KING OF JAZZ on DVD or BluRay

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

bigshot

Re: KING OF JAZZ on DVD or BluRay

PostWed Nov 01, 2017 10:34 am

My experience is that blu-ray players are better at playing CDs and DVDs and recordable media than older dedicated CD and DVD players. I have a blu-ray drive connected to my computer and it rips CDs MUCH faster than my old DVD drive did, and with fewer errors. Blu-ray players and modern flat screen TVs are cheap enough, there's no reason to hang on to old analogue equipment. Thrift stores are the place for that.

s.w.a.c.

PostWed Nov 01, 2017 12:23 pm

I need a blu-ray player that also plays laserdiscs. Any leads? :D
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

Thad Komorowski

PostWed Nov 01, 2017 12:59 pm

I think at this point people need to get with the times and make the upgrade to Blu-Ray and a system with HDMI input. You're really missing out and doing yourself a disservice. And you'll always be able to get some kind of converter that will allow you to use your analog product. I have one of the lower-end Epson projectors and am able to run Blu-Ray, region-free DVD, VHS, and laserdisc just fine.

Donald Binks

PostWed Nov 01, 2017 1:23 pm

Thad Komorowski wrote:I think at this point people need to get with the times and make the upgrade to Blu-Ray and a system with HDMI input. You're really missing out and doing yourself a disservice. And you'll always be able to get some kind of converter that will allow you to use your analog product. I have one of the lower-end Epson projectors and am able to run Blu-Ray, region-free DVD, VHS, and laserdisc just fine.

I have a recommendation too! I think we all should save our pennies and buy a picture theatre - preferably one that still has a Wurlitzer organ in it (for the silents)!

:D
Regards from
Donald Binks

"So, she said: "Elly, it's no use letting Lou have the sherry glasses..."She won't appreciate them,
she won't polish them..."You know what she's like." So I said:..."

bigshot

PostWed Nov 01, 2017 2:15 pm

I've got room for a Wurlitzer organ in my home theater if anyone has one to spare (and can play it! I can't.)

s.w.a.c.

PostThu Nov 02, 2017 6:06 am

Thad Komorowski wrote:I think at this point people need to get with the times and make the upgrade to Blu-Ray and a system with HDMI input.

And while you're at it, try and find a blu-ray player that can be adjusted to play discs from all regions, in case something special comes out overseas that you can't see at home. You can go cheap and get something like a Seiki for under $100, or go large and buy an Oppo, which is a top of the line blu-ray/DVD/CD/SACD/HDCD/DVD-A player.
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

boblipton

PostThu Nov 02, 2017 6:07 am

I'll bring the popcorn!

Bob
He was deeply moved, for the whisky had been generously measured.

-- Dorothy Sayers

ClayKing

PostThu Nov 02, 2017 8:04 am

Sounds like sour grapes. For $60 I bought an upgrade kit which made my Oppo BDP-103 3D blu-ray player region-free. On my big-screen TV the difference between DVD and Blu-ray is palpable, however on my smaller flat panels not so much.
-Rich

wich2

PostThu Nov 02, 2017 9:08 am

Donald Binks wrote:
Thad Komorowski wrote:I think at this point people need to get with the times and make the upgrade to Blu-Ray and a system with HDMI input.

I have a recommendation too! I think we all should save our pennies and buy a picture theatre - preferably one that still has a Wurlitzer organ in it (for the silents)!

(The respective costs for the two choices are VASTLY different!)

Thad Komorowski

PostThu Nov 02, 2017 10:11 am

wich2 wrote:
Donald Binks wrote:

(The respective costs for the two choices are VASTLY different!)

Seriously. This Epson retails for about $300 (I got it for $100 at an auction), and the Blu-Ray player was I think $80? Comparing that to ye olden days, that's getting worlds better quality for very little.

Mark Zimmer

PostTue Nov 07, 2017 1:44 pm

I've never had a DVD amongst my many thousands that wouldn't play in a Blu-ray player, though I have a few Blu-ray discs that won't play in a Blu-ray player; the format was rushed to market to compete with HD DVD and it never really got its requirements down.

Back to KING OF JAZZ, I'd love a Blu-ray of it; when the restoration played here at the local film festival the tickets sold out so fast I didn't manage to get one.

If not for Paul Whiteman, there'd be no Rhapsody in Blue, and Gershwin's career might well have stayed in the musical theatre realm instead of venturing into classical music.

bigshot

PostTue Nov 07, 2017 5:23 pm

Part of the appeal of blu-ray to rights owners is the ability to update encryption standards. This means that if you have an older player, it's possible that a newer disc might have encryption that is unreadable to the old player. The solution to that is to update the firmware in the player by connecting it to the internet and downloading the update from the manufacturer's site. My Oppo updates firmware automatically.
Previous

Return to Talkie News