Nanette Fabray Dead at 97

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

drednm

Nanette Fabray Dead at 97

PostFri Feb 23, 2018 8:37 pm

Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
https://wordpress.com/view/silentroomdo ... dpress.com

sepiatone

Re: Nanette Fabray Dead at 97

PostSat Feb 24, 2018 8:17 am

Wonderful actress, I was hoping she'd make her century. Bless her and several performers approaching their century mark like the great Nehemiah Persoff and Doris Day.

boblipton

PostSat Feb 24, 2018 8:27 am

Here she is with Fred Astaire and Jack Buchanan in a number that I first saw from the balcony of the Regency about 40 years ago and helped make The Band Wagon one of my favorite musicals:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjW_yvrC0cE" target="_blank

Bob
Last edited by boblipton on Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If no one listens, then it’s just as well. At least I won’t get caught in any lies I tell.
— Joe Darion

Mitch Farish

PostSat Feb 24, 2018 9:49 am

boblipton wrote:Here she is with Fred Astaire and Jack Hawkins in a number that I first saw from the balcony of the Regency about 40 years ago and helped make The Band Wagon one of my favorite musicals:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjW_yvrC0cE" target="_blank

Bob

Jack Buchanan.

earlytalkiebuffRob

PostSat Feb 24, 2018 1:57 pm

Mitch Farish wrote:
boblipton wrote:Here she is with Fred Astaire and Jack Hawkins in a number that I first saw from the balcony of the Regency about 40 years ago and helped make The Band Wagon one of my favorite musicals:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjW_yvrC0cE" target="_blank" target="_blank

Bob

Jack Buchanan.

Yes, that had me doing a double-take as well. And she also appeared (as Fabares) in THE PRIVATE LIVES OF ELIZABETH AND ESSEX in 1939.

BGM

PostSun Feb 25, 2018 12:19 pm

I was saddened to hear this news. She was always vibrant in her interviews and she is interviewed as part of the "making of" extras on The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex dvd.

brendangcarroll

PostSun Feb 25, 2018 1:00 pm

Mme Fabray was a gracious and wonderful lady. I was greatly privileged to meet and interview her. The obituary omits the fact that she was also a Max Reinhardt pupil, appearing in some of his stage productions in 1939-41 in Los Angeles, especially Goldoni's farce AT YOUR SERVICE in which she co-starred with a young Robert Ryan, with musical direction by Erich Wolfgang Korngold.
"Korngold has so much talent he could give half away and still have enough left for himself..." Giacomo Puccini (1921)

Harlowgold

PostMon Feb 26, 2018 4:39 pm

RIP. I thought she was wonderful in THE BAND WAGON although the occasional snob movie musical historian will knock her (very enjoyable) "Louisiana Hayride" number. History hasn't quite acknowledged how terrific a comedienne she was - I mean she filled Imogene Coca's shoes so well as Sid Caesar's femme partner that she won several Emmys (and of course was eventually replaced by another actress since Mr. Caesar apparently did not like competition). It was great to see her infrequent guest appearances on The Mary Tyler Moore Show and her semi-regular part on One Day at a Time was the best thing about that lame show. She was a regular guest star on variety shows for as long as they lasted and I remember her in some tv Alice in Wonderland musical that aired for years.

Nanette also had a wonderful reputation as being gracious and easy to work with, the late songwriter Hugh Martin raves about her in his autobiography (they worked together in the Broadway musical Mr. President) saying she was one of the great ladies he had known.

MaryGH

PostMon Feb 26, 2018 5:32 pm

Many years ago I had a VHS set of Sid Caesar's "Your Show of Shows" and she appeared in a number of skits with him. She seemed like a very charming and gracious lady. RIP
Petition: Turner Enter./Warner Bros: Please digitalize Tom Tyler's FBO silent film westerns

http://bit.ly/2ueCvHe
---
Aventuras de Tom Tyler

http://triggertomblog.blogspot.com/

silentfilm

PostThu Mar 01, 2018 12:44 pm

She was at Cinecon about 10 years ago and did a great interview. If you have not seen the "Louisiana Hayride" number in The Band Wagon, it has a blooper where a studio worker walks in the background for 2-3 seconds. Nobody noticed it during filming, and they were not about to re-assemble the cast and rebuild the set to fix this one shot. Although this was her first big role, and the first musical number that featured her, she was disappointed at the time. She definitely didn't take herself too seriously.

busby1959

PostThu Mar 01, 2018 7:57 pm

Nanette also appeared in a number of stage musicals, but unfortunately she never had a breakout role that brought her the stardom she deserved. Most of her Broadway shows - "Arms and the Girl", "Make a Wish"', "Love Life", "Mr. President" - which, despite her good reviews, had short runs. "High Button Shoes" and "Love Life" ran longer but for some reason she never attained the legendary status of many other Broadway ladies who were just as talented and appealing than she was.

David Alp

PostSun Mar 04, 2018 8:48 pm

Go to 01:08 and you will see the prior mentioned staff-member walking about at the back of the set.

Return to Talkie News