Trailer for Paul Thomas Anderson's Phantom Thread

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

Trailer for Paul Thomas Anderson's Phantom Thread

PostMon Oct 23, 2017 8:17 am

I wouldn't normally post the trailer for a new film...

but this one rather seems as if it's the new Powell & Pressburger film:

Wonder if she has Red Shoes to go with that red dress. I especially like the close-up of Day-Lewis looking upward... that has a real 40s British look, especially if you imagine it in black and white.
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

s.w.a.c.

Re: Trailer for Paul Thomas Anderson's Phantom Thread

PostTue Oct 24, 2017 10:38 am

According to IMDb, Anderson also served as cinematographer for this, an unusual move, but he seems to have gotten great results, going by the shots in that trailer.
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

boblipton

Re: Trailer for Paul Thomas Anderson's Phantom Thread

PostTue Oct 24, 2017 10:50 am

Paul Thomas Anderson is, I feel, a great film maker who, one day is going to make a film which is so great and so vile that we need to kill him. I think Terry Gilliam reached that point with Tideland, which was so great and so revolting that he had to make a preface in which he explained that children don't see things the same way we adults do. Yes, Terry. We know that. It's quite clear you do not understand why you must die, and we're very sorry for that, but like the man who was found guilty by the Romans of parricide and sentenced to be thrown off the Tarpeian Rocks, who pointed out there was no such crime on the Roman books, yes, you are quite right, and after they threw him off the Tarpeian Rocks, they wrote one.

I'm not saying this is Paul Thomas Anderson's film for which he must die; I'll have to take a look at it and make up my mind first (There Will Be Blood, you have to admit, came pretty close). I'm just saying it's a-coming.

Bob
The matter is complicated, and I shall proceed to complicate it still more.

-- Avram Davidson

Return to Talkie News