and likely many more to fall.

And that's good for everyone, in the long run.

-Craig

Donald Binks

PostTue Oct 10, 2017 2:40 pm

wich2 wrote:
Donald Binks wrote:Whilst I don't condone his alleged actions - I would have preferred him to have stood his trial in a court of law.

Informational post:

It is a matter of record, Donald, that that did not happen - several times, actually - precisely because he bought his way out of that situation beforehand.

-Craig

Then we add bribery and corruption to the list of charges that hopefully will one day be laid against him leading to his trial.
Regards from
Donald Binks

"I was in love with a beautiful blonde one time. She led me to drink. It's the only thing I'm thankful to her for."

drednm

PostTue Oct 10, 2017 2:52 pm

Louis B. Mayer would be in shreds in today's era of tweet storms and social media instant news.

I simply do NOT understand this kind of behavior. Never have. Never will.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
http://www.amazon.com/Edward-Lorusso/e/ ... 203&sr=8-1

Donald Binks

PostTue Oct 10, 2017 3:03 pm

Whilst I am not saying it applies in the present discussion, I would say that a lot of downright gossip appears in the press these days as news. This is to be abhorred - and as Ed has said, it now has its tentacles tangled around "Twitter" posts and in other social media.

Rebel Wilson recently sued the publishers of tripe here in Oz for libel through the Supreme Court and has been awarded $4.5 millions in damages. One would think that a result such as this would make someone think - but I doubt it will.
Regards from
Donald Binks

"I was in love with a beautiful blonde one time. She led me to drink. It's the only thing I'm thankful to her for."

wich2

PostTue Oct 10, 2017 7:54 pm

drednm wrote:I simply do NOT understand this kind of behavior. Never have. Never will.

Which behavior?

The wretched, un-manly excesses of these "men"?

Or the fact they aren't as able to sweep same under the rug as easily anymore?

wingate

PostWed Oct 11, 2017 2:23 am

I have just finished reading Esther Raltons autobiog.She tells in great detail of the advances made to her by Mayer ,how she rebuffed them and how he threatened to blackball her,and stop her froom working.

boblipton

PostWed Oct 11, 2017 7:42 am

Mike Gebert wrote:
My post was deleted as too political!

As it would be here. The silent film backer Hefner is a relevant subject here, so there's some (limited) room for approving or disapproving of him, though I don't find either all that informative (you surely know what you think of the Playboy lifestyle by now). Weinstein, well, he's in a long tradition of rapacious moguls, sadly. But Trump is off topic, plainly—and this place is, in general, a refuge from the politicization of everything online.

The unfortunate politicization of everything online.

Bob
To remain ignorant of what occurred before before you were born is to remain forever a child.
-- Marcus Tullius Cicero

drednm

PostWed Oct 11, 2017 10:36 am

wich2 wrote:
drednm wrote:I simply do NOT understand this kind of behavior. Never have. Never will.

Which behavior?

Any and all forms of sexual harassment by the powerful. It seems to be (and always has been) part of the "power corrupts" syndrome.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
http://www.amazon.com/Edward-Lorusso/e/ ... 203&sr=8-1

Zool

PostWed Oct 11, 2017 12:41 pm

His behavior is beyond sexual harassment. It's beyond a man who wasn't raised by his parents to be a gentleman, chivalrous, respectful, etc.

Groping someone, pleasuring yourself when you've cornered a member of the opposite sex, is sexual assault! Weinstein is a sexual predator. Only two things are good enough for sex offenders like him, a life prison sentence, or even better, a bullet to the head.
Larry Parker got me 2.1 million.

George O'Brien.net

wich2

PostWed Oct 11, 2017 1:56 pm

drednm wrote:
wich2 wrote:

Which behavior?

Any and all forms of sexual harassment by the powerful. It seems to be (and always has been) part of the "power corrupts" syndrome.

Understood, Ed - and I could not agree more.

Ailes, Clinton, Cosby, Hefner, O'Reilly, Trump, Weinstein and the prodigious numbers of their ilk - a pox on all their houses.

JFK

Six Degrees of Harvey Weinstein

PostWed Oct 11, 2017 2:44 pm

Hollywood Reporter- Seth MacFarlane Explains 2013 Oscars Jab at "Abhorrent, Indefensible" Harvey Weinstein

Semi-Related stories
Washington Post- Ben Affleck condemned Harvey Weinstein — then apologized for groping an actress on MTV
Wikipedia- Casey Affleck 2010 Lawsuits
Wikipedia-Arnold Schwarzenegger-Allegations of sexual misconduct

ImageImageImageImage
Celebrity, one of Woody Allen’s Miramax Films, featured both DiCaprio and Donald Trump. Wonder Wheel, Woody Allen’s latest production- and Amazon Studio’s first theatrical release- was presided over by Roy Price, who was suspended this month for - among other alleged actions- insistently propositioning film producer Isa Dick Hackett (47 at the time), telling her "You will love my di*k.”
“Hackett says she made clear to Price she was not interested and told him that she is a lesbian with a wife and children.Hackett says Price did not relent in the cab or once they arrived at the Amazon party. As she talked with other executives, she says that Price stepped close to her and loudly said, “Anal sex!” in her ear.
Hackett says she reported the incident to Amazon executives immediately. An outside investigator, Christine Farrell of Public Interest Investigations Inc., was brought in and spoke to Hackett and executives at Amazon. Hackett says she was never told the outcome of that inquiry, but notes that she hasn’t seen Price at any events involving her shows.”

Kate Winslet, Wonder Wheel’s star- whose first film, and the film for which she won an Oscar, were both produced by Weinstein- worked in 2011 with Polanski, who was recently accused by a fourth woman of having been sexually assaulted by the director while in her teens.
Woody Allen- Mariel Hemingway's former "suitor" (see below) - unwisely commented on the allegations against Weinstein, warning of a “witch hunt.” Could he perhaps be planning an update of The Front, with the stars of Miramax’s Swingers- Jon Favreau and Heather Graham - portraying, respectively, Weinstein and herself, one of Weinstein’s alleged victims.
Last edited by JFK on Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:57 am, edited 4 times in total.

Donald Binks

PostWed Oct 11, 2017 2:50 pm

JFK wrote:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/academy-calls-harvey-weinstein-claims-repugnant-calls-emergency-meeting-1047834
"While Weinstein's behavior has drawn condemnation, it may not specifically violate Academy rules, which mostly govern Oscar campaigning. The 8,427-member organization has only expelled one person in its 90-year history: Carmine Caridi, an actor who was found to have violated the Academy's no-loaning screener policy after copies of movies that had been sent to him turned up online. But the Academy, as a private organization, technically does have great leverage over who it does and does not include in its ranks.
The Academy stopped short of kicking Weinstein out of the organization today, but it left the door open in its statement to taking "other actions." One reservation that it may have about disciplining Weinstein for his personal behavior is that doing so would then create the expectation that it would adjudicate the behavior of other members caught up in scandals.
The Academy, which admits members for life, does not make public a list of its members' names, but THR has independently confirmed that Mel Gibson, Roman Polanski and even Bill Cosby are on the rolls. Woody Allen never became a member. (Meanwhile, the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences numbers Donald Trump among its ranks.)
The only prior occasion on which the Academy got into the business of adjudicating the personal behavior of its members was during the Red Scare, when it briefly banned blacklisted writers — who were reported to be, or had been in the past, supporters of the Communist Party — from being eligible for Academy Awards. That is now considered one of the black marks in Academy history. Several of those writers, working under pseudonyms, actually won Oscars, but not all lived to see the day when the organization apologized to the real writers and presented them with the statuettes that were rightfully theirs."

I can now fully and better appreciate Groucho Marx's line "I wouldn't join a club that'd have me as a member!"
Regards from
Donald Binks

wich2

PostWed Oct 11, 2017 3:46 pm

I won't stop watching the Oscars occasionally, but...

When he was still among us, they floated the idea of giving Boris Karloff a LIfetime award. God bless Billy Pratt, he essentially told them to shove it.

He had been on the front lines as The Studios tried to kill S.A.G. as it was being born, and saw the tricks they pulled. He considered the Academy's creation as an attempted short-circuiting of the formation of a true film Guild.

He was right.

wich2

PostThu Oct 12, 2017 8:47 pm

This just in:

For those thinking, "well, at least it wasn't rape!" Think again:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/movies/ct-havery-weinstein-assault-nypd-review-20171012-story.html

mclysaght

PostThu Oct 12, 2017 10:43 pm

And they all come tumbling down!!!!

http://www.latimes.com/business/hollywo ... story.html" target="_blank" target="_blank

wich2

PostFri Oct 13, 2017 8:38 am

Thank God.

Sunlight is still a great disinfectant.

mclysaght

PostFri Oct 13, 2017 9:20 am

So true.

boblipton

PostSat Oct 14, 2017 3:42 pm

Harvey Weinstein has become to second person to be expelled from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has expelled disgraced mogul Harvey Weinstein from its ranks.

The Academy’s 54-member board of governors — which includes such Hollywood luminaries as Steven Spielberg, Tom Hanks, Whoopi Goldberg and Kathleen Kennedy — held an emergency meeting at the organization’s Beverly Hills headquarters today and voted to strip away Weinstein’s lifetime membership.

Following the meeting, the Academy issued a statement saying the board had voted "to immediately expel him from the Academy. We do so not simply to separate ourselves from someone who does not merit the respect of his colleagues but also to send a message that the era of willful ignorance and shameful complicity in sexually predatory behavior and workplace harassment in our industry is over."

The full story is at

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/a ... in-1048914" target="_blank

As any meaningful comment I could make would be so cynical and ironic as to render my editorializing the point of this post, I shall leave it at that.

Bob
To remain ignorant of what occurred before before you were born is to remain forever a child.
-- Marcus Tullius Cicero

momsne

PostSat Oct 14, 2017 4:29 pm

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS) has now, for the first time, put charges of rape, sexual molestation and predatory behavior by Hollywood titans ahead of intellectual property rights. Harvey Weinstein looked at actresses as property to be abused with impunity for decades. AMPAS and the Hollywood press did nothing about reports of Weinstein's predatory behavior. On the other hand, when in 2004, AMPAS learned that actor Carmen Carididi mailed Oscar screeners to a guy, AMPAS wasted no time tossing Caridi out as an Academy member.

FYI: "Weinstein is only the second person to ever be expelled from the Academy in its 90-year history; actor Carmine Caridi was previously thrown out after having been found guilty of loaning out awards season screeners — an Academy no-no — that resulted in the films being pirated online."

wikipedia: On January 13, 2004, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences announced that it had identified a copy of the film Something's Gotta Give, circulated illegally on the Internet, as carrying markings identifying it as coming from a video sent to Caridi in his role as an Oscar voter. Similarly unauthorized copies of The Last Samurai, Mystic River, Big Fish and Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World were also said to have been traced to Caridi. The FBI subsequently began an investigation into the affair.

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences announced on February 3, 2004 that it was expelling Caridi for violating his agreement to safeguard their screeners, making him the first Academy member to be expelled under its anti-piracy policy.

wich2

PostSat Oct 14, 2017 4:49 pm

Well, when discussing this type mess over at CHFB, another poster reminded us that Karloff had once said of a studio,

"The whole PLACE is a toilet!"

So I say -

- "KEEP FLUSHING!"

busby1959

PostSat Oct 14, 2017 7:28 pm

After reading the episode in Shirley Temple's autobiography where Arthur Freed exposed himself to the then 12 year old actress, nothing about the conduct of men in power in the film industry shocks or surprises me anymore

MaryGH

PostSat Oct 14, 2017 8:30 pm

Harvey Wein(er)stein is no isolated case, to be sure, and I'm just glad I don't waste my time or cash on his "clique"
Petition: Turner Enter./Warner Bros: Please digitalize Tom Tyler's FBO silent film westerns

http://bit.ly/2ueCvHe
---
Aventuras de Tom Tyler

http://triggertomblog.blogspot.com/

MoviecollectorOH

PostSun Oct 15, 2017 1:52 am

Enjoy the responses on this forum. Not at all surprised about him.

The only thing I can add so far is that it seems the other members washed their hands of him rather quickly, as to distance themselves. For the most part. I'll bet the iceberg runs deep. Time will tell.

sepiatone

PostSun Oct 15, 2017 3:47 pm

Perhaps guys named Harvey are condemned in a strange twist of fate. ie: Harvey Weinstein, Lee Harvey Oswald, Dr. Harvey Crippin :| . Don't name your sons Harvey. :wink:

SilentsPlease

PostTue Oct 17, 2017 3:38 pm

One of Weinstein's victims, Asia Argento, actually made a semi-autobiographical film in 2000 that has a scene that re-enacts her alleged rape by Weinstein.

Argento again plays a victim in the 1997 thriller "The Stendhal Syndrome" (trailer) that also has a few scenes where her character suffers violent assaults by a male predator, with one of the assaults taking place in a hotel room. 1997 was around the time her alleged rape occurred in a hotel room.

Changsham

PostWed Oct 18, 2017 2:39 pm

Shame Wallace Beery isn’t around anymore to play Harvey when they get around to make the movie or mini series.

Marr&Colton

PostFri Oct 20, 2017 6:34 am

As a guy who recently turned 70 and was around during the 1960s, I wonder why all the outrage of this current scandal.
Our society has gotten progressively more immoral for over 50 years---and it's not just in Hollywood--it's in EVERY strata of English-speaking society! As parents in the early 1960s generally began neglecting religious and moral training, those kids, as adults, generally did not teach their kids what they were never taught.....keep repeating this cycle for over FIVE DECADES, and we now have a generally immoral and violent society--where sex has no meaning other than recreation and everyone is "fair game" for every predator. Our music, movies and internet are full of immoral sex so WHY are we surprised to have this kind of a society? To use the old saying---we are back in Sodom and Gomorah.

There is hope, but that would entail a Biblical discussion, which would not be welcome here.

wich2

PostFri Oct 20, 2017 11:26 am

You have a valid point - but it's far from the only thread in the tapestry.

Another very strong one, is the fact that much of such abuse just wasn't spoken of back in those semi-Victorian times you speak of.

And that sad characteristic was the particular sin of that era.

Marr&Colton

PostFri Oct 20, 2017 3:34 pm

Indeed! This bad behavior has been going on since time immemorial....just reaching a new high in this 21st century.
PreviousNext

Return to Talkie News