KING OF JAZZ on DVD or BluRay

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

Ray Faiola

Re: KING OF JAZZ on DVD or BluRay

PostSun Mar 25, 2018 7:07 am

I think, however, that Universal could have budgeted a bit higher for FLY SPRAY!! :D
Classic Film Scores on CD
http://www.chelsearialtostudios.com

drednm

PostSun Mar 25, 2018 7:24 am

Ray Faiola wrote:I think, however, that Universal could have budgeted a bit higher for FLY SPRAY!! :D

LOL..... Yes I noticed a few flies. Those hot lights must have made for a good breeding ground.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
https://wordpress.com/view/silentroomdo ... dpress.com

drednm

PostSun Mar 25, 2018 8:56 am

Jacques Cartier, who does the dance on the drum, also plays the dancing clarinetist in the "Rhapsody in Blue" number.

I met Cartier briefly at a salon/gathering at my writer friend Susan Basquin's house in Santa Fe in the 1980s. I had no idea who he was.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

Thad Komorowski

PostSun Mar 25, 2018 9:59 am

Ray Faiola wrote:I think, however, that Universal could have budgeted a bit higher for FLY SPRAY!! :D

While working on the digital clean-up of early '30s films, I often see the critters flying around on shirts and jackets, and not just during outdoor scenes. It's a mark of good judgment when the artist/technician doesn't erase the insects, mistaking them for dirt.

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostSun Mar 25, 2018 10:44 am

It does make you realize that generally speaking, screens were smaller and lights dimmer in movie theaters in the old days, and most people didn't see that stuff, any more than you'd see it on a 27" TV in the 1970s. Only now do we have the power to inspect movies on the insect level.
“I'm in favor of plagiarism. If we are to create a new Renaissance, the government should encourage plagiarism. When convinced that someone is a true plagiarist, we should immediately award them the Legion of Honor.” —Jean Renoir

drednm

PostSun Mar 25, 2018 1:11 pm

Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

Scott Eckhardt

PostSun Mar 25, 2018 1:26 pm

drednm wrote:Here's my whole 2 cents' worth.....

https://silentroomdotblog.wordpress.com ... jazz-1930/" target="_blank

Great review! And he spelled Marion's last name properly!

busby1959

PostSun Mar 25, 2018 3:16 pm

drednm wrote:

LOL..... Yes I noticed a few flies. Those hot lights must have made for a good breeding ground.

I wonder if this was before or after those flies went over to the set of DIXIANA at RKO.

drednm

PostSun Mar 25, 2018 3:26 pm

busby1959 wrote:
drednm wrote:

I wonder if this was before or after those flies went over to the set of DIXIANA at RKO.

It was a loan out....
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

David Alp

PostMon Mar 26, 2018 10:18 am

oh I am so jealous of you American guys! :( I am going to have to wait till May. :(

So when it's May what will be my CHEAPEST way of buying it (whilst staying with my family in San Ramon near SF) ? Will it be cheaper on the US Amazon site? And if so; HOW do they it to be cheaper than direct from the Criterion site? I don't get that? Do Amazon buy up a lot of the blu-rays in bulk from Criterion do you think?

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostMon Mar 26, 2018 11:35 am

The cheapest would be during either a Criterion or a Barnes & Noble half-off sale, but they only happen at certain times. Amazon's price is usually not half off (and it varies by user, which many people don't realize) but for me it's 30% off, so you're most of the way there.
“I'm in favor of plagiarism. If we are to create a new Renaissance, the government should encourage plagiarism. When convinced that someone is a true plagiarist, we should immediately award them the Legion of Honor.” —Jean Renoir

boblipton

PostMon Mar 26, 2018 11:46 am

David Alp wrote:oh I am so jealous of you American guys! :( I am going to have to wait till May. :(

So when it's May what will be my CHEAPEST way of buying it (whilst staying with my family in San Ramon near SF) ? Will it be cheaper on the US Amazon site? And if so; HOW do they it to be cheaper than direct from the Criterion site? I don't get that? Do Amazon buy up a lot of the blu-rays in bulk from Criterion do you think?

Second Street in the White Castle lot. Tell Ramon that Bobby Chinos from a New York sent you, tell him what you want, come back the next day, slip him a fiver and tell him I said we’re clear.

