Restoring Laurel & Hardy's A Perfect Day

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

Silas

Restoring Laurel & Hardy's A Perfect Day

PostThu Mar 08, 2018 11:10 pm

Donate to help fund UCLA's restoration of A Perfect Day. It's tax deductible plus you'll get to see the ultra-rare Laurel and Hardy outtake and blooper reel "That's That."

https://spark.ucla.edu/project/9366

sethb

Re: Restoring Laurel & Hardy's A Perfect Day

PostSat Mar 10, 2018 1:03 pm

I hope the restoration will be able to clean up one particularly bad section. In the version of A PERFECT DAY that was included in the recent multi-disc "Essential" compilation of the L & H sound shorts, the climatic sequence of the car sinking into the giant pothole was a very obvious and poorly done dupe.

At some prior point in time, someone had clearly clipped out that sequence from the original print (or negative!) and replaced it with the dupe copy. I'm hoping that better film elements can be located for the restoration. It's indeed ironic that the more popular a film is, the more likely it is that the original negative and other remaining elements are often not in the best shape, due to overprinting and excessive handling over the years. SETH
"Novelty is always welcome, but talking pictures are just a fad." -- Irving Thalberg
"Who the hell wants to hear actors talk ?" -- Harry Warner

moviepas

PostSun Mar 11, 2018 1:52 am

indeed ironic that the more popular a film is, the more likely it is that the original negative and other remaining elements are often not in the best shape, due to overprinting and excessive handling over the years. SETH

MGM's 1935 Mutiny on the Bounty was a case in point and MGM made a point in mentioning in video versions this fact but in that case I found it very compared to so many others and love the film. The real bad MGM one for me in The Great Ziegfeld which is also a super long film. Trouble is at the time they all too often made multiple prints from the OCN direct and some guys working in the labs might not have been over careful. In the period 'lavender' prints were made off the OCN for export to places like Australia for printing local prints. Color films were sent as processed Technicolor prints as there were no labs capable of processing Technicolor then and even the first color film made in Australia(Jedda, 1955 on blu ray) had the Gevacolor reels sent to England for processing nightly via airfreight from the day's filming. That film was missing for a long time as a result in the lab.

I had, and may still have, a 16mm Blackhawk The Perfect Day and I remember the film and the mentioned scene well. I don't recall anything wrong in any part of the reel and, in fact, it was indeed a perfect print compared to other Roach films I bought from Blackawk's negatives.

I still have thoughts of that guy who was supposed to have bought bucket loads of Roach negatives and stored them in his garage, unlined, in the California desert. Surely this can't be true?

earlytalkiebuffRob

PostSun Mar 11, 2018 1:57 pm

...and of course we may get to hear Edgar Kennedy say 's**t' more clearly than before!

Will this also involve removing Marvin Hatley's music for the 1936 reissue? Hopefully we'll have both choices, although again there is the question of restoring the original titles. It seems to me that we should have both, especially as this was how most of us would have seen Stan and Ollie's films originally, and probably in ignorant bliss of the reissue alterations.

bigshot

PostSun Mar 11, 2018 10:05 pm

Just release anything by Laurel and Hardy on blu-ray. It doesn't have to be perfect. It's a crime how neglected the L&H films are.

Tboneator64

PostFri Mar 30, 2018 2:52 am

bigshot wrote:Just release anything by Laurel and Hardy on blu-ray. It doesn't have to be perfect. It's a crime how neglected the L&H films are.

The sad part is Richard W Bann indicated that the "Essential Collection" titles were mastered in HD, in case of a future Blu-ray release. Unfortunately, the current U.S. rights holders have instead chosen to make them available only as domestic digital downloads. Customers outside the U S, such as myself, are S.O.L. insofar as having any access to these higher resolution versions! :(

Return to Talkie News