BFI Posts a “New” George Arliss Film!

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

bobfells

BFI Posts a “New” George Arliss Film!

PostSat Nov 11, 2017 6:49 pm

The British Film Institute has posted a one-reel sound film of George Arliss delivering speeches by Benjamin Disraeli. This film, his first made in Britain, has likely not been seen since 1931 and is comprised of original material that Mr. A never performed before or since. He is introduced by Tory leader Stanley Baldwin, who himself served as Britain’s prime minister on three occasions between 1923 and 1937.

Click on this link to watch this rare film: https://arlissarchives.com/

wingate

Re: BFI Posts a “New” George Arliss Film!

PostSun Nov 12, 2017 12:55 am

These were made for the Conservative Party,presumably for screening in cinemas at election time.
I remember seeing it at the BFI Southbank many years agi.

bobfells

PostSun Nov 12, 2017 9:10 am

wingate wrote:These were made for the Conservative Party,presumably for screening in cinemas at election time.
I remember seeing it at the BFI Southbank many years agi.

Nice to have it in circulation on the Internet and an addition to the Arliss filmography. Instead of eighteen films, silent and sound, it's 19. Mr. A doesn't mention this film in his memoirs, MY TEN YEARS IN THE STUDIOS, but he does mention a fundraising film he made for the Coronation in 1936 or so.

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostSun Nov 12, 2017 10:26 am

The thing I find astonishing is what a stiff Stanley Baldwin turns out to be. How do you rise in a parliamentary system if you can't deliver an off the cuff speech about one of your most famous politicians?
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

bobfells

PostSun Nov 12, 2017 11:33 am

Baldwin may have been nervous with that camera aimed at him. His body language suggests as much. I'd love to see outtakes (unlikely they exist). British Pathe has been posting outtakes of similar scenes with Churchill showing him flubbing lines or going blank. He shows frustration with himself ("I used to have a good memory") as the off-camera crew assures him that he's doing fine.

Donald Binks

PostSun Nov 12, 2017 2:00 pm

Mike Gebert wrote:The thing I find astonishing is what a stiff Stanley Baldwin turns out to be. How do you rise in a parliamentary system if you can't deliver an off the cuff speech about one of your most famous politicians?

Thankfully in those days one was elected on one's ability to do the job - not on the premise of how one fared as a television personality. (They tell me that Richard Nixon lost the 1960 Presidential election because he didn't look good on the box).
Regards from
Donald Binks

"So, she said: "Elly, it's no use letting Lou have the sherry glasses..."She won't appreciate them,
she won't polish them..."You know what she's like." So I said:..."

wingate

PostSun Nov 12, 2017 2:53 pm

If you watch newsreel film of the speeches of his successor,Neville Chamberlain,you will see a consummate performer capable of addressing the cinema audience.However look how he turned out as a PM.

bobfells

PostSun Nov 12, 2017 3:02 pm

The worst of the 1930s politicians making a spech has to be Mussolini. He all but tells the audience to applaud. Hitler was a good speaker but after Chaplin lampooned him in THE GREAT DICTATOR (1940) I've never been able to watch a Hitler speech without laughing. I suppose it helps in that I have no idea what he's saying.

wingate

PostSun Nov 12, 2017 3:35 pm

To me the funny thing is Baldwin extolling the virtues of a PM of the previous century.On that basis I think the Tories could do something similar for Harold Macmillan played by Bill Nighy.

boblipton

PostSun Nov 12, 2017 3:38 pm

Donald Binks wrote:
Mike Gebert wrote:The thing I find astonishing is what a stiff Stanley Baldwin turns out to be. How do you rise in a parliamentary system if you can't deliver an off the cuff speech about one of your most famous politicians?

Thankfully in those days one was elected on one's ability to do the job - not on the premise of how one fared as a television personality. (They tell me that Richard Nixon lost the 1960 Presidential election because he didn't look good on the box).

How would you explain Chamberlain?

Bob
He was deeply moved, for the whisky had been generously measured.

-- Dorothy Sayers

Donald Binks

PostSun Nov 12, 2017 4:04 pm

boblipton wrote:How would you explain Chamberlain?
Bob

In what way? I don't think that Chamberlain set himself up as a "personality". He merely reflected the feelings of the population at the time - however his popularity plummeted to zero when his policy of appeasement turned to water.

Politicians in those days didn't appear before the public constantly. Turn the TV on now and one is unfortunately continually confronted with the blighters. Back in the '30's one would only have to suffer them at the weekly newsreel or have to listen to them sporadically on the wireless when they got through the Beeb's barriers.

Sometimes I wish to high heaven we could go back to the common sense which once prevailed and we could be rationed on how much exposure politicians get.
Regards from
Donald Binks

"So, she said: "Elly, it's no use letting Lou have the sherry glasses..."She won't appreciate them,
she won't polish them..."You know what she's like." So I said:..."

silentfilm

PostMon Nov 13, 2017 12:43 pm

bobfells wrote:The worst of the 1930s politicians making a spech has to be Mussolini. He all but tells the audience to applaud. Hitler was a good speaker but after Chaplin lampooned him in THE GREAT DICTATOR (1940) I've never been able to watch a Hitler speech without laughing. I suppose it helps in that I have no idea what he's saying.

Return to Talkie News