RIP Juanita Quigley (1931-2017) the Original "Baby Jane"

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

Harlowgold

RIP Juanita Quigley (1931-2017) the Original "Baby Jane"

PostThu Nov 30, 2017 7:22 pm

I don't think anyone has mentioned this here but just learned that Juanita Quigley, one of the most adorable child actresses ever (who can forget her in IMITATION OF LIFE?) passed away about a month ago at age 87. She was billed as "Baby Jane" in some of her early films and was one of the most familiar of child players to moviegoers in the 1930's in scores of films including two "Our Gang" episodes (one of which she was obviously subbing for an apparently unavailable Darla Hood) . Really sad I never sat down and wrote her a letter telling her how much I enjoyed her screen presence:
https://www.verdenews.com/news/2017/nov ... 1931-2017/

Harlowgold

Re: RIP Juanita Quigley (1931-2017) the Original "Baby Jane"

PostThu Nov 30, 2017 7:27 pm

Here's Juanita's IMDb page which has several rare photos that have been added since the last time I looked it up a few years ago.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0703508/
Of course RIFFRAFF (1935) is one of my favorite Juanita appearances cast as Jean Harlow's niece (Una Merkel's daughter) out for some cake Auntie has brought home for her from the party she attended. One of Juanita's most poignant appearances appears to have been the rare ALIAS MARY DOW (1935) in which the infamous Gwynplaine gives a rather moving description of her participation in the film in his review.

I see IMDb still is falsely claiming she has an extra part in PORKY's (1983). Don't know where that rumor came from but it's been around for quite awhile. Is there a woman called "Baby Jane" in the film (not that I'm about to sit through that trash to find out)?

earlytalkiebuffRob

PostFri Dec 01, 2017 1:44 pm

Harlowgold wrote:Here's Juanita's IMDb page which has several rare photos that have been added since the last time I looked it up a few years ago.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0703508/" target="_blank
Of course RIFFRAFF (1935) is one of my favorite Juanita appearances cast as Jean Harlow's niece (Una Merkel's daughter) out for some cake Auntie has brought home for her from the party she attended. One of Juanita's most poignant appearances appears to have been the rare ALIAS MARY DOW (1935) in which the infamous Gwynplaine gives a rather moving description of her participation in the film in his review.

I see IMDb still is falsely claiming she has an extra part in PORKY's (1983). Don't know where that rumor came from but it's been around for quite awhile. Is there a woman called "Baby Jane" in the film (not that I'm about to sit through that trash to find out)?

IMDb cites the film in question as PORKY'S II: THE NEXT DAY. I've seen none of the series entries, but a squeezed, dubbed upload is on YouTube should anyone care to check it out and cite the moment in question...

busby1959

PostSun Dec 03, 2017 1:06 pm

She was such a charmer in every movie she made. I always think of her in IMITATION OF LIFE, asking Claudette Colbert for her "quack quack". An adorable child in every way.

Lostintime

PostSat Dec 16, 2017 2:13 pm

She had a great part as Jackie Cooper’s little sister in “That Certain Age” (1938) where she delivered her funny lines wonderfully.

Harlowgold

PostThu Dec 21, 2017 12:23 pm

Lostintime wrote:She had a great part as Jackie Cooper’s little sister in “That Certain Age” (1938) where she delivered her funny lines wonderfully.

I'll have to be on the lookout for that one, she was such a natural and unaffected presence in her 30's films, good to know of another movie where she has a good part as well.

Lostintime

PostFri Dec 22, 2017 10:22 am

I am sure you will enjoy it. It anticipates in a way the Garland-Rooney- Berkeley musicals with a very witty script and a great cast of young and adult talent.

Return to Talkie News