And don’t ask any questions.

Bob
If no one listens, then it’s just as well. At least I won’t get caught in any lies I tell.
— Joe Darion

Scott Eckhardt

PostMon Mar 26, 2018 8:28 pm

David Alp wrote:oh I am so jealous of you American guys! :( I am going to have to wait till May. :(

Upon looking at the ebay uk site, I see that a seller called blu-ray hdmoviesource will ship the disc directly to you, postage free, for a price of 37.99 pounds. They promise delivery 3 days after shipping. They also have 100% positive customer feedback. This may be more than you wanted to pay, but you will get the movie much quicker. Like you, I am anxious to get this and am picking up my reserved copy at Barnes and Noble first thing tomorrow morning. There are several other sellers offering the film on ebay uk at lower prices, but not including the shipping and not with 100% positive feedback. Just putting the info out there.

BGM

PostTue Mar 27, 2018 8:50 am

Wowee!!!!!!!! The post delivered my package yesterday! It was well worth the wait and all I can say is that it is stunning! I am thankful for all of the hard work and care that went into this project! A very unique film!!

jcp7701

PostTue Mar 27, 2018 10:26 am

If you would have told me circa 1988, when I first viewed this on AMC, that I would see the film looking THIS good some day...

Bravo!

Scott Eckhardt

PostTue Mar 27, 2018 2:05 pm

Having seen the film and knowing how gorgeous it looks, I decided to watch the extras first. This is an extraordinary treasure trove of featurettes, short subjects and cartoons. It will take you 3 hours to watch all the goodies. The featurettes are very informative, and cover the history of Universal Pictures, the arduous art (for anyone on the set) of performing under the extremely hot lights required by Technicolor, the influence black artists had on what we would call today a "white bread" orchestra and it's leader, the theater shows staged by director John Murray Anderson, and the inclusion of some of them in the finished film, and more. The two short subjects are very good, particularly ALL AMERICANS (1929) It's obvious that this transcription of the stage show, THE MELTING POT had an influence on the "Meet My Sister" number from THE SHOW OF SHOWS in addition to being expanded and Technicolored as KING OF JAZZ's finale. The most bizzare thing in this short is a Russian dancer who prances around the stage, not in a particularly Russian style, then does a weird toe dance while spitting knives strategically placed in his mouth onto a board. It has to be seen to be believed. The other short, I KNOW EVERYBODY AND EVERYBODY'S RACKET (1933) features Paul Winchell in a slight story which uses Paul Whiteman and his orchestra as a backdrop. Both films are in very good shape, and are entertaining. The two cartoons are in nice shape as well. Amazingly, the excerpts from the 1933 reissue of KOJ appear to be restored, even though they were excluded from the final print in an effort to recreate the 1930 experience as much as possible. Well, having nibbled on three hours of appetizers, it will now be on to the main course, the gorgeous new print of KING OF JAZZ. The powers that be have done a stunning job on this must-have disc. Get it on blu ray, get it on dvd, just GET IT. You won't be sorry.

drednm

PostTue Mar 27, 2018 7:49 pm

KOJ is now listed at #4 in sales on Amazon under "musicals" behind two versions of The Greatest Showman and Mary Poppins.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

Donald Binks

PostTue Mar 27, 2018 8:10 pm

I had a look at Amazon Australia and the only listing I can find under the title is for the old VHS tape which is mentioned as unavailable. I suppose we will eventually get it, if I live that long.
Regards from
Donald Binks

"So, she said: "Elly, it's no use letting Lou have the sherry glasses..."She won't appreciate them,
she won't polish them..."You know what she's like." So I said:..."

Scott Eckhardt

PostTue Mar 27, 2018 8:18 pm

Donald Binks wrote:I had a look at Amazon Australia and the only listing I can find under the title is for the old VHS tape which is mentioned as unavailable. I suppose we will eventually get it, if I live that long.

Donald, I looked for a friend in Australia and found out that the ebay Australia site will ship there from American distributors using the ebay international shipping plan. The only thing is that they would be coded region 1 for dvd and region A for blu ray, and you would have to have a region free player.

Donald Binks

PostTue Mar 27, 2018 8:21 pm

Scott Eckhardt wrote:
Donald Binks wrote:I had a look at Amazon Australia and the only listing I can find under the title is for the old VHS tape which is mentioned as unavailable. I suppose we will eventually get it, if I live that long.

Donald, I looked for a friend in Australia and found out that the ebay Australia site will ship there from American distributors using the ebay international shipping plan. The only thing is that they would be coded region 1 for dvd and region A for blu ray, and you would have to have a region free player.

Thanks, I'll look into it. I have a region free DVD player.
Regards from
Donald Binks

"So, she said: "Elly, it's no use letting Lou have the sherry glasses..."She won't appreciate them,
she won't polish them..."You know what she's like." So I said:..."

BGM

PostWed Mar 28, 2018 8:37 am

Today is day two of my King of Jazz overdose!!!!! Love the earworms especially of Happy Feet going through my head! :P

Phototone

PostThu Mar 29, 2018 12:36 am

Got my disc yesterday and watched the movie, and ALL the supplements right away. Then went back and started the movie with the commentary on.

drednm

PostThu Mar 29, 2018 4:56 am

Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

boblipton

PostThu Mar 29, 2018 5:20 am

When I reviewed the restoration at New York's Museum of Modern Art a couple of years ago, I noted that the "Rhapsody in Blue" number sounded undermiked by modern standards. How does it sound on home stereo equipment?

Bob
If no one listens, then it’s just as well. At least I won’t get caught in any lies I tell.
— Joe Darion

vitaphone

PostThu Mar 29, 2018 7:51 am

Sounds great Bob. Not undermiked at all (it was not recorded live but pre-recorded for filming). You should get the DVD or BluRay. Magnificent job.

boblipton

PostThu Mar 29, 2018 8:08 am

vitaphone wrote:Sounds great Bob. Not undermiked at all (it was not recorded live but pre-recorded for filming). You should get the DVD or BluRay. Magnificent job.

Yes it is. However, I’ve seen it in a comfortable, filled theater with an appreciative audience on its triumphant re-premiere. How could watching it alone be better?

Bob
— Joe Darion

Scott Eckhardt

PostThu Mar 29, 2018 8:37 am

boblipton wrote:When I reviewed the restoration at New York's Museum of Modern Art a couple of years ago, I noted that the "Rhapsody in Blue" number sounded undermiked by modern standards. How does it sound on home stereo equipment?

Bob

When I saw KING OF JAZZ at The Heights Theater in suburban Minneapolis, the volume did seem a tad low to me, but at home, playing through my soundbar, it sounded great. Good, robust volume, and, for the first time, in the section of "Happy Feet" where the dancer was doubling for Paul Whiteman, I could hear as well as see the cymbals being played. I've played the film 3 times now, and finding lots of new video and audio details each time.

BixB

PostThu Mar 29, 2018 10:03 am

Scott Eckhardt wrote:
boblipton wrote:When I reviewed the restoration at New York's Museum of Modern Art a couple of years ago, I noted that the "Rhapsody in Blue" number sounded undermiked by modern standards. How does it sound on home stereo equipment?

Bob

When I saw KING OF JAZZ at The Heights Theater in suburban Minneapolis, the volume did seem a tad low to me, but at home, playing through my soundbar, it sounded great. Good, robust volume, and, for the first time, in the section of "Happy Feet" where the dancer was doubling for Paul Whiteman, I could hear as well as see the cymbals being played. I've played the film 3 times now, and finding lots of new video and audio details each time.

I saw the film in a theatre twice and in both cases the volume seemed low to me. As Scott mentioned, I was able to crank it up here at home and it sounded so much better.
Joe Busam

bigshot

PostThu Mar 29, 2018 10:24 am

boblipton wrote:I’ve seen it in a comfortable, filled theater with an appreciative audience on its triumphant re-premiere. How could watching it alone be better?

Don't you have any friends you could invite over?

BixB

PostThu Mar 29, 2018 11:01 am

bigshot wrote:
boblipton wrote:I’ve seen it in a comfortable, filled theater with an appreciative audience on its triumphant re-premiere. How could watching it alone be better?

Don't you have any friends you could invite over?

I've already watched it twice. Once with my wife and once alone. Enjoyed it just as much. I'm planning on a KOJ screening party here in our lower level movie room in the next couple of weeks.
Joe Busam
PreviousNext

Return to Talkie News