King of Jazz on The Criterion Collection in March!

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

buskeat

King of Jazz on The Criterion Collection in March!

PostFri Dec 15, 2017 3:26 pm

What wonderful news! Just posted on the Criterion Collection's website. This Blu-Ray is PACKED with special features too.

KING OF JAZZ (1930)
https://www.criterion.com/films/29389-king-of-jazz

Made during the early years of the movie musical, this exuberant revue was one of the most extravagant, eclectic, and technically ambitious Hollywood productions of its day. Starring the bandleader Paul Whiteman, then widely celebrated as the King of Jazz, the film drew from Broadway variety shows of the time to present a spectacular array of sketches, performances by such acts as the Rhythm Boys (featuring a young Bing Crosby), and orchestral numbers overseen by Whiteman himself (including a larger-than-life rendition of George Gershwin’s “Rhapsody in Blue”)—all lavishly staged by veteran theater director John Murray Anderson and beautifully shot in early Technicolor. Long available only in incomplete form, King of Jazz appears here newly restored to its original glory, offering a fascinating snapshot of the way mainstream American popular culture viewed itself at the dawn of the 1930s.

New 4K digital restoration by Universal Pictures, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
    New audio commentary featuring jazz and film critic Gary Giddins, music and cultural critic Gene Seymour, and musician and bandleader Vince Giordano
    New introduction by Giddins
    New interview with musician and pianist Michael Feinstein
    Four new video essays by authors and archivists James Layton and David Pierce on the development and making of King of Jazz
    Deleted scenes and alternate opening-title sequence
    All Americans, a 1929 short film featuring a version of the “Melting Pot” number that was restaged for the finale of King of Jazz
    I Know Everybody and Everybody’s Racket, a 1933 short film featuring Paul Whiteman and His Orchestra
    Two Oswald the Lucky Rabbit cartoons from 1930, featuring music and animation from King of Jazz

boblipton

Re: King of Jazz on The Criterion Collection in March!

PostFri Dec 15, 2017 3:32 pm

All right! The complaining has been going here here since at least 2012, about the lack of the film, the poor quality of the print, the sloth of the restoration, the fact that it's not playing at the poster's neighborhood house, to a lack of a blu-ray/dvd release. What are people going to complain about this restoration now?

It's a sad, sad day when movie fans can't find something to complain about...

Bob
If no one listens, then it’s just as well. At least I won’t get caught in any lies I tell.
— Joe Darion

drednm

PostFri Dec 15, 2017 3:47 pm

boblipton wrote:All right! The complaining has been going here here since at least 2012, about the lack of the film, the poor quality of the print, the sloth of the restoration, the fact that it's not playing at the poster's neighborhood house, to a lack of a blu-ray/dvd release. What are people going to complain about this restoration now?

Bob

It's only on Blu-ray?
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
https://wordpress.com/view/silentroomdo ... dpress.com

Danny Burk

PostFri Dec 15, 2017 3:48 pm

Woo hoo!

Rick Lanham

PostFri Dec 15, 2017 3:52 pm

boblipton wrote:All right! The complaining has been going here here since at least 2012, about the lack of the film, the poor quality of the print, the sloth of the restoration, the fact that it's not playing at the poster's neighborhood house, to a lack of a blu-ray/dvd release. What are people going to complain about this restoration now?

Bob

It won't come out until AFTER the winter Flash Sale???

(A joke, if that wasn't clear)
Last edited by Rick Lanham on Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“The past is never dead. It's not even past” - Faulkner.

vitaphone

PostFri Dec 15, 2017 3:58 pm

As the link clearly states you can buy a DVD or BluRay. Cannot believe a few people here are cinewhining already. Please stop. Sad. You called it Bob Lipton!

This is a major accomplishment that had MANY roadblocks that had to be negotiated.There is nothing to bitch about.

buskeat

PostFri Dec 15, 2017 4:02 pm

vitaphone wrote:As the link clearly states you can buy a DVD or BluRay. Cannot believe a few people here are cinewhining already. Please stop. Sad. You called it Bob Lipton!

This is a major accomplishment that had MANY roadblocks that had to be negotiated.There is nothing to bitch about.

This is easily one of the most extraordinary achievements in recent home video history.

Little Caesar

PostFri Dec 15, 2017 4:08 pm

Bob

To quote W.S. Gilbert:
Ah! Oh, don't the days seem lank and long
When all goes right and nothing goes wrong,
And isn't your life extremely flat
With nothing whatever to grumble at!

Now Criterion and Amazon, post the pre-order link so I can throw my money at you!
Never cry over spilt milk, because it may have been poisoned. - W.C. Fields

drednm

PostFri Dec 15, 2017 4:31 pm

I was kidding, Ron. And I've pre-ordered the DVD.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

Thad Komorowski

PostFri Dec 15, 2017 4:41 pm

Wonder what the two Oswald cartoons will be? My Pal Paul obviously... Maybe Africa, which actually reuses footage from the animated segment in the movie?

Rick Lanham wrote:

Bob

It won't come out until AFTER the winter Flash Sale???

(A joke, if that wasn't clear)

It was crystal clear. I wonder how Mark Twain got by without emoticons.

Changsham

PostFri Dec 15, 2017 7:09 pm

Someone’s bound to complain the colours ain’t right.

westegg

PostFri Dec 15, 2017 9:21 pm

What's the delay filling in the gaps of GOLDDiGGERS OF BROADWAY?????

:oops:

:wink:

bobfells

PostSat Dec 16, 2017 9:12 am

I thought the old VHS edition was terrific. By the time this first came out I was a big PW fan and had read a lot about him and the many musicians in his band, and had managed to hear most of his recordings from the 20s and 30s including the songs from KOJ. I recognized most of the people when I saw the VHS and it added a lot to the experience. So with the restored edition you'll get no complaining from me.

drednm

PostSat Dec 16, 2017 9:27 am

bobfells wrote:I thought the old VHS edition was terrific. By the time this first came out I was a big PW fan and had read a lot about him and the many musicians in his band, and had managed to hear most of his recordings from the 20s and 30s including the songs from KOJ. I recognized most of the people when I saw the VHS and it added a lot to the experience. So with the restored edition you'll get no complaining from me.

When I was a kid I had a 2-sided 78 of Whiteman's "Rhapsody in Blue." No idea what year is was. Probably long gone now.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

bobfells

PostSat Dec 16, 2017 10:31 am

drednm wrote:
bobfells wrote:I thought the old VHS edition was terrific. By the time this first came out I was a big PW fan and had read a lot about him and the many musicians in his band, and had managed to hear most of his recordings from the 20s and 30s including the songs from KOJ. I recognized most of the people when I saw the VHS and it added a lot to the experience. So with the restored edition you'll get no complaining from me.

When I was a kid I had a 2-sided 78 of Whiteman's "Rhapsody in Blue." No idea what year is was. Probably long gone now.

PW made two commercial recordings of "Rhapsody in Blue," both with George Gershwin on piano.The first was a 1924 acoustical, the second was a 1927 electrical recording. Ferde Grofe arranged the score for the Whiteman band and today this first orchestration is known as "the jazz band" version. It has leaner sound than the later, more bombastic "symphonic" version. Because the work had to fit on two sides of a 12-inch 78 rpm record, Gershwin shaved off bits and pieces.

A little "secret": as they gathered in the Victor studio to record the 1927 version, it was realized that Whiteman forgot to hire two musicians for the session. He ran out to find them but the director of the session, Nat Shilkret, either got tired of waiting or there were other sessions waiting to follow PW. When he finally returned, PW found the recording session was in progress, he was locked out of the room, and Shilkret was conducting his band. This is the issued version although the label lists PW conducting. Both the 1924 and the 1927 versions are on YT, etc.

earlytalkiebuffRob

PostSat Dec 16, 2017 1:02 pm

Will this be Region 1 only? My player is rather temperamental regarding Region 1 discs, which makes ordering a bit tricky. Definitely one to take the penknife to the piggy-bank for, though...

Donald Binks

PostSat Dec 16, 2017 4:26 pm

buskeat wrote:What wonderful news! Just posted on the Criterion Collection's website. This Blu-Ray is PACKED with special features too.

KING OF JAZZ (1930)

I don't remember that damsel on the cover being in the picture? :D I say, bit risque for 1930 eh what? Having seen this film at the pictures twice (once the washed-out version, the other being the restored version) and having had a VHS copy of the washed out film, needless to say I am eagerly looking forward to having my very own copy of this picture in it's now pristine condition! Hooray!
Regards from
Donald Binks

"So, she said: "Elly, it's no use letting Lou have the sherry glasses..."She won't appreciate them,
she won't polish them..."You know what she's like." So I said:..."

16mm4FR

PostSat Dec 16, 2017 4:45 pm

HOORAY! Best news of the year. A big thank you to all involved. But, regarding the extras, no original trailer? (I am not one of the original whiners).

David Alp

PostSat Dec 16, 2017 6:02 pm

Simply astounding news! I am literally over the moon! And with a commentary track to boot! Wow!

Roll on March 27th!

Plus -- I am so happy it is The Criterion Collection releasing the film because they truly are the Rolls Royce of blu-ray packages.

BGM

PostSat Dec 16, 2017 6:58 pm

Wow! Wow!! Wowee!!!!!!!! Is all I can say!!! Thank You Universal,Criterion and ALL those involved!!!

moviepas

PostSun Dec 17, 2017 12:31 am

Unless Criterion do a British release it will Region A and if they do a British issue it will be Region B playable in UK, Europe, Australia etc.

If my memory serves me correctly, when RCA Victor issued Rhapsody in Blue in their Vintage Series(Paul Whiteman Volume 1, no Volume 2 was issued). They put the two sides as separate tracks and did not splice them as one and maintained that Side 2 was an Unissued Alternate take.

Marr&Colton

PostSun Dec 17, 2017 4:34 am

As the release date gets close, go onto your local public library websites and request them to buy KING OF JAZZ....this will make it available to many more people and encourage more sales of this significant release!

FrankFay

PostSun Dec 17, 2017 6:23 am

drednm wrote:

Bob

It's only on Blu-ray?

i WILL make that complaint.
Eric Stott

vitaphone

PostSun Dec 17, 2017 11:53 am

It is NOT just on BluRay! The ordering page makes is clear you can order either DVD or BluRay. Sale ends on 12/19. With code SHOP17 it was only $23!

bobfells

PostSun Dec 17, 2017 12:35 pm

moviepas wrote: If my memory serves me correctly, when RCA Victor issued Rhapsody in Blue in their Vintage Series(Paul Whiteman Volume 1, no Volume 2 was issued). They put the two sides as separate tracks and did not splice them as one and maintained that Side 2 was an Unissued Alternate take.

I have both PW Vol. 1 and 2 of the RCA Vintage Series. Rhapsody in Blue is on Vol. 1, the first track on Side B and is spliced together for one continuous performance. I don't recall reading anything about an unissued take being used. Here's info on Side B from the Internet: side two--
Rhapsody in Blue (rec. 4/21/27) --Victor 35822, electrical recut of acoustic Victor 55225. This track is compiled from both sides of Victor 35822.

Steveramm

PostSun Dec 17, 2017 2:47 pm

[quote="vitaphone"It is NOT just on BluRay! The ordering page makes is clear you can order either DVD or BluRay. Sale ends on 12/19. With code SHOP17 it was only $23![/quote]

It doesn't show up that way with the 20% off code. With the code the DVD is down to $19.17 plus $$6.95 shipping = $26.12

BD comes to $23.96 = $6.95 = $30.91

Free shipping only with $50 or more so you may want to buy another as a gift. But $50 order has to be shipped together to get the free shipping.

BTW, is there a real reason to spring for the BD single disc? I'm not an expert but - even with the restoration, would you notice the difference in image? Just curious.

busby1959

PostSun Dec 17, 2017 3:18 pm

My feel still haven't touched the ground since hearing this sensational news! The anticipation of waiting until I have it in my hands makes me feel once again like a child counting the days until his birthday - a lovely sensation to experience in my advanced years.

Regarding anyone who, inconceivable as it seems, has anything to bitch and moan about the condition, content, or timing of the film's release, I have a number or suggestions for you...all of them immoral, indecent and quite justifiably deserving of a prison sentence. You stand warned.

bobfells

PostSun Dec 17, 2017 4:33 pm

I bought both the DVD and the BR. With the pre-order discount plus the 20% discount, the two totaled $51.00 with free shipping.

Somebody asked if the BR was really necessary. Opinions will differ but I’d say it depends on how large a TV or monitor screen you will watch it on. The larger the screen the more you will want the BR.

FilmGauge

PostSun Dec 17, 2017 4:57 pm

Just ordered mine. It took some time to come out, but worth the wait!!!!!!!!!

Thad Komorowski

PostSun Dec 17, 2017 4:57 pm

Steveramm wrote:BTW, is there a real reason to spring for the BD single disc? I'm not an expert but - even with the restoration, would you notice the difference in image? Just curious.

High-definition and standard-definition are night and day.

On the other hand, if you're the type that, say, stretches everything on your TV for 16:9, you won't know the difference anyway.
Next

Return to Talkie News