Daniel Talbot Dead Aged in His Nineties

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

boblipton

Daniel Talbot Dead Aged in His Nineties

PostFri Dec 29, 2017 8:23 pm

He was the Co-Owner of the Lincoln Plaza Cinema Plaza and founder of New Yorker Films, which introduced and distributed such talents as Bertolucci, Herzog and Wayne Wang in the United States.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/danie ... 202650123/

Bob
If no one listens, then it’s just as well. At least I won’t get caught in any lies I tell.
— Joe Darion

Brooksie

Re: Daniel Talbot Dead Aged in His Nineties

PostSat Dec 30, 2017 5:12 am

Also sad is the news that the Lincoln Plaza is set to close in the near future - https://www.villagevoice.com/2017/12/29/saying-so-long-to-lincoln-plaza-the-upper-west-sides-home-for-schlemiels-and-cinephiles-alike/. When I lived in New York I went there regularly. Not a terribly atmospheric theatre, but one where something interesting always seemed to be playing.

SilentsPlease

Re: Daniel Talbot Dead Aged in His Nineties

PostThu Feb 01, 2018 9:53 am

When Dan Talbot received the 2004 Gotham Award for lifetime achievement, his acceptance speech went so long (over 10 minutes, transcript here) that some of the audience members got so annoyed with him that they left their seats completely. This award was not only shown live on TV, but it was also one of Talbot's very few TV appearances, to be sure. There was no editing on live TV, so the 10-minute speech was shown in full. Presenter Jonathan Demme stood on stage for 10 minutes looking abandoned, while the TV camera had no choice but to fill time by showing the empty seats (a whole tableful) of the departed audience members. I saw it live on TV but unfortunately didn't record it, and sadly haven't seen it since. And it's not on Youtube. And yes, it was a pretty good speech that sadly didn't get a better reception.

P.S. Another interminable acceptance speech that riled up the audience was Mike Leigh's "filmmaking from A to Z" speech at the Independent Spirit Awards about 20 years ago, in which Leigh did a sort of countdown by saying, "A is for art..., B for beauty, ... C for cinematography, ..." It got the audience so annoyed that by the time he got to Z, the audience gave him a sarcastic thunderous applause. Anyone remember that? It's not on Youtube either. I also saw it on TV but didn't record it.

Return to Talkie News