LOST footage in new HORIZON restoration

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

wich2

LOST footage in new HORIZON restoration

All Darc

Re: LOST footage in new HORIZON restoration

PostWed Oct 11, 2017 3:35 pm

The blu ray arrived few days ago on market, but this youtube video of the entire film, in a funny perspective with reverberation in sound, and posted on january of 2017, and have the missing piece of the lost scene segments of the first meating with the High Lama.
Watch at 53:15 ahead for about 5minutes.

Have this 4K restoration leaked beofre blu ray reach the market ???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiNVerU1hBA

The 16mm scenes looks a bit better, not so muchdifferent from the rest as the DVD edition. In the DVD the contrast difference was higer. We can notice that despite the weird perspective screen in the youtube video.
Keep thinking...

Ray Faiola

PostWed Oct 11, 2017 5:37 pm

I provided Sony with the French trailer. I was thrilled to see the Spanish and US reissue trailers as well. The feature itself looked fabulous. A home run.
Classic Film Scores on CD
http://www.chelsearialtostudios.com

All Darc

PostWed Oct 11, 2017 6:36 pm

Do you know how the new restored film could be on youtube since january of this year ?

Ray Faiola wrote:I provided Sony with the French trailer. I was thrilled to see the Spanish and US reissue trailers as well. The feature itself looked fabulous. A home run.
Keep thinking...

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostWed Oct 11, 2017 6:41 pm

Who knows? there are many steps where something could get away.

More importantly, who cares? It's completely unwatchable in that form. For $15 you can have it in gorgeous quality.
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

David Alp

PostWed Oct 11, 2017 7:10 pm

As I have a multi-regional player I actually bought the new BluRay restoration by SONY when it was released onto the Australian market earlier this year (or it may even have been late last year now. I forget). Anyhow, the picture quality is just STUNNING now, and I thoroughly recommend this blu-ray.

I wanted to see the restoration differences in real time, so I synchronized the blu-ray with the DVD version, and had them playing simultaneously, (the old DVD version was playing on my laptop), and the blu-ray on my 65 inch TV. It was awesome to see the recently discovered footage of the High Lama.

Please note that the Australian blu-ray release does NOT contain Bob Gitt's essential commentary track! I was really annoyed about that at the time because its one of my favourite commentary tracks, and I took it for granted it would be included, but it is not! However I notice that on this new 80th Anniversary book version (as per the Leonard Maltin link) they say it is now included once again. So I'm a bit mad with myself that I didn't hold off buying it. Oh well -- you live and learn. I won't buy it again, I will just synchronize the DVD with the BluRay again and have the DVD play the sound to the commentary track, whilst I visually watch the Blu-Ray version on my TV.

All Darc

PostThu Oct 12, 2017 6:51 am

Oh, the Australian disc probably was released before the youtube video.

I have this DVD. Bob Gitt's commentary it's very nice. His commentary it's present in the blu ray in USA according a review but it was edited (it had to), since the new 4K restoration apparently used the 16mm footage to direct scan, while in the restoration for the DVD they transfered these scenes from a 35mm blow-up made from the 16mm in the early 70's or so.
Bob explained in the DVD that in the 70's the blow-up to 35mm wasn't very good compared to today (1999 in the DVD time) since they had much better lenses "now", and they could get better results if they had the original 16mm print, but hey could not locate it in 1999.
Now I believe they found the 16mm, since it was explained they direct scanned the 16mm print, according a review.

So we conclude the improvement in the 16mm scenes wasn't due some "magical (new advanced) digital filter algorithm", but mostly result of they had found the 16mm print.

The best digital image enhancement for grainy fuzzy film images was from Lowry Digital Images, but I don't heard for any restoration of them anymore. They used a thousand MACs for render the very heavy algorithm used to extraxct details hiden in the repetitive grain pattern along similar frames. They could propbably make it even a little better, for the 16mm scenes, for the 35mm brithish dupe negative scenes (6 or more generations from camera negative according Gitt) and for the original 35mm print.

This restoration it's not definitive, despite be very good and welcome. The digital tecnology can evolve more. For example, they could create a digital approach to combine the fine grain master (poorly made and somewhat less sharp than the 35mm original print) only to get the extra dynamic range it have, or to be used mathematically as a guide for better manage grain in the 35mm print. I don't talk about just align (like Warner ultra resolution used in technicolor restorations) and overlay, but combine in a way that only get the image information that one 35mm material have more than the other.

The high Lama scenes from 16mm it's almost identical in angle & lights to the 35mm scenes intercalated with it. In future the fine details and textures could probably be "transplanted" from one to another to create a faithfull reconcetruction of the scene as it was originally.

David Alp wrote:Please note that the Australian blu-ray release does NOT contain Bob Gitt's essential commentary track! I was really annoyed about that at the time because its one of my favourite commentary tracks, and I took it for granted it would be included, but it is not! However I notice that on this new 80th Anniversary book version (as per the Leonard Maltin link) they say it is now included once again. So I'm a bit mad with myself that I didn't hold off buying it. Oh well -- you live and learn. I won't buy it again, I will just synchronize the DVD with the BluRay again and have the DVD play the sound to the commentary track, whilst I visually watch the Blu-Ray version on my TV.
Keep thinking...

moviepas

PostFri Oct 13, 2017 3:26 am

Mine came from USA today(stupid mailman left it at my front door with Vampyr instead of it being at my post office box). I am watching it now using the Commentary Track which I am finding very informative and somewhat different than the notes with the Deluxe packaging.

silentmovies742

PostFri Oct 13, 2017 7:23 am

Amazon.com states this as all regions. Does anyone know for sure if this is true?

ClayKing

PostFri Oct 13, 2017 1:09 pm

silentmovies742 wrote:Amazon.com states this as all regions. Does anyone know for sure if this is true?

The region logo on the back of the disc booklet is A-B-C.
-Rich

silentmovies742

PostFri Oct 13, 2017 7:17 pm

ClayKing wrote:
silentmovies742 wrote:Amazon.com states this as all regions. Does anyone know for sure if this is true?

The region logo on the back of the disc booklet is A-B-C.

Thank you.

silentmovies742

PostSun Oct 15, 2017 10:26 am

HMV in the UK are releasing an exclusive blu-ray+DVD+download release of this on 6th November.

https://store.hmv.com/film-tv/blu-ray/lost-horizon-(hmv-exclusive)-the-premium-collect?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4pSQrIXz1gIVITPTCh2KOQ9UEAQYASABEgIVkPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Also released in the same series over the next month is The Big Sleep, Maltese Falcon, The Haunting, House of Wax, Pet Sematary, Clockwork Orange.

£14.99 each or 2 for £25.

Return to Talkie News