Warner Archive for 2018

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

Danny Burk

Re: Warner Archive for 2018

PostMon Jun 04, 2018 5:16 pm

Decotodd wrote:Has WA issued all of the silent pictures they own for which a music track is available? Is it possible they've run out of material without commissioning a new score?

Offhand the only one I can think of is THE WIND, but there are probably other stragglers. For the most part, the unreleased titles are those without scores.

mwalls

PostTue Jun 05, 2018 10:22 am

I am a former subscriber to Filmstruck. I just checked about WB Archive streaming and found they shut down and transferred titles to Filmstruck (I think there was a thread on that a few months ago). I will probably resubscribe to Filmstruck since it seems as though they have added many more classic films. I have a little difficulty navigating their catalog. Do many of these precode/ lessor known WB films find their way to Filmstruck?

Thanks,
Matthew

buskeat

PostWed Jun 06, 2018 1:37 pm

mwalls wrote:I am a former subscriber to Filmstruck. I just checked about WB Archive streaming and found they shut down and transferred titles to Filmstruck (I think there was a thread on that a few months ago). I will probably resubscribe to Filmstruck since it seems as though they have added many more classic films. I have a little difficulty navigating their catalog. Do many of these precode/ lessor known WB films find their way to Filmstruck?

Thanks,
Matthew

Their selection of classic Hollywood films is leaps and bounds above what they offered on Warner Archive Instant. Here's the story on the changes from late February: https://variety.com/2018/digital/news/turner-filmstruck-warner-bros-classic-films-warner-archive-shut-down-1202709741/

They've been adding between 20 and 40 classic Hollywood films every Friday and primarily they bundle them by director or sta. The number depends on the access to that particular actor or director's work. For example, the other week they added 21 Joan Crawford films: The Unknown, West Point, Across to Singapore, Out Dancing Daughters, Our Modern Maidens, Possessed (1931), Grand Hotel, Sadie McKee, The Last of Mrs. Cheyney, Mannequin, The Women, Strange Cargo, A Woman's Face, Above Suspicion, Mildred Pierce, Humoresque, Possessed (1947), Flamingo Road, The Damned Don't Cry, Whatever Happened to Baby Jane and Trog. All films are generally available for six months. It's a nice mix of the canon and rarities. Some are missing obviously. Time periods, I suspect, vary based on the output of whichever star/director they feature.

Every week they also add a TCM Select offering that includes a more in=depth Mankiewicz intro, up to five minutes. Sometimes those aren't up as long. Forbidden Planet was around for just a few weeks.

The service is now absolutely everything I ever wanted it to be.

mwalls

PostWed Jun 06, 2018 5:06 pm

buskeat wrote:
mwalls wrote:I am a former subscriber to Filmstruck. I just checked about WB Archive streaming and found they shut down and transferred titles to Filmstruck (I think there was a thread on that a few months ago). I will probably resubscribe to Filmstruck since it seems as though they have added many more classic films. I have a little difficulty navigating their catalog. Do many of these precode/ lessor known WB films find their way to Filmstruck?

Thanks,
Matthew

Their selection of classic Hollywood films is leaps and bounds above what they offered on Warner Archive Instant. Here's the story on the changes from late February: https://variety.com/2018/digital/news/turner-filmstruck-warner-bros-classic-films-warner-archive-shut-down-1202709741/

They've been adding between 20 and 40 classic Hollywood films every Friday and primarily they bundle them by director or sta. The number depends on the access to that particular actor or director's work. For example, the other week they added 21 Joan Crawford films: The Unknown, West Point, Across to Singapore, Out Dancing Daughters, Our Modern Maidens, Possessed (1931), Grand Hotel, Sadie McKee, The Last of Mrs. Cheyney, Mannequin, The Women, Strange Cargo, A Woman's Face, Above Suspicion, Mildred Pierce, Humoresque, Possessed (1947), Flamingo Road, The Damned Don't Cry, Whatever Happened to Baby Jane and Trog. All films are generally available for six months. It's a nice mix of the canon and rarities. Some are missing obviously. Time periods, I suspect, vary based on the output of whichever star/director they feature.

Every week they also add a TCM Select offering that includes a more in=depth Mankiewicz intro, up to five minutes. Sometimes those aren't up as long. Forbidden Planet was around for just a few weeks.

The service is now absolutely everything I ever wanted it to be.

Thank you for the rundown and the link. I resubscribed.

Matthew

silentfilm

PostThu Jun 07, 2018 12:05 pm

SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS - TWO DISC SPECIAL EDITION BLU-RAY (1954) New to Blu-ray with a 2018 1080p HD Remaster (Disc One) First Time in 1080p HD (Disc Two)
The "B" Musical that could, and did, conquer the big screen comes roaring and leaping to life at least in lush and lively 1080p HD on Blu-ray. Long sought for, and finally achieved, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers is sharper, brighter and stronger sound than ever in this special two-disc presentation. Howard Keel and Jane Powell, two of musical film's greatest performers ably command a cast of actors, dancers and tumblers in this tale of questionable courting in mid-19th century Oregon. Buoyed by Stanley Donen's up-for-any-challenge direction that included shooting a larger-than-life landscape musical indoors on the lot, Michael Kidd's stunning choreography and a sly, sweet and clever score from Johnny Mercer and Gene de Paul, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers was an instant classic and one of the biggest blockbusters of all time. Also includes the seldom seen alternate "wide screen" version of the film, presented in HD on a second Blu-ray disc. It's a keeper - see for yourself. Special Features: Audio Commentary by Stanley Donen (2004); "MGM Jubilee Overture" Short Subject, Remastered in 1080p HD and Lossless DTS HD-Master Audio 5.1; "Sobbin' Women: The Making of Seven Brides for Seven Brothers," hosted by Howard Keel (SD); Radio City Music Hall Premiere - July 22, 1954 (SD); "MGM's 30th Anniversary" (1954 MGM Newsreel) (SD). 16x9 Letterbox (Disc One), 16x9 Widescreen (Disc Two)

DESIGNING WOMAN (1957) New to Blu-ray with a 2018 1080p HD Remaster
Lauren Bacall delights in one of her finest screen performances in a mid-century modern take on the mismatched romance comedy in the vein of It Happened One Night and Woman of the Year . Bacall plays Marilla Hagen, an uptown fashion designer who helps sportswriter Mike Hagen (Gregory Peck) out of a jam and into matrimony while on vacation. When the pair returns east, they discover that their different lifestyles - and some ex-flames - may be more than they bargained for. Director Vincente Minnelli's sumptuous mise-en-scene, production design, color palette and framing pops like never before in this crystal-clear HD transfer along with a bevy of gorgeous gowns from designer Helen Rose who also came up with the plot. Special Features: Theatrical Trailer (HD); Behind the Scenes Mini-Documentary Featuring Costume Designer Helen Rose. 16x9 Letterbox

RE-DISC-OVERIES
THE BAND PLAYS ON (1934) New to DVD
A quartet of street kids is caught stealing a car and get sent to an unusual reform school - the gridiron. Entrusted into the care of Pacific University's head football coach Howdy Hardy (Preston Foster), the four youths grow into young sports stars as Hardy's Bombers, masters of the backfield. Tony (Robert Young) and Stuffy (Stuart Erwin) vie for the affections of Kitty (Betty Furness), sister of teammate Mike (Russell Hardie) while Rosy (William Tannen) tries to keep his head in the game while cracking the books. The boys' reformation gets threatened by Mike's and Kitty's older brother Joe (Ted Healy), who tempts Tony with the promise of quick and easy dough, sans scruples. After Stuffy and number one fan Angelo (Leo Carillo) get injured in an auto accident while trying to steer Tony away from Joe, the Bombers end up banished to the bench. But the boys are determined to get back into Howdy's good graces and back on the field.

A MODERN HERO (1934) New to DVD
Richard Barthelmess stars as a self-made Übermensch who wills himself to power through a series of seductions in this existential epic from celebrated cineaste G.W. Pabst (High and Low). Pierre Radier (Barthelmess) may be the bastard love child of a leopard tamer and the son of Europe's wealthiest clan, but he's also the best bareback horseman under the big top in the states - and that's not good enough for him. Dreams of wealth and power frame his every ambition, so much so that when he falls for Joanna Ryan (Jean Muir), she rejects his offer of marriage despite her most delicate condition. Pierre claws his way out of the circus and into big business from bicycle shop to automobile manufacturer to munitions magnate thanks to the ministrations of a wealthy widow (Florence Eldridge), a wealthier heiress (Dorothy Burgess) and a high society mistress (Verree Teasdale) but his rapid ascent is eclipsed by a steeper and tragic fall.

BABY FACE HARRINGTON (1935) New to DVD
Legendary "tough guy" director Raoul Walsh (High Sierra, White Heat) helms this crime comedy caper that places perpetual milquetoast Charles Butterworth at the center of the action. Butterworth plays Willie Harrington, mild-mannered spouse of socially ambitious Millicent (Una Merkel). Pushed by Millie to be more of a man, Willie's demand for a raise at work is mistaken for a resignation. Desperate to secure his mortgage, Willie cashes in a life insurance policy and promptly loses the money. Accidentally brandishing a gun while blaming an innocent broker (Donald Meek) for the loss, Willie becomes an armed bandit only to discover his error. Before he can make amends however, he's rolled by the notorious bank robber Rocky Bannister (Nat Pendleton). Now dubbed "Baby Face" and believed to be the mastermind behind Bannister's crimes, the phony felon must face down some very real criminal McCoys.

KID NIGHTINGALE (1939) New to DVD
Boxing manager "Honest" Skip Davis (Walter Catlett) is desperate when his latest prospect turns out to be more of a mug than a pug. Drowning his sorrows, he makes his latest discovery: singing waiter Steve Nelson (John Payne), after the waiter knocks out some hecklers. Promising Steve lessons from the great opera coach Rudolfo Terassi (Harry Burns), Skip persuades Steve to sign on as a fighter. While Steve fails to impress big league boxing promotor Mike Jordan (Ed Brophy), he does make quite the impression on the ladies, including Judy Craig (Jane Wyman). Mike's main competition, Charles Paxton (Charles D. Brown), notices and hatches a scheme in concert with Skip. They'll use Steve's burly good looks and beautiful baritone to land some ladies in the seats while building "Kid Nightingale's" rep, thanks to a series of rigged fights. And to keep Steve happy, they'll have wrestler Strangler Colombo (Harry Burns) impersonate Terassi!

THE MAN FROM DOWN UNDER (1943) New to DVD
Acting luminary Charles Laughton stars as stalwart Anzac soldier Jocko Wilson in this saga set between the world wars. The big-hearted Jocko impulsively adopts a pair of Belgian war orphans in the closing days of World War I, intending to raise them with his singing sweetheart Aggie (Binnie Barnes). Jocko succeeds in smuggling the orphans out, but Aggie is left stranded. Jocko raises the pair in his native Australia and the boy, Nipper (Richard Carlson), becomes a lightweight boxing champion while the girl, Mary (Donna Reed) attends boarding school. Jocko buys a hotel with winnings courtesy of Nipper and Aggie, now a rich widow, who re-enters his life. To Jocko's chagrin, rekindling their romance is the last thing Aggie has in mind while Nipper is driven to abandon the family, breaking both Jocko's and Mary's hearts. It takes the start of World War II and a Japanese invasion to bring the Wilsons back together - but at what cost?

s.w.a.c.

PostWed Jun 13, 2018 8:31 am

This is as good a place as any for a Warner Archive question, a friend of mine was curious why they haven't put Hitchcock's Stage Fright out on BD, after doing The Wrong Man, Suspicion and I Confess. The only other WB title not on BD I think is Mr. & Mrs. Smith.

I watched my WB DVD copy last night, and noticed a large vertical scratch at the tail end of the film, so I guessed there must be some delay in doing restoration/preservation on the title, but I always figured a Hitchcock film would be a Grade-A priority for a studio like WB.

Does anyone have some info on this?
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

Keatonesque

PostFri Jun 15, 2018 4:15 pm

Taken from a recent interview, here's our beloved Kevin Brownlow on the abomination (imo) that is Warner Brothers when it comes to their silents:

Q: Why did you choose Rex Ingram’s Mare Nostrum [1926] to show for this celebration?

A: Rex Ingram has been quite forgotten. I very seldom come upon a screening of anything he’s done. The last time Photoplay restored one of his films it was The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse [in 1992]. I was quite used to seeing it in the versions available over here, but it looks so much better and is such a better a film when you see it as it was released in 1921. When it was reissued the year Rudolph Valentino died, in 1926, it coincided with a number of treaties in which European countries agreed to try not to go to war with one another. So they cut out scenes of a German orgy and executions and so on. Editing out those and a few other scenes made it a much less interesting picture. It was marvelous to restore them and add a really stunning score by Carl Davis.

And it’s really frustrating that Warner Bros. has yet to fulfill its promise of putting that out on DVD. They did do Ben-Hur [as part of the 1959 version’s collector’s edition] and Flesh and the Devil and The Big Parade. But they were going to put out all the MGM restorations we did at Thames Television. They included The Crowd, The Wind, and Show People, most with marvelous scores by Carl Davis. When I located the original negative of The Big Parade, they did a marvelous job with that, and they must have been disappointed when it failed to meet their financial expectations. Still, it’s a form of commercial censorship.

Lest we forget, in considering Warner's output on Blu-Ray, out of 665 HD releases thus far, only two have been from the Silent era.

Source: https://www.filmcomment.com/blog/interview-kevin-brownlow/
Previous

Return to Talkie